• 3 Winchester, Hampshire
  • 4 Rutland, East Midlands
  • 5 Chiltern, Buckinghamshire
  • 6 Uttlesford, Essex
  • 7 South Northamptonshire
  • 8 Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire
  • 9 Wokingham, Berkshire
  • 10 Waverley, Surrey

Hart, which is centred on the town of Fleet, boasts vast open spaces of heathland and woodland, as well as the county's largest freshwater lake.

More than 97% of residents report being in good health, and the average weekly wage is £839 - one third more than the UK average of £629.

Employment rate is also high, with four out of five 16 to 64 year olds in work.

So does that mean 20% unemployment?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Hart is a motorway service type of dull place.

Wokingham is nice but dull. Its only appealing as the towns to the East (Bracknell) and West (Reading) are not.

Bracknell makes the list, which is all you need to know about the skewed weighting.

The best that can be said about the list is that most of the towns are dull and inoffensive.

Totally fcking pointless list really.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

If the wages were adjusted for cost of living (housing) and the need for everybody to work all hours to pay for housing was seen as a negative rather than a positive this survey might have produced a different answer.

Quite. It also begs the question how many of those who live in these areas within the South East work in London. I know for a fact that many local wages in Waverley District in Surrey are no where near the levels quoted while housing and other costs are very high. In addition Waverley is quite rural by Surrey standards so public transport, public services, shops and even taxi services are often poor compared to more urban areas. Having a few trees or lakes to look at does not really compensate for some of the drawbacks. The article should really state that these are the best areas in which to live if you have plenty of money. They may not be so great for those with more humble means.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4410

I currently live in the Fleet area. Lots of trees, plenty of large detached houses (many seemed to be owned by the elderly), decent schools with involved parents, generally a nice area all round. However, lots of building projects on the go (started a couple of years ago), now adding to the traffic problems & local schools becoming over subscribed. Eye watering house prices (seems to be a personal opinion) & Fleet high street is dominated by estate agents, banks, charity shops, coffee establishments & hair dressers. It also suffers from empty shop spaces, especially the indoor shopping area.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

For a city in the SE, I'd vote for Portsmouth.

It may be a dirty port town with low wages but I lived there once and it was great. Being packed onto an island, everything's on your doorstep - and it has a lot of life. If you want "out" then there's trains to London, ferries to Abroad - and the Isle of Wight. Or, just ride your bike to pretty glorious countryside not far away. Also, plenty of jobs if your an engineery-type.

I've also lived in Cambridge which is officially Desirable with a capital D. But so far up its own ****, it should be given an award.

For a rurality in the SE, I'd go for Northamptonshire or Norfolk. But, TBH, most SE countryside is full of commuters and dormitary villages.

HOLA4418

Employment rate is also high, with four out of five 16 to 64 year olds in work.

So does that mean 20% unemployment?

Most of those non-working 16-64 year olds will be students/sixth-formers, housewives/husbands, and early retirees. There's a difference between 'unemployed' and 'not in work'.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I know West Bridgford (Rushcliffe) pretty well, doesn't look that affluent...plenty of brick streets that resemble Coronation Street. In the centre the coffee shops outnumber all the other shops put together and everybody looks pretty well heeled.

But other than the fact it is where the in crowd choose to live there are nicer parts of Nottingham.

The town itself is ringed by the outer ring road, so zero access to the countryside. Cross the Trent bridge and you are hit by the Meadows and Sneinton...two of the poorest parts of Europe. Geographically a very depressing place to live imo.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I used to live in Sandhurst and commute to Wokingham, it has the WORST schoolrun jams I've ever known, and very aggressive traffic wardens. When I worked in Bracknell (ICL) it was quicker to cycle than drive to work because the 'fast road' through the woods behind Crowthorne was a line of near-stationary cars every morning.

I personally would not live anywhere that has chronic congestion. You know things are bad when there are traffic lights on motorway sliproads :)

The traffic in the Thames Valley was pretty crap when I left in the late 90s.

Its got noticably worse since. Tnere does not seem to be much more employment in he area, in fact there appears to be a lot less - of the few remaining companies in Bracknell, none appear to have grown.

It used to take about 30 minutes Reading Bracknell.

That commute is now well over 1 hour, which is stupid for a journey of less than 20 miles.

HOLA4425