House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Christianity Makes You Fat

A leading article in the Times today, but have had to link an old article as the Times blocks. Well as an agnostic and built like an Eritrean I would tend to agree.

Surely against God's teaching, but actually the church goers I know tend be the world's biggest consumers not just food but consumerism itself. Indeed, once I went to the Christmas service at out local village and the service seemed to be about the delights of shopping at John Lewis.

Tbf it was a much more appropriate service this year about helping the poor and we even got a reading from the government minister, Anna Soubrey (who isn't fat btw but is probably an occasional attendee dragged into it like me) who happens to be moving into the village.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/03/24/why-going-to-church-can-make-you-fat/

Middle class people do religion largely because it makes them think they're better than everyone else. Same motivations behind label consumerism.

I'm not surpised.

Middle class people do religion largely because it makes them think they're better than everyone else. Same motivations behind label consumerism.

I'm not surpised.

There is probably a psychologically reason for it. I'm guessing it attracts gregarious types whose hobbies are eating and shopping...and not tight wads built like Eritreans (crashmonitor).

The Church is just a big shop! Fill your boots! -_-

I'm not surpised.

I always assumed it was because they wanted divine intervention to protect their wealth, or alternatively to justify it.

What are eritreans built like?!

Most africans (in africa) I see...the men look in the brink of starvation, the women resemble hippos.

You have confused it with a place between Stoke ,and Congleton

What are eritreans built like?!

Most africans (in africa) I see...the men look in the brink of starvation, the women resemble hippos.

Hmmm.

How many Africans do you see? I mean its a rather big place.

In sub-saharan Africa, being fat is traditionally a sign of wealth, so most poor Africans will be thin, regardless of gender, while rich Africans will emphasise their obesity in the same way as rich European might emphasize sun tans, white teeth and 'healthy' BMI's.

The men would often grow their 'pinky' finger nail very long to give a visual indication that they do no manual work, and having rough hands is a cause for ridicule.

Hmmm.

How many Africans do you see? I mean its a rather big place.

In sub-saharan Africa, being fat is traditionally a sign of wealth, so most poor Africans will be thin, regardless of gender, while rich Africans will emphasise their obesity in the same way as rich European might emphasize sun tans, white teeth and 'healthy' BMI's.

The men would often grow their 'pinky' finger nail very long to give a visual indication that they do no manual work, and having rough hands is a cause for ridicule.

It was once the poor who had the suntans.....poor people that worked in the fields, not the rich that worked in offices/indoors....anyway too much sun is very ageing. Noticed the southern Europeans are getting fatter, eating more processed and fast foods that is now advertised on the box and all over the place instead of their healthy Mediterranean diets the best kind of diet to have imo. ;)

I always assumed it was because they wanted divine intervention to protect their wealth, or alternatively to justify it.

Good point

It was once the poor who had the suntans.....poor people that worked in the fields, not the rich that worked in offices/indoors....anyway too much sun is very ageing. Noticed the southern Europeans are getting fatter, eating more processed and fast foods that is now advertised on the box and all over the place instead of their healthy Mediterranean diets the best kind of diet to have imo. ;)

Very true. My exposed bits (face, forearms, forelegs) have aged noticeably faster than my personal bits, which are still pink and plump!

Very true. My exposed bits (face, forearms, forelegs) have aged noticeably faster than my personal bits, which are still pink and plump!

Glad to hear it.....next time don't forget to wear your hat. ;)

And trousers!

I'm a churchgoer (not sure if I could call myself a Christian really) and I've got the physique of an undernourished whippet.

I think fatness is just a general trend in the west. The church tends to attract people who are perhaps less concerned about physical appearance so feel justified in letting themselves go to pot perhaps more than others. Vanity, after all, is one of the seven deadlies, but so are sloth and gluttony and some church ladies I know are obviously practicing those latter two!

The church tends to attract people who are perhaps less concerned about physical appearance so feel justified in letting themselves go to pot perhaps more than others. Vanity, after all, is one of the seven deadlies, but so are sloth and gluttony and some church ladies I know are obviously practicing those latter two!

Must why you never see anybody dressing up smartly to go to church.

I'm not surpised.

Yes, and upper class people live on hills so they can more easily look down on people. Working class people have flat caps and whippets.