House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frozen_out

What Is Reasonable Here?

Just had my bathroom done with underfloor heating fitted. It turns out that the builder, in his wisdom, has taken it upon himself to only put the heating where he thinks we would stand - basically up to the edge of the toilet and sink. This leaves about half a tile that I aictually stand on that is not heated.

Is it reasonable to expect him to take the floor up and lay it again so that the whole floor is covered by the heating?

I am the voice of reason, and I have an inside toilet!

Heated tiles in the nettie - Whatever will they think of next...?

XYY

Electric lights, so you can see your poo! :wacko:

Did you not have a chat about it before ?

If not - I think its reasonable to expect him to have done all the floor - clue in the name and all. If not - he should have made this clear before he started.

He clearly doesn't know a huge amount about the reasons for underfloor heating - its not just so your toes stay warm - its to offer another way to heat the entire room in question.

As heat rises - heating a room from the very bottom - makes logical sense.

To actually answer the question, unless there was a firm agreement one way or the other then I can't see how you expect him to do the work again. One the one hand he should have consulted with you about where it was you wanted it, but on the other you should have also been clear.

If there is some other reason, i.e. you expectation was all tiles would be done, and he has not done so to keep costs down then you may have a slight case.

To actually answer the question, unless there was a firm agreement one way or the other then I can't see how you expect him to do the work again. One the one hand he should have consulted with you about where it was you wanted it, but on the other you should have also been clear.

If there is some other reason, i.e. you expectation was all tiles would be done, and he has not done so to keep costs down then you may have a slight case.

+1. Sorry.

If not - I think its reasonable to expect him to have done all the floor - clue in the name and all. If not - he should have made this clear before he started.

He clearly doesn't know a huge amount about the reasons for underfloor heating - its not just so your toes stay warm - its to offer another way to heat the entire room in question.

This is exactly how I see it. Its a small room so we have done away with the radiator and the expectation would be that the whole floor is covered. What else would you expect?

I think he should at least have given the option or made it clear that he was only doing half the floor. IMO it's penny pinching.

This is exactly how I see it. Its a small room so we have done away with the radiator and the expectation would be that the whole floor is covered. What else would you expect?

I think he should at least have given the option or made it clear that he was only doing half the floor. IMO it's penny pinching.

I can see why are you annoyed, but I reckon he'll be royally f*cked off if you ask him to do it again (especially if the half a tile isn't that big an area either in absolute or relative terms). But whether you are willing to risk that depends on whether you plan to use him again, what exactly you agreed to etc.

Definitely worth discussing though, it could be a faulty area that can be fixed or there might be a good reason why he's left it. Or you might negotiate a bit of a discount.

All the underfloor heating I've looked at implies that the whole floor should be covered. The idea being you can walk round the room - or if you're old and infirm, lay there waiting for help without freezing to death.

What amount of cable has he specified and does that meet the right U value?
Suspect building regs are your friend (or foe) here
http://www.warmafloor.co.uk/documents/U-Values.pdf

Ugh, you poo in your house? How barbaric!

That is just so Northern of you, Centurion! :P

Just had my bathroom done with underfloor heating fitted. It turns out that the builder, in his wisdom, has taken it upon himself to only put the heating where he thinks we would stand - basically up to the edge of the toilet and sink. This leaves about half a tile that I aictually stand on that is not heated.

Is it reasonable to expect him to take the floor up and lay it again so that the whole floor is covered by the heating?

Perhaps there is a technical reason why the underfloor heating pipes cant run under or beside bog & sink, perhaps the plumbing is in the way.

Doesnt the heat go sideways through the floor?

Underfloor heating (UFH) works by turning the entire floor area of each room into a large, low surface temperature radiator. Once the floor’s temperature rises above that of the surrounding air, heat is emitted evenly from across its surface, leaving no cold spots and creating minimal draughts. - See more at: http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/key-choices/heating/ufh-explained#sthash.OPjWUWKU.dpuf

Is it electric under floor heating that is laid as a 'mat'?

I would of asked him to detail exactly where the heating would cover, but that's only because I don't trust anyone (especially builders) but you shouldn't have to, they should of explained how big the area was going to be as a proposal and made sure you were happy with it. Unfortunately a lot of them don't give a monkeys.

It's not right, so definitely raise it with him and come to some sort of agreement on rectifying it or a partial refund.

How big are the tiles?

My feet are almost exactly one tile long! :blink:

Its simple - you get a painter in to do your living room walls for £x = all the walls get painted.

You get a gardener in to do your back lawn = all the lawn gets cut.

Its black and white IMO. If there was an issue with where it could go based on cost or pipes or whatever - its the builders job to raise it - he is getting paid and is supposedly the expert after all.

Is it electric under floor heating that is laid as a 'mat'?

I would of asked him to detail exactly where the heating would cover, but that's only because I don't trust anyone (especially builders) but you shouldn't have to, they should of explained how big the area was going to be as a proposal and made sure you were happy with it. Unfortunately a lot of them don't give a monkeys.

It's not right, so definitely raise it with him and come to some sort of agreement on rectifying it or a partial refund.

This. I'm learning fast about how much hand holding and overseeing of the most minor project you have to do in order to ensure it gets done properly. Getting stuff done at home and, more recently, in my retail space, I've realised that you have to be absolutely specific about what you want and project manage each bit.

E.g my electrician measured out where the wall lights were going in my shop following my instructions about how I wanted them. When I checked he hadn't been able to calculated it properly and they weren't even. Luckily I spotted this before the cabling was put in and it was inserted correctly. Then had the walls plastered and wallpapered then he came back to fix the lights on to the walls and managed to still hang them off centre.

I think the builder may be right not to take the underfloor heating under a bog/ basin/ shower.

Don't know the floor construction but the pedestals need to be fixed down and there are hot/ cold incoming and wastes to accomodate.

If he had punctured one of the u/f heating pipes whilst putting the bog in you would be looking at an eventful new year.

See layout gathered at random from the interweb.

http://www.the50plus.co.uk/tech_support/Modern-Central-Heating/hepuf5.jpg