House Price Crash Forum

What Would It Take To Force You Abroad?

HOLA441

I must admit that increasingly I am serioulsy thinking of moving abroad. I am not a 'grass is always greener on the other side' sort of person - no where is perfect.

It would be the biggest decision I ever made and wouldn't be easy.

I don't hate the UK either. It has some wonderful things going for it.

Neither do I crave golden beaches and promises of an idilic lifestyle.

But as time goes on I just can't see this country getting out of the mess it is in - economically and socially.

I am thinking of setting myself a target - if house prices don;t come down and the standard of living and quality of life doesn't improve in the next two years then I am going to start the process of moving abroad.

So my question is - what would it take to make you think serioulsy about moving abroad and is anyone else thinking of this option?

P.S I know there has been some discussion on here before about the pros and cons of living abroad but what I am trying to gauge is how many people on here are seriously so fed up with the UK they would now consider leaving.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
So my question is - what would it take to make you think serioulsy about moving abroad and is anyone else thinking of this option?

Quality of Life. A community where people say "Good morning" to you and knock on your door if they don't see you for a day or two. Women who do not gorge themselves on cream cakes and who then become bitter and twisted about how miserable they are. A woman who wishes to be a wife, a mother and a lover to a man who wishes to be a husband, father and a lover. Someone to grow old with. No rubbish on the streets and a good pub. Being happy.

You now, that place that Steve Martin lived in when he played the Fire Chief in Roxanne!

HOLA443

The TB/GB combo made me do it several years ago, best thing I ever did but most of the ills that beset UK are present to one degree or another everywhere. But at least the weather is better.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I have lived abroad - spent a year living in australia- have also worked in NZ for 3 months and spent some time there- the simple fact is that the standard of living in these countries is far better than it is here! The lifestyle is great and they are fantastic countries!

The only thing that stops me from going back to either of these countries is being so far away from friends & family!

If I could take everyone with me, I would go tomorrow! But living away from the UK made me realise that life isnt about material stuff- its about the people you have in it! :)

HOLA446

I've done abroad, and it didn't suit me.

I'm a brit down to my DNA - and moaning about the state the country is in is part of being a brit!

Other countries often look much better from the outside than they look like from the inside.

Some Setheffrican friends of mine emigrated to Oz from London a few years ago - last time I spoke to them they were moaning about the same as when they were in Lunnn.

Basically, wherever you go, you are the same person. If you are miserable here, there is a good chance you'll be miserable wherever you go.

On the plus side, having sampled abroad I am now a lot more positive about the UK.

HOLA447

I have lived abroad - spent a year living in australia- have also worked in NZ for 3 months and spent some time there- the simple fact is that the standard of living in these countries is far better than it is here! The lifestyle is great and they are fantastic countries!

The only thing that stops me from going back to either of these countries is being so far away from friends & family!

If I could take everyone with me, I would go tomorrow! But living away from the UK made me realise that life isnt about material stuff- its about the people you have in it! :)

Ah that's really nice, like they say sometimes you have to miss something/ someone to appreciate it/them.

Our Son lives in Russia [love did it] now I would not recommened Russia as a place to live, grabbing landlord is putting their rent up 80% so they are having to find a new flat when he is back home in Russia in January [he works in Kazakhstan month on month off] they were both coming to the UK in January but its off now. :angry:

Edited by Catch22

HOLA448

I've applied to do a chiropractic course. For several reasons, that I'll have a skill/career that will last me until I retire, that I can work for myself and not have to sit behind a computer and also importantly that it is an internationally recognised qualification and therefore will give me the option to move abroad. This is now very important to me because I want 2-3 kids and if things don't change here that just isn't going to be affordable. Housing and just about everything is too expensive and the transport is shit/overcrowded. £84 for a 2hour 20min train journey from London - Darlington on monday. Seriously, £84. UK is a rip off.

I'd now rather spend my hard saved deposit money on re-training than on housing in this country.

Also, apparently this country is going to get a lot colder as the gulf stream shuts down!!

Edited by munimula

HOLA449

spain sounds good in one of those mostly english towns. sod integration. i havemt time. i want to read the sun in the sun. gibraltar is another one. malta. france if you can deal with the red tape.

either way, there not full of violent chavs and wrong generational proportions.

whos going to want to stay here and fund the pensions up till 69 years old.?

not very many i bet....

HOLA4410

spain sounds good in one of those mostly english towns. sod integration.

Totally agree, if there is a need for intergration its down to them foreigners to do it. I for one don't subscribe to all this crap about going abroad to get away from the ills of British Society, only to have the indiginous society force their way of life onto me.....bloody cheek of it :angry:

Edited by Catch22

HOLA4411
Guest Bart of Darkness
What Would It Take To Force You Abroad?

The loss of the Gulf stream.

A Weimar Republic style economic collapse.

Nothing major really.

HOLA4412

spain sounds good in one of those mostly english towns. sod integration. i havemt time.

I like your style

:lol::lol::lol:

My brother is moving to Spain in two weeks. He has had enough of the UK, He has been to Spain a lot - made freinds over there and got a job set up.

So he has sold up and off he goes.

Why?

He is fed up paying taxes for cr@p services (and no this is not just a moan - on his last trip over there his wife was taken very seriously ill - nearly died - he couldn't praise the care she got here enough. In contrast the care she got in the UK has been very bad at times)

No Chavs

You don't have to work 25 hours a day to scrape together enough money for a half decent life style.

People are friendly

It is not a society dominated by greed/bullying/shafting/ripping off/ etc etc

You are expected to support your family - but not everyone elses

The sun shines !!!!!

Just his thoughts but that has sent him packing and he can't wait (neither can I .....FREE HOLIDAY)

HOLA4413

We lived in Italy for 3 years because of OHs job. Loved it and would do it again. The only things I missed were book shops. Friends and family came to visit us and I didn't come back to the UK once during that time.

Edited by libitina

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Ah well, corny, but...a development oppurtunity in a developing country is my dream...get to sample a new culture whilst giving something back to the people. Going to Africa would be amazing. South America would be a dream too.

If you're young, free, and single - do it - lifes too short

HOLA4416

The UK has had things pretty good for about 15 years and it seems that the economic cycle is about to take us back to the days of discontent with ever increasing taxes, strikes, falling pound and a generally pervasive negativism. North Sea oil is about to run out and Gordon's credit driven economic miracle is about to catch up with itself. I think the best years may be behind us for another decade or so (maybe more if India and China remain the economic driving forces in the world in the long run) and moving overseas may not be a bad idea. I do it about every 7 years or so but keep coming back for some reason!

Oh, and if the Gulf Stream is about to dissappear I am outta here 100% certain. Anyone see "The Day after Tomorrow"--OZ, SA, NZ and places south of the equator may be the only viable options.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4417

Ah well, corny, but...a development oppurtunity in a developing country is my dream...get to sample a new culture whilst giving something back to the people. Going to Africa would be amazing. South America would be a dream too.

Good on you Bob, it's not corny at all.....plus with a bit of greasing in the right palms you could end up becoming El Presidentie :D

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Nothing. I'm English and am not going to cut and run just because the country is (temporarily) run by a gang of shysters. Things are never bad for ever - the darkest hour is just before dawn and all that.

DON'T FOLLOW THE HERD!! It's herd instinct that caused the boom and now the bust!! Don't be one of the sheeple and their "Ooh go abroad it's ace over there - like Narnia but with barbeques"

STAY IN BLIGHTY and don't give in to the NuLaba bullies - we can beat them at the next election and start to return this country to it's former glory.

Honestly you lot - being British is like being married - you have to work at it - the blond Australian slapper down the pub won't be there when you're old you know!

HOLA4420

Err, sorry, being British is nothing like being married.

For a start, I wouldn't marry someone that insists on taking everything I earn and givng it away to any sad case that cares to ask. Neither would I shack up with some bint that loves getting into massive debt and tells me that everything's OK.

Finally, since when has Gordon Brown given head? Even if he does, I wouldn't trust him with my fella as he's more than likely to bite it off at some stage!

Its more like gordon brown ****** us in the ****

:o

HOLA4421

P.S I know there has been some discussion on here before about the pros and cons of living abroad but what I am trying to gauge is how many people on here are seriously so fed up with the UK they would now consider leaving.

I have lived in four different countries now, all but the decision to come back to the UK were because my parents moved around a lot and then I went to college.

I could have gone elsewhere than here I suppose, but at the moment if I want to remain in the job I am in I have to be in London or in New York and I do not want to live in the US. I like my job. I'm not fussed about weather or food or even living in London with all of its associated problems (cost/rudeness/etc) as I have always lived in cities, of which London is certainly not the worst.

Later in life if I have a few kids, decide to quit the job, I would possibly consider moving abroad. For me it's all about where I am in life and what fits for me. Socially, no country is perfect. Wherever I move to is going to have its share of problems. I'd just have to decide which set of problems I wanted to deal with.

But because I have moved around so much already- deciding to leave again would not be too big a decision.

HOLA4422

I think i can be convinced with say........ 50p!

If I got the opportunity to relocate to another country then I would be off as quick as a prozzies knickers!

It would have to be Earthquake and Tsunami free though. Could go to India coz theres loads of jobs there apparently ;)

Oh yes they were OUR jobs.

HOLA4423

I know your not really talking to me.

<heavy sigh>

This has been the subject of more than one conversation in our house. The short answer is not much. Economics are not on the issue,politics are. Both of us are very unhappy with the moron in the white house. And before 5 years ago niether one of us was a political person.

We have a list.

HOLA4424

What would make me go abroad?

A collapse in the economy bringing mass redundancy to the industry I work in (construction). Been there 15 years ago and worked bloody hard to get where I am now (yes CJ!).

It would have to be severe but next time I would up sticks and take my family and savings to start anew else where. Probably Oz.

Simply not prepared to go through that again.

HOLA4425