House Price Crash Forum

Inconsequential Things That Annoy Me Intensely

11 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Seriously no you have no idea. You would thank me if you got an auto.

https://recombu.com/cars/article/clarkson-why-would-anyone-buy-a-car-with-a-manual-gearbox

That appears to be making the assumption that I'd prefer a autmatic because automatics were bad and this is no longer the case. The issue is that it hasn't established a problem I've got that needs to be solved by an automatic.Whilst there may be no problems with automatics I also see no point in changing either. Operation of a manual gearbox is pretty much subconcious. What would I be thanking you for? Changing gear simply isn't something that causes me any bother or hassle at all.

And I dislike automating things that I already have no problem with, but aside from that whether it's automatic or manual just doesn't enter into whether I'd pick one car or another.

Edited by Riedquat

23 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

That appears to be making the assumption that I'd prefer a autmatic because automatics were bad and this is no longer the case. The issue is that it hasn't established a problem I've got that needs to be solved by an automatic.Whilst there may be no problems with automatics I also see no point in changing either. Operation of a manual gearbox is pretty much subconcious. What would I be thanking you for? Changing gear simply isn't something that causes me any bother or hassle at all.

And I dislike automating things that I already have no problem with, but aside from that whether it's automatic or manual just doesn't enter into whether I'd pick one car or another.

Ok worries :)

Surely, automatics are more fuel efficient and less polluting, so maybe this is 'consequential'?

Still, we've prolly done it to death, but I will say that the first time I drove an automatic was on arrival in a foreign country (hire). Didn't phase for more than a second and that's with driving on the wrong side plus freeway ramp systems. Got so bored I engaged cruise control and let the scenery fly by.

Clarkson gives thumbs up as does my petrol head bro, tho tiptronic prolly swung it for both.

People who think that 'spinning' needs to be "taught".

We all know that "riding a bike" is so easy it has leant itself to an idiom frequently used to describe facile tasks. Moreover, of the 'skills set' required to perform riding, only balance needs a little practice.

Spinning, however, doesn't require balance. Indeed, spinning doesn't even require road-sense, steering or braking - arguably the lesser skills of riding. Basically spinning requires the ability to walk while sitting. And yet people still claim to "teach spin", and try and enroll you in their "classes". Please: you are not teachers but motivators, and as such, I have no need for you.

It's just a shed load less multitasking and particularly handy in urban traffic, gives your left leg a nice rest.

22 hours ago, Si1 said:

It's just a shed load less multitasking and particularly handy in urban traffic, gives your left leg a nice rest.

Just so as we're on the same page, we are both talking about using a fancy (frequently gym-locked) exercise bike, right?

15 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Just so as we're on the same page, we are both talking about using a fancy (frequently gym-locked) exercise bike, right?

Absolutely

People who think Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi and Nickelback are borderline heavy metal.

People who get the rack and pinion steam train up Mount Snowdon in Wales and then won't even leave the visitor centre to venture onto the mountain proper when they get to the top. They stand at the edge of the paving with a look of terror on their faces.

Edited by Si1

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

People who think Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi and Nickelback are borderline heavy metal.

People who get the rack and pinion steam train up Mount Snowdon in Wales and then won't even leave the visitor centre to venture onto the mountain proper when they get to the top. They stand at the edge of the paving with a look of terror on their faces.

Went up Snowdon with a group from university years ago. One of the lasses hadn't told us she was scared of heights, and we went up via Crib Goch. She seemed fine after that, kill or cure I suppose.

The ones who try to walk up Snowdon in trainers and t-shirts are probably more annoying, at least for the mountain rescue, but that's probably going beyond inconsequential.

As seen elsewhere recently, people who aren't American talking of putting out 'milk and cookies' for Father Christmas. 

Heathens!!!!  The poor old bugger needs something to warm him up, not bloody cold milk on a bleak midwinter  night!  

Whisky,  sherry or brandy only - and a mince pie. Or two.  

Here's a real corker that spawned a whole internet debacle: colours.

My old Dad asked me to pick up some shoe polish for him, showing me his shoes. When I next appeared with the polish he declared the colour to be wrong: his shoes, he said, were dark brown. I had bought black shoe polish. I pointed out the sole, which we both agreed was black, was an identical shade to the leather bang-next to it. He would not accept this. I quickly lost my rag. Why?

It's obviously inconsequential, at least on the face of it. Why did I have so much trouble coming to terms with our disagreement?

The fact that the situation was akin to the proverbial "declaring black is white" scenario did not help.

I've pondered my reaction and the reaction over the famous blue-gold dress and have come up with this:

We are born from dirt and we assuredly return to dirt, geologically speaking, in the blink of an eye. We occupy an inperceptible speck of the Universe. In short, what meaning there is to our existence, we concoct all by our selves. To counter being overwhelmed by the sheer futility of our existence, we invent reasons. So we imbue the inanimate with meaning from the day we are born(that old teddy bear). We support football clubs and surround ourselves with others in grand celebrations of self-validation (football matches). We do all we can to protect ourselves from the truth: that nothing matters.

Hardly surprising then, that we find it such an assault to have our constructed realities threatened at the most fundamental level (that black might be brown, or vice versa).

I guess, in this sense, there is almost nothing that is truly inconsequential.

21 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

As seen elsewhere recently, people who aren't American talking of putting out 'milk and cookies' for Father Christmas. 

Heathens!!!!  The poor old bugger needs something to warm him up, not bloody cold milk on a bleak midwinter  night!  

Whisky,  sherry or brandy only - and a mince pie. Or two.  

Just tell them it's a well known fact that Greelanders, like Father Christmas, are all lactose and gluten intolerant, and that unless they want their chimneys to be pebble-dashed with diarrhea, they should cut it out and revert to mince pies and brandy.

1 hour ago, Sledgehead said:

We are born from dirt and we assuredly return to dirt, geologically speaking, in the blink of an eye. We occupy an inperceptible speck of the Universe. In short, what meaning there is to our existence, we concoct all by our selves. To counter being overwhelmed by the sheer futility of our existence, we invent reasons. So we imbue the inanimate with meaning from the day we are born(that old teddy bear). We support football clubs and surround ourselves with others in grand celebrations of self-validation (football matches). We do all we can to protect ourselves from the truth: that nothing matters.

Getting rather philosophical here. Anyway - nothing matters in absolute, universal terms isn't something that we should have a problem with. Accepting that frees you from the shackles of there being some absolute that you have to try to work towards. It does, however, bring a big responsibility, that of having to decide it for ourselves, and to find our own real, meaningful reasons. IMO people are pretty bad at that.

1 hour ago, Sledgehead said:

What's it got to do with Rudolph's Irish cousin?

Thought Rudolph was the Irish one, rains in Ireland a lot and as Santa said to Mrs Claus "Rudolph the red knows rain, dear."

5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Thought Rudolph was the Irish one, rains in Ireland a lot and as Santa said to Mrs Claus "Rudolph the red knows rain, dear."

... we are of course in danger of reminding someone that "dreadful puns" annoy them intensely ...

Bucket-listers, esp those who tell you how "xyz is going on my bucket list".

It's stupid enough having a 'bucket list'. Please don't bore me by sharing yours! We all know you are just bragging. If you ever go to abc, it will be as a total tourist. If you ever do def it will be under instruction with full health and safety compliance.

Moreover these lists are always so damn predictable. They either concern over-filmed locations or some extreme sport / out-doorsie cack. All this stuff was valid for the adrenaline junkies that invented it. But what BLs fail to appreciate is that AJs are NOTHING like them. 

AJs don't make silly lists. They just DO. And they certainly wouldn't tell people about any silly lists, even if they made them. And AJs have no great need to embrace life, otherwise they wouldn't spend half their life locked in a tight embrace with oblivion.

Stop trying to be cool and stick to the day job.

Edited by Sledgehead

There's something uniquely nauseating about a person who can have a "meaningful connection" with a porpoise, whilst citing "unreconsilable differences" with a fellow human being.

Meanwhile, returning to my hatred of whodunnits, I am sorry to say I have clocked up another wasted 6 hours on this pathetic genre. The culprit? Informer.

This pile of poop didn't even care about motive. As the central character explained "why does anyone do anything?"

Okay....

I'm so pleased the thread I started (via my old account) is still going 😀

WHSmith annoy me. God I absolutely HATE them. The obscene prices. The appalling stores. Gaaagh

The assumption that we are all 'box-sets' bingers.

Why can't I watch one episode a week? Wasn't half the enjoyment of everyone viewing stuff on the same schedule the opportunity to discuss a show as it progressed?

Wasn't "on-demand" supposed to herald increased choice?

Why then are episodic shows now airing w/o the customary recap of previous episodes, forcing viewers to consume shows in a compressed timescale, lest they lose the plot. In short, we are given no choice but to binge. But I don't want to. Must I fashion my own recaps? Is there a market for that?

Loo roll that doesn't tear along the perforations, but more infuriating still, ...

People who merrily use a loo roll when the two-ply has delaminated.

They just keep tearing sheets from two separate layers of the roll. Naturally the perforations from the two layers do not align, so you are left with sheets that are both two and single-ply.

What kind of moron happily keeps stripping pseudo-sheets from this arragement?

On 23/11/2018 at 11:43, Sledgehead said:

Loo roll that doesn't tear along the perforations, but more infuriating still, ...

People who merrily use a loo roll when the two-ply has delaminated.

They just keep tearing sheets from two separate layers of the roll. Naturally the perforations from the two layers do not align, so you are left with sheets that are both two and single-ply.

What kind of moron happily keeps stripping pseudo-sheets from this arragement?

Off topic for this thread, but you've reminded me of one of the best days of my life.

The loo roll holder at work had malfunctioned and was feeding paper from two rolls simultaneously. Everything was 4-ply. I felt like a king!