House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Saint Fiacre's Figs

I thought I knew it all, but I didn't know there was a patron saint for haemorroids....

'St Fiacre's relics are installed in Meaux Cathedral. The Roman Martyrology commemorates his feast on 30 August. Meaux continued to be a great centre of devotion to Fiacre, especially during the 17th and 18th centuries. Visitors to his shrine included Anne of Austria, Bousset, and Vincent de Paul.[6]St Fiacre had a reputation for healing haemorrhoids, which were called "Saint Fiacre's figs" in the Middle Ages. Cardinal Richelieu visited the saint's relics hoping for relief from this illness.[7]'

Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Fiacre

It reminds me of the Viz cartoon 'Nobby's Piles'. In one scene, Nobby dies from burst haemorrohoids, but St Peter won't let him into heaven because he never went to church. 'It wasn't my fault,' says Nobby. 'Those cold pews always brought them down!'

I thought a fiacre was a small four-wheeled carriage for public hire.

That's not a coincidence...

Saint Fiacre (Irish: Fiachra, Latin: Fiacrius) is the name of three different Irish saints, the best-known being Saint Fiacre of Breuil, (died 18 August 670), who built a hospice for travellers in what is now Saint-Fiacre, Seine-et-Marne in France.

From about 1650, the Hotel de Saint Fiacre, in the rue St-Martin in Paris, rented carriages. These carriages came to be known as fiacres, which became a generic term for rented horse-drawn transport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Fiacre

Also,

Although sometimes claimed by taxi-drivers as a patron saint, St. Fiacre is not recognised as such by the Church.

It's nice to see the Church can still get some things right.