House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Top Gear Patagonia Special

I almost forgot about it.

Shame they couldn't have engineered some newsworthy Clarkson controversy, during the filming, to encourage everyone to watch.

One was a play on the "There's a slope on it" gag

The other was a play on 'Building bridges' from earlier that episode

I almost forgot about it.

Shame they couldn't have engineered some newsworthy Clarkson controversy, during the filming, to encourage everyone to watch.

Something surrounding the Falklands war maybe? How about a car with the number plate L982BLG

Apologies..

Really wasn't worth the wait was it?

Must have been under strict instructions from John Freeman not air anything that might wind up the Argentineans.

Predictably as an engine geek I'm annoyed that they couldn't get the bit about engine balance right. As any fule kno the reason a cross-plane V8 has a wonky exhaust note is that the engine itself is perfectly balanced, thanks to the crank webs being designed heavier than usual to counteract the weight of the rods and pistons. Meanwhile a flat-plane V8 cannnot be perfectly balanced, but can rev hard thanks to the light crank, packing in twice as many cylinders while only creating 1.41x the vibration of one flat bank of four cylinders of the same size.

Predictably as an engine geek I'm annoyed that they couldn't get the bit about engine balance right. As any fule kno the reason a cross-plane V8 has a wonky exhaust note is that the engine itself is perfectly balanced, thanks to the crank webs being designed heavier than usual to counteract the weight of the rods and pistons. Meanwhile a flat-plane V8 cannnot be perfectly balanced, but can rev hard thanks to the light crank, packing in twice as many cylinders while only creating 1.41x the vibration of one flat bank of four cylinders of the same size.

I've had nothing but the former type! A V8 that is not 90 degrees is "un natural"!

I watched part 2. Imo it was a total mess of a television programme. They clearly didn't seem to have enough footage for the show hence a section at the start talking and end and where they drove around in circles on a dried up lake bed. A long bit around crossing a river.

I watched part 2. Imo it was a total mess of a television programme. They clearly didn't seem to have enough footage for the show hence a section at the start talking and end and where they drove around in circles on a dried up lake bed. A long bit around crossing a river.

+1

It was almost as if they realised that there was not enough content to milk two programmes out of it so...

I literally glanced away from the TV for a moment and missed how James May cracked. allegedly, his ribs. Did he really crack his ribs? Then Hammond apparently had a tracking road snap in his car which was unrepairable... and then it was magically repaired in the middle of nowhere.

+1

It was almost as if they realised that there was not enough content to milk two programmes out of it so...

I literally glanced away from the TV for a moment and missed how James May cracked. allegedly, his ribs. Did he really crack his ribs? Then Hammond apparently had a tracking road snap in his car which was unrepairable... and then it was magically repaired in the middle of nowhere.

I want to know how they got the other 20 vehicles across that rocky beach.

The ribs bit was kind of plausible, he fell off a horse.

Anyway, it seems a FOI request to the DVLA would clear up the issue of the number plate. I suspect they would hide behind the Data Protection Act in order not to answer the questions. All they would need to answer is whether the plate had been transferred in the last, say, 12 months.

It was funny looking at Twitter afterwards and seeing the sheeple describe Argentinians as 'scum', etc.

Here's one I'm doing the head gasket and valve stem seals on. Not convinced they're a great design for reliability,

attachicon.gifV8 engine.jpg

Do you have a car to put it in?

The bit about the roads was totally stupid too, there was no stipulation on what type of route they had to take. A quick 5 minute Google shows that Route 40 would have taken them most of the way and seems to be tarmac for a lot of its length. Why didn't they split up and take different routes? Why did they use a paper map?

Obviously I relaise an uneventful trip by a normal road wouldn't have made for scintillating TV!

I haven't seen Part 2 yet but concur with the general sentiment, Part 1 was just dull.

This is surprising as these old car challenges are usually the best TV of the year. Cheap Porsches, US road trip and £1 cars were all excellent.

The ribs bit was kind of plausible, he fell off a horse.

Anyway, it seems a FOI request to the DVLA would clear up the issue of the number plate. I suspect they would hide behind the Data Protection Act in order not to answer the questions. All they would need to answer is whether the plate had been transferred in the last, say, 12 months.

It was funny looking at Twitter afterwards and seeing the sheeple describe Argentinians as 'scum', etc.

I saw an interview with James May and apparently it was genuine, they had the choice of two 928s with a manual box, one was a dog so they bought the one in the programme. The number had been on it since it was first registered...so he said