House Price Crash Forum

Inconsequential Things That Annoy Me Intensely

HOLA441
21 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

The automation of Christmas (amazon gift lists, pnp trees, laser house lights, delivered ready-meal crimbo lunches, hampers etc), to free up time, for what? More time with the rellies! Oh joy.

Like most things people go on about these days that are so much more "convenient" to "free up" time the time "freed" is generally insignificant and reflects more on the people embracing it, who are clearly trying to jam far too much into their lives. This is generally true for anyone who says anything needs to get quicker.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
21 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

That people believe alexa etc can be adjusted to only listen out for the word "alexa". Like, htf would you even go about programming that? (probably mentioned that one b4).

Clearly it has to be listening all the time but it could be programmed to only recognise that word and no other. Somewhere in it there'll have to be a database of words it recognises, and anything it doesn't recognise is meaningless to it. So if the database it uses just contains that one word (and then switches to the rest after it's detected that one) then that's pretty much what it's doing. We can't help understanding what we overhear but it's simple enough to program a machine that can't.

Of course whether it actually does that... Another piece of pointless technology IMO, even without the potential downsides of it recording far more than you think. Damned if I know why people want this crap.

HOLA443
HOLA444
On 01/12/2019 at 13:19, Sledgehead said:

OTSO batteries, people who insist on trying to start the car just one more time (4th), when the voltmeter I took some trouble to install clearly showed , from the outset, excuse the pun, the operation was a non-starter.

This is on top of explaining for the umpteenth time, that deep discharging of a Pb-acid car battery, guarantees the necessity of more frequent charging, not to mention, premature battery death.

That settled my feverish mind. Thank you. People are eejits.

HOLA445
HOLA446
On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:28, Sledgehead said:

That people believe alexa etc can be adjusted to only listen out for the word "alexa". Like, htf would you even go about programming that? (probably mentioned that one b4).

Then they invite you round their gaff and ask you to make meaningful converation, cos let's face it, they basically let their mobos spy on them 24/7 in any case.

Am thinking of knocking up some "Yes", "No" and "Maybe" paddles for this inevitable situ this crimbo. Should make for lively lunchtime "chat".

On visiting some friends who have the dreaded Alexa, it's quite disturbing that mid conversation they asked 'Alexa, when did  (insert XXX celebrity name) die?' and with barely a millisecond pause the machine said ' XXX died on the 13th of December 2016 '  they then tested it with several other RIP celebs and it rattled off the details at speed. Just weird.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

KeepCups

So that would be a cup you keep?

In other words, ....

... , a cup.

OK, a KeepCup has a lid, that you can drink through. This is not a new idea.

Which brings me to my second annoyance: "Vintage".

The below two items are supposedly "vintage", presumably by virtue of the fact that, in themselves, they were never given a name hip enough to allow them to be considered as just a regular alternative to single use plastic / paper cups:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/28/06/d9/2806d95b11f47d3e4aefcd9c353a5ff0--shake-cup-shaker.jpg

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/143462608535_/Vintage-Retro-Tupperware-Container-60s-70s.jpg

Note that neither KeepCups, nor the "Vintage" samples above are free from plastic.

If the idea of KC is to virtue signal (and of course it is), why not go full hipster:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/54f7c017e4b0ceb22a706c44/1439432480099-A6RPSJG5MD6DCXDLSR77/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kBK7MsDKozlHiCDZoN-ZbQtZw-zPPgdn4jUwVcJE1ZvWEtT5uBSRWt4vQZAgTJucoTqqXjS3CfNDSuuf31e0tVGGArKj_pDiTkUDTltrT2b3NfIWpNQMH55pA2ESH5CQmAd8C-I-qmL6lEXzw_NRgss/mason+jars.jpg

Just buy jam - sorry - Mason jars with lids. Come to think of it, isn't that how they are usually sold. Plus you get some jam for free.

• 1 month later...
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
6 hours ago, Odakyu-sen said:

I would go insane in a house with bright interior wall colors. I prefer off-white walls and a very pale-olive-green carpet / wood flooring. There is too much visual stimulation outdoors as it is, so I need a home interior that will calm me down.

I assume that's because you're not from a generation that's constantly over-stimulated and incapable of calming down, slowing down, and relaxing to the point where they'll be burned out mentally by the time they're 40.

HOLA4412

Archived