House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Drinking Beer Out Of The Bottle?

I've never enjoyed doing this although I occasionally did it as a much younger man. I've always thought you can't taste the beer properly or smell it and you can't control how it enters your mouth so it just glugs into your mouth and fizzes in your throat. Anyway I noticed at a party this weekend I was the only person drinking beer from a glass. Every other middle aged men was glugging from a bottle. I felt somewhat conspicuous and quite the fuddy duddy. Does anyone else prefer beer from a glass?

Not if the glass is plastic

It's a long time since I've done that!! Probably disco nights at university. But I remember it not being very nice! I think we called them "skiffs".

Lager's fine out of a bottle in summer or abroad.

I wouldn't drink real ale out of a bottle; it has to be poured into a glass.

I still much prefer lager out of a glass. With ale it's a must.

I often tend to drink quite quickly which probably makes it harder for me out of a bottle.

I think we called them "skiffs".

Likewise. I just banged 'skiff' into Google and all that came up was pictures of boats. Possibly another term whose only meaning when communicating with the young is to convey how old you are.

I prefer it out of a chilled bottled or from the kind of glass, almost wine like, that they serve beer in in countries like Belgium, Holland, etc.

I find UK glass styles to distract from the experience.

There is something nice about chugging down a chilled beer from a bottle on a hot day when you are really thirsty.

Cans - yuck!

I remember seeing crates of beer being delivered to a Dutch bar years ago and then watching as a dog cocked its leg to wee on the crate.

I never drink beer from a bottle if I can avoid it.

dog piss would be an improvement on most bottled lager.

This style of glass should be outlawed IMPO.

New_CantonBeer461-528x578.jpg

Unfortunately, it appears those heavyweight tankards will eventually spread throughout the galaxy so you are going to have to ask specifically for a straight glass if you ever visit Quarks bar

This style of glass should be outlawed IMPO.

New_CantonBeer461-528x578.jpg

That's a proper beer glass!

Preferable.

beer-glass-range.jpg

Definitely my style too.

To be honest, I do occasionally drink from the bottle if I am one of those corporate events where they are just serving Peroni or Becks, but on the whole I prefer real ale and would never ever ever drink that out of a bottle - though I do enjoy bottle conditioned beers.

Currently I have about 100 bottles (was 113) in the garage, a mix of Belgian, US Craft Beers, some from the local Brewery and also some from the Durham Brewery.

BTW if if you like strong beer do check out the Durham Brewery. Their White Stout (7.2%) is amazing and I also have some of their Imperial Russian Stout which is 10%. You'll only need to drink half to one bottle of the Imperial Russian to feel satiated and chilled (it the ultimate Winter Warmer), the White Stout is a bit more dangerous, as it really slakes your thirst and you will want the second and third and so on - but three bottle is like 6 normal pints.

LInk to the site here: http://www.durhambrewery.co.uk

I think the problem with most UK drink places - be it a pub or a restaurant or whatever - is that they tend to serve all beers and lagers in the same glasses... usually because of cheapness and/or some health & safety nonsense.

Friends of mine were in The Hague last year, ordered a particular beer from a bar that had about 100 beers... and the barman refused to serve them that particular beer because all the glasses for that beer were already being used. I like his style.

Different beers should have different glasses.