Xmas Tv

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Christmas tv used to be an event.

With only 3 or four channels everyone would study the tv guide intensely. There would normally be a big fight in my family over what is watched on Christmas day as there was no video recorder. Everyone would sit down to watch the big Xmas day movie.

Now basically no one gives a stuff.

We were a poor family, so we did not have a video recorder either.

My Dad made us take copious notes and make sketches of the programmes he was too drunk to watch live.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Got a free 30 day trial of Sky movies on the Now TV box timed for the Xmas season and the rellies arriving. I daresay it'll be near wall to wall Disney movies, and if my missus has her way there'll be an eclectic selection of movies featuring either extreme violence being perpetrated on Nazis or made for TV sappy Christmas crap featuring people you've never seen before.

I'll probably hide and watch Doctor Who on iPlayer.

HOLA4410

We were a poor family, so we did not have a video recorder either.

My Dad made us take copious notes and make sketches of the programmes he was too drunk to watch live.

You get scarily close to reality sometimes! :blink:

HOLA4411

If you haven't seen the Star Wars Holiday Special, then you can't get any worse than this. Includes the real Star Wars Cast

This is only the highlights - look out for Leia singing at the end.

David Hofstede, author of What Were They Thinking?: The 100 Dumbest Events in Television History, ranked the holiday special at number one, calling it "the worst two hours of television ever."

HOLA4412

Christmas tv used to be an event.

With only 3 or four channels everyone would study the tv guide intensely. There would normally be a big fight in my family over what is watched on Christmas day as there was no video recorder. Everyone would sit down to watch the big Xmas day movie.

Now basically no one gives a stuff.

Was just about to post similar or words to your effect as I did on a similar thread to this on here a couple of years ago. This thread should return to 1986 where it belongs.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

TV shows that are repeated during the Xmas period are annoying. For example, James May's Toy Stories was on last night and is repeated on Saturday and Alan Carr was on C4 last night (for two hours!) and is repeated tonight (admittedly at 11pm). This year's TV effort has been very poor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2859956/Here-Christmas-TV-repeats-Two-thirds-programmes-major-channels-festive-period-runs.html

63 per cent of programmes on major channels will be repeats

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Family viewing in our house this year was 'The Lady Vanishes' (1938). Last year it was the 1973 Tommy Cooper Xmas special.

The problem with modern telly is the way the BBC (and other channels) has to shoehorn modern political correctness into everything.

Eg, I watched ten minutes of Professor Branestawm and in that time they had: a black policeman in 1930s England, a black council official and a feminist schoolgirl ranting about sexual inequality!

HOLA4420

TV shows that are repeated during the Xmas period are annoying. For example, James May's Toy Stories was on last night and is repeated on Saturday and Alan Carr was on C4 last night (for two hours!) and is repeated tonight (admittedly at 11pm). This year's TV effort has been very poor.

I think worse than that is when they repeat last years Christmas specials.

HOLA4421

Ah, come on - I'm sure that the Doctor Who "Christmas Special" will be absolutely unforgettable.

On repeats, I would actually be very pleased if they showed some of the old Doctor Whos from the sixties and seventies..But then I would guess that would kill the BBCs cash cow, their DVDs. After all its not about what the viewers want but raising sufficient money to pay their staff.

Panic Saturday 1970s style.........

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It's funny how we still really want there to be good stuff on telly, despite all the varied alternative media sources. I think it's not just the "shared experience" they always go on about, but the paradox of choice. I actually prefer watching a movie broadcast on TV, even when I have a copy of it myself already, and even when it's something obscure that i'm not going to discuss with other film viewers.

Saw a bit of Madagascar and Ice Age 4 here. Too crap too sit through.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived