House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

erat_forte

Morrisons Price Watch

At Morrisons earlier, reading the receipt:

MORRISONS PRICE WATCH

We check our prices on groceries

against Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's,

Aldi and Lidl.

Your comparable grocery shop would have

been £0.20 cheaper elsewhere today.

IMG_20141223_190333.jpg

post-19622-0-66559100-1419361816_thumb.jpg

......have to take into account extra fuel costs to get there and parking if applicable......20p can't buy much with that nowadays.

...tomorrow just before closing around 6pm or 7pm the supermarkets should have some good price reductions, saw lots with a use by 24th. ;)

Who will be the first supermarket to cave in and give an instant discount?

If they really wanted to compete and match prices like they say they do they would do so instantly, not rely on points, gimmicks and vouchers. It only reenforces my opinion that the supermarkets are still content to play the public for fools by playing games with prices, offers and discounts.

They've been left wanting by competitors that offer a simple experience with clear prices and no gimmicks, It can't be that hard for this to sink in to the rest can it?

They do more or less offer an 'instant' discount.

They just require the customer to do something to get it. Half the country is lazy - and don't bother.

If you shoplifted, begged and rooted around in bins you could have saved £17.95.

:)

I was thinking along the lines of "if you had printed your own barcodes and used the self service checkout"

I can now walk to Aldi, although like everywhere else you have to pick your items with a slight bit of care. That said, the lack of loyalty card nonsense is one of the reasons they get repeat business from me.

Yeah, I'll admit I no longer go to Holland and Barrett because of their repeated attempts to force-feed you their loyalty card and crappy (paid for) magazine. I do not need a 30 second sales pitch every time. I actually have one of their beastly cards - but it seemed like so much work i.e. you had to print off special coupons I can't be a*sed to dig it out and hand it over for no reward.

Reduced stuff aside, I do most of my food shopping in Iceland and Lidl nowadays where there is little or none of this crap. Even Tesco's scheme is not that obnoxious as I use the self scanner to do my shopping, and the resulting vouchers tend to pop up online when I'm browsing their online bargains.

......have to take into account extra fuel costs to get there and parking if applicable......20p can't buy much with that nowadays.

Good point. I live very close to a Morrisons. I'm sure Aldi will always be cheaper but I'll have to use up fuel to get there...unless I'm already going that way.

Besides, Morrisons have been pretty competitive over the past few months. My 'single person' grocery shop now typically comes to under £20 a week where it was more like £28 earlier in the year.

Good point. I live very close to a Morrisons. I'm sure Aldi will always be cheaper but I'll have to use up fuel to get there...unless I'm already going that way.

Besides, Morrisons have been pretty competitive over the past few months. My 'single person' grocery shop now typically comes to under £20 a week where it was more like £28 earlier in the year.

My single malt grocery shop is almost exactly £28.

:)

I was thinking along the lines of "if you had printed your own barcodes and used the self service checkout"

It's funny that Tesco's leaflet about their new scan as you load service doesn't ask you not to print your own bar codes. They do reserve the right to rescan all your shopping if they want.

You're supposed to put items that don't scan to one side in the trolley and then tell the assistant when you go to pay.

It's funny that Tesco's leaflet about their new scan as you load service doesn't ask you not to print your own bar codes. They do reserve the right to rescan all your shopping if they want.

You're supposed to put items that don't scan to one side in the trolley and then tell the assistant when you go to pay.

Are you sure that you're not supposed to take them because they are free?

At Barclays Bank 2015, reading the receipt:

Barclays PRICE WATCH
We check our rates on deposits
against Lloyds, UBS, NatWest,
Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland.

Your comparable interest would have
been £0.20 cheaper if you had stuck it under the mattress rather than saving with us....or any other bank

Are you sure that you're not supposed to take them because they are free?

Well if there was a lot of things that didn't scan they'd easily get mixed up.

You know you'd have to look for all the creased wonky bar codes but that's not that hard to do.

It works from weight each bar code has a weight value against it where you put the items are scales

The tesco bar code scanner that you carry round doesn't. :)