House Price Crash Forum

What's The Attitude Of The Baby Boomers You Work With Or For?

Si1

HOLA441

My Mother... Born in 1948 to a working class family, went on to have all the usual boomer privileges, got paid to go to Teacher Training College with maintenance grants and signing on in the summer hols!, Then spent 3 years travelling around Europe before meeting my father (also very much working class), became a housewife and stay at home parent so has NEVER had a permanent or fulltime job in her entire life, just a few very brief stints as a supply teacher.

Divorced my father around 15 years ago and now finds herself in the position of owning outright a home worth £150k, motorhome worth £14k (hardly ever used), savings of £20k+ and in receipt of full state pension plus a share of one of my fathers pensions giving a total income of around £200 per week. She's obsessed with buying clothes (her 2 spare bedrooms are both just basically walk in wardrobes rammed with clothes!) and last year she had 10 seperate holidays/mini breaks.

And yet she still pleads poverty (has even looked into equity release but dismissed it as they offered her a ''pittance'') never spends more than £10 on presents for anyone and as others have said has foot stamping tantrums every time any little thing doesn't go quite right. Recently she was most indignant when she found out that teenagers were entitled to a discount on membership at the private gym she attends!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

My Mother... Born in 1948 to a working class family, went on to have all the usual boomer privileges, got paid to go to Teacher Training College with maintenance grants and signing on in the summer hols!, Then spent 3 years travelling around Europe before meeting my father (also very much working class), became a housewife and stay at home parent so has NEVER had a permanent or fulltime job in her entire life, just a few very brief stints as a supply teacher.

Divorced my father around 15 years ago and now finds herself in the position of owning outright a home worth £150k, motorhome worth £14k (hardly ever used), savings of £20k+ and in receipt of full state pension plus a share of one of my fathers pensions giving a total income of around £200 per week. She's obsessed with buying clothes (her 2 spare bedrooms are both just basically walk in wardrobes rammed with clothes!) and last year she had 10 seperate holidays/mini breaks.

And yet she still pleads poverty (has even looked into equity release but dismissed it as they offered her a ''pittance'') never spends more than £10 on presents for anyone and as others have said has foot stamping tantrums every time any little thing doesn't go quite right. Recently she was most indignant when she found out that teenagers were entitled to a discount on membership at the private gym she attends!

I'm thinking this needs a thread of its own...

HOLA443
HOLA444
  • 1 month later...
HOLA445

Yes, the number of people living with their parents into their 30s is really sad.

That'll be me ;)

I refuse point black to pay 10 times my salary for what my folks got for 3-4. Must admit though, I'd love to slap a few people that spout the lines... "young have never had it so easy". Yep, whilst i have to pay x10, you paid x3-4. Easy huh?

Same here. To me the UK property market is almost completely irrelevant, I'd buy a house with cash in a decent country overseas, even more so attractive to me if the market is controlled i.e. house prices and rent aren't allowed to exceed a certain amount, meaning people would have to become wealthy from working, being a business, self-employed etc. which would suit me well.

HOLA446
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA447

Boomer in the barbers the other day, banging on about how much he sold his house for and how much money he made to the hairdresser. The hairdresser stuck in a grotty house share and unable to have children. Then after his hair cut he insists he gets pensioner discounts.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA448

Boomer in the barbers the other day, banging on about how much he sold his house for and how much money he made to the hairdresser. The hairdresser stuck in a grotty house share and unable to have children. Then after his hair cut he insists he gets pensioner discounts.

I think there is more "modesty" in declaring such a thing, than from hard work and talent, because if you have neither you are punching within your own weight.

It's a bit like having a mental disability and saying how well you did.

I think may be less socially acceptable to gloat about success from hard work and talent, because then you are making more personal implications in comparison between your self and the listener(s). If the Boomer wants to gloat about it because they think that's what it is then they are a shadow of an actual inappropriate "big-head" and should be pitied for being pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410

This might be a good conversation starter with a Baby Boomer HPI fan:

“In online business there’s are people known as “Domain squatters” who are much maligned. They find a domain / domain names they think will be useful to others, then buy them, not to use, but for the intention of selling them for a profit when someone else wants to use it. The contention comes from the Domain squatter’s role within the economy being nothing other than parasitic.”.

If they understand then it’s likely that they will agree with you, if they don't then their views are alone with respects to almost all eCommerce. The following part is optional…

“Yet, of course in the housing world it’s completely the reverse as this person is called a property investor, while someone who lacks normal access to housing can be a squatter.”

If they are property developers they may defend themselves with how they do up the kitchen and put new curtains into a house that someone that actually wanted to live there could have bought cheaper and bought their own kitchen and curtains.

If they grew up in council housing in the 40's / 50's / 60's then I can't blame you for just not wanting to talk to them at all and just wait for them to die of old age.

HOLA4411

If they grew up in council housing in the 40's / 50's / 60's then I can't blame you for just not wanting to talk to them at all and just wait for them to die of old age.

Normally when a Boomer starts unilaterally giving me the gift of their property wisdom I just smile and nod and tell myself they'll be dead long before me.

HOLA4412

Normally when a Boomer starts unilaterally giving me the gift of their property wisdom I just smile and nod and tell myself they'll be dead long before me.

They may live longer due to retiring earlier and experiencing better state healthcare, sadly

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They may live longer due to retiring earlier and experiencing better state healthcare, sadly

We'll see. An oversized generation all becoming elderly at the same time and relying on an NHS funded by taxing a small generation of workers whose real wages are low and falling further. Doesn't sound like a recipe for 5 star healthcare to me.

HOLA4416

We'll see. An oversized generation all becoming elderly at the same time and relying on an NHS funded by taxing a small generation of workers whose real wages are low and falling further. Doesn't sound like a recipe for 5 star healthcare to me.

Immigration huh? Who'd want such a thing...

HOLA4417

At choir practice today I got talking to a couple of the local Boomer retirees, they were moaning about how the government is planning to redevelop a disused barracks and put 5,000 houses on the site. This is a brownfield site inside the M25.

They were spouting the usual stuff about there not being enough public transport, no shops, no secondary school, where would the water come from, how could the sewage cope etc. Pathetic really, obviously these are soluble problems.

Then one of them said he didn't want any flats built in the area either because they attract a different kind of person to the area. I don't know whether he meant younger people with jobs or foreigners but either way it was pretty repulsive.

HOLA4418

At choir practice today I got talking to a couple of the local Boomer retirees, they were moaning about how the government is planning to redevelop a disused barracks and put 5,000 houses on the site. This is a brownfield site inside the M25.

They were spouting the usual stuff about there not being enough public transport, no shops, no secondary school, where would the water come from, how could the sewage cope etc. Pathetic really, obviously these are soluble problems.

Then one of them said he didn't want any flats built in the area either because they attract a different kind of person to the area. I don't know whether he meant younger people with jobs or foreigners but either way it was pretty repulsive.

NIMBYism should be classed as a hate crime

HOLA4419

Without a house most Boomers can't afford to buy a house. If you were to ask them seriously what they mean they would make conjectures because what they really mean is people who aren't them.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

One baby boomer colleague said a few months ago: "My house has gained £20,000 in just two years".

£20k, in 2 years, bah, houses gain that in a day in London! :P

Spoke with a colleague of mine today, he's a Boomer and doesn't think that house price will come down (government won't allow it, etc) but can see that is it likely to unsustainable longer term and is sympathetic to our plight. Anyway told me that his son (same age as me) is buying a bigger house as an 'investment'. Seemed worried that his boy may be overextending himself.

HOLA4422

Are these people who are anti any immigration full stop? If so then their views are consistent. If they want large scale immigration and no local houses then they are scum.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Apparently the golden rule is to take out the biggest mortgage you can get...

As heard this morning.

:lol:

The boomers are the biggest HPI pushers of the lot. People sat on trillions of pounds of equity, BTLs and second homes, want more HPI, and Collective Responsibility at all stages. How could anyone know £500K not very good value for a flat/small house?

HOLA4425

Apparently the golden rule is to take out the biggest mortgage you can get...

As heard this morning.

Exactly what my uncle (who is a knob) told me in 2005 ... roughly speaking I would have bought an overpriced one bed flat, and currently still be living in it with wife and 2 kids!!!