House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jammin35

When Ripping Tenants Off Isn't Enough

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/11682140.Woman_jailed_after___375_000_Dorset_Lettings_fraud/

A MANAGER who fraudulently stole £375,000 from a letting business to fund a lavish lifestyle has been jailed for 32 months.

Janine Pickett, of Gillingham, was given the sentence at Dorchester Crown Court earlier today for fraud by abuse of position.

The 47-year-old had earlier pleaded guilty to the offence on 30 May 2014 at the same court.

The court heard that Pickett plundered the money from the Shaftesbury office of Dorset Lettings which she ran under franchise.

Between January 2010 and November 2013 she stole £375,000 of customer deposits and rental payments from bank accounts she managed.

Prosecuting, Miss Carolyn Branford-Wood told the court Pickett used the money to buy and look after numerous Welsh ponies, one of which cost £7,000, went on lavish holidays to Dubai and Florida and purchased a BMW car.

But, Cameron voted against regulating letting agents so this must be good news.

While I wouldn't disagree with your point, regulation would do nothing to stop this (already-illegal) fraud.

While I wouldn't disagree with your point, regulation would do nothing to stop this (already-illegal) fraud.

I think there is a correlation though, the fact that private letting is so lightly regulated means it attracts these fly-by-night characters.

Of course it would..Assault is a serious offence and we have wiped it from the face of our High Streets</PCOFF>