House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

'flu Tips

..and before Mr Pin asks, I'm not on about flutes or chimney flues...I mean the pain in the rectum cold, sneezy things that makes you all floppy..any one know any good cures?...i've had one for a week and its bloody annoying...I've had so many Strepsils, I'd rattle, I'd even jump out of a window if it meant a vague cure...

Had something similar at the start of the month. Only thing you can really do is a day or two of not doing much of anything, lie in bed watch TV. Fluids. That's it.

Good old whisky toddy: half pint glass, generous tot of whisky, spoonful of honey, cloves a slice of lemon, all topped up with hot water. Drink, go to bed, wake up cured!

Everyone around me seems to have it, and all of them seem to be doing their best to donate it to me in time for Christmas. Bastards.

But here's my preventative and curative recipe - green tea, teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey, with the juice of half a lemon. If you're drinking it in the evening, best substitute the green tea for something less likely to keep you awake, and chuck a good slug of scotch in it for good measure. Or alternatively just do the scotch version all day long and claim you were hallucinating about the time.

..and before Mr Pin asks, I'm not on about flutes or chimney flues...I mean the pain in the rectum cold, sneezy things that makes you all floppy..any one know any good cures?...i've had one for a week and its bloody annoying...I've had so many Strepsils, I'd rattle, I'd even jump out of a window if it meant a vague cure...

Firstly, don't drink as much, then you won't get a hangover.

But if you do, hare of the dog. 3 cans of special brew, chilled to ice cold and drunk one after another straight down within 10 minutes.

I had it a few weeks ago. If it's the same thing, prepare for a week and half of not feeling great - and even now three weeks later I'm not quite hundred per cent.

Honey, lemon and ginger drinks at least made me feel a little better. I'm not sure they are of much practical benefit though.

Paracetamol will take the edge of the pain. But be careful about mixing with any flu powders you might be taking as they tend to contain paracetamol too.

Otherwise plenty of fluids, rest and sleep. It will go away eventually. But try and keep vaguely mobile i.e. a short walk (but make sure you are well wrapped up). A hot shower first thing every morning will make you feel a little more human too.

The Vicks rubbed on the feet trick worked well for the cough as did trying to slow your breathing.

does the flu jab work? This is the 2nd year in a row this has happened, by about a weeks difference, but this one's twice as worse...I want to avoid it next year, and a local doctors charges seven quid for one...

does the flu jab work? This is the 2nd year in a row this has happened, by about a weeks difference, but this one's twice as worse...I want to avoid it next year, and a local doctors charges seven quid for one...

Develop a life threatening illness and you will get it for free.

Read the vitamin d thread about mega doses of D for flu - or go read the vitamindcouncil's thoughts on it.

Well said, I haven't even had a single cold (never mind the flu) since I started taking 5000 IU a day of D3 every winter (October to April) thanks to the vitamin d thread here on HPC.

But it seems some people are just too set in their ways and would rather suffer than learn from their peers... :rolleyes:

does the flu jab work?

No it doesn't:

http://www.naturalnews.com/048063_flu_vaccines_junk_science_zealotry.html

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports widespread flu activity in 29 states," reports CBS News. [2] "Health experts say part of the problem is that this year's vaccine doesn't provide protection for H3N2, the strain of the influenza that's currently making the rounds."

I've started taking (Well, finishing off after washing with hot) cold showers as that helps the immune system. A few people around me have had rotten cold and I've been fine. I take an occasional 10000IU Vit D3 capsule.

Well said, I haven't even had a single cold (never mind the flu) since I started taking 5000 IU a day of D3 every winter (October to April) thanks to the vitamin d thread here on HPC.

But it seems some people are just too set in their ways and would rather suffer than learn from their peers... :rolleyes:

I take 5000 iu of D3 daily during the winter, and I still got the aforementioned cold. Last winter, I had flu.

Helped enormously with knee pains during the winter though (although the milder winters we've had the last couple of years might also have contributed).

I guess it's possible that Vitamin D3 isn't a prevent/cure all?

I guess it's possible that Vitamin D3 isn't a prevent/cure all?

It certainly isn't and I don't think anybody ever claimed that. but WITHOUT sufficient levels of Vitamin D3 your immune system would certainly be weaker than what it is.

If you're still getting colds despite enough D3 then you have other causes that affect your immune system, only you can figure out what that could be.

Reading from the unhelpful comments - I think some of the respondents have been taking your description too literally.

Perhaps they are getting their mucous membranes confused - watch out next time they try to offer you a tissue that may have been used.

Reading from the unhelpful comments - I think some of the respondents have been taking your description too literally.

Perhaps they are getting their mucous membranes confused - watch out next time they try to offer you a tissue that may have been used.

My folk remedy is as good as anyone else's.

Or maybe mainstream medicine has missed all these 'cures' for influenza.

It certainly isn't and I don't think anybody ever claimed that. but WITHOUT sufficient levels of Vitamin D3 your immune system would certainly be weaker than what it is.

If you're still getting colds despite enough D3 then you have other causes that affect your immune system, only you can figure out what that could be.

Or it could be that sometimes people catch contagious diseases regardless of how healthy they, and their immune systems, are?

Dr. John Carnell of the vitamindcouncil writes about stosstherapy for flu using a single massive dose of D3.

IIRC he advocates taking 1,000 units per pound of bodyweight in one go for, again, IIRC correctly 3 days at the outset of flu. You would need to read his articles online to be certain of the dose.

I tried it a few years ago when I felt I was coming down with flu but I chickened out and only took 1,000 units per kilo so I took about 70,000 units in one dose for 2 days and, oddly enough, I felt that it worked. Make of that what you will.

DYOR.

Dr. John Carnell of the vitamindcouncil writes about stosstherapy for flu using a single massive dose of D3.

IIRC he advocates taking 1,000 units per pound of bodyweight in one go for, again, IIRC correctly 3 days at the outset of flu. You would need to read his articles online to be certain of the dose.

I tried it a few years ago when I felt I was coming down with flu but I chickened out and only took 1,000 units per kilo so I took about 70,000 units in one dose for 2 days and, oddly enough, I felt that it worked. Make of that what you will.

DYOR.

Can you overdose on D3?

I don't think I've ever had flu. Every few years I get an illness that gives me a temperature and makes my glands swell up, but it's never lasted more than 4-5 days.

Flu capsules (any) work well at boosting you in the week or so afterwards so you can get back to doing things. In the three - four days you have the full-blown flu they do reduce the symptoms somewhat but really all you can do is sit or lie still and sip fluids.

I wasn't aware that it was going around yet; I work in a big office and haven't heard of it hitting anybody yet.

I usually get a flu jab each year (well, when I can get one free from work) as whilst I knwo you can still get another strain of flu it does make it less likely that you're going to get it.