Inconsequential Things That Annoy Me Intensely

HOLA441
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
On 20/11/2018 at 15:52, Sledgehead said:

Just tell them it's a well known fact that Greelanders, like Father Christmas, are all lactose and gluten intolerant, and that unless they want their chimneys to be pebble-dashed with diarrhea, they should cut it out and revert to mince pies and brandy.

Father Christmas is from Finland, not Greenland.

HOLA444

Kitchen gadgets fanboys. Instant Pot fanboys cook everything imaginable in the Instant Pot. Likewise air fryer fanboys, slow cooker fanboys. Aga fanboys etc etc. If you ask them why they cut up a large lamb leg into 3 pieces just to fit into their gadget of choice they become ultra defensive bordering on Nazi. It's a bit like Android Vs Apple.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

Use of the term "veggies", especially in sentences like "lots of lovely veggies".

Patronizing + toe-curling in extremis.

And then there is the word "yummy".

You can use that word with the other one, but I can't bring myself to do so. And yet the backs of food products purporting to be 'healthy' are smothered in this condescending drivel. Do you really think you are getting me 'on-side'? Do I look five years old? Is this how the restof the public wish to be talked to? Is that the result of all your attempts to track us across the internet and understand us, your customers, better????

HOLA446
HOLA447

Brands / companies that end in "ly".

There were, it seems, 161 of these five years ago. I imagine this number has only grown.

If you haven't noticed, grit your teeth now:

lead_720_405.png?mod=1533691557

Doubtless many a bum-fluff follicle was strained coming up with these 'original' names. Doesn't make them any less annoying or nonsensical.

I mean, Grammarly FFS. That's not even grammatically correct. Were you really aiming for irony? Maybe you should have started-up Ironily?

Same goes for "ify".

Probably only a matter of time before some 'genius' starts up a new branding consultancy called "Ify-ily". Basically you bring them your product range - say craft pies (everything is a craft product no matter how sh!t, as long as you make it in batches small enough to eliminate all economies of scale) - and they charge you £250k for coming up with the name pieify or pieily. Having subconsciously compared gross profit margins and ceremoniously stroked beards, both parties recognise they are of like minds and seal the deal with an over-priced coffee.

HOLA448
HOLA449
On 01/01/2019 at 19:34, Sledgehead said:

Do I look five years old? Is this how the rest of the public wish to be talked to?

My main one is the use of the word 'poo' - I would expect it from an infant, but it now seems to occur all the time on adult TV, even on serious medical documentaries and health programmes.

I would prefer my doctor with 10 years training and presumably high intelligence to use appropriate terms and language. I will ask for an explanation if necessary.

Edit: Yes, I've just checked an online dictionary and it is there, although I haven't got a subscription to OED.

HOLA4410
13 hours ago, frankief said:

My main one is the use of the word 'poo' - I would expect it from an infant, but it now seems to occur all the time on adult TV, even on serious medical documentaries and health programmes.

I would prefer my doctor with 10 years training and presumably high intelligence to use appropriate terms and language. I will ask for an explanation if necessary.

Edit: Yes, I've just checked an online dictionary and it is there, although I haven't got a subscription to OED.

It should be in a dictionary, a decent dictionary will have all the common informal words.

The problem is probably that most people wouldn't have a clue what was being talked about since the only alternatives they're likely to understand are sh1t and crap.

HOLA4411

When address web forms native to your zone (.co.uk) require you to choose your country via drop down box and DON'T HAVE UK LISTED AT THE TOP.

And then...

They don't list it as UK, they stick it under Great Britain or Britain or (this is when the swearing really kicks in) ENGLAND but you've already scrolled down to the bottom for UK and now you have to scroll all the way through all the other countries that the company whose website it is DON'T OPERATE IN.

*table flip*

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 03/01/2019 at 20:22, frankief said:

And pee, and tummy ....

Curiously references to genitals still seem to require proper anatomical terms.

Then again, it's been over a year since I've seen my ol' saw-bones.

Slang has a way of becoming normalised. Maybe the first time-travelling female will be taken-aback when a future robo-GP asks to examine her c**t?

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4415
On 01/01/2019 at 19:34, Sledgehead said:

Use of the term "veggies", especially in sentences like "lots of lovely veggies".

Patronizing + toe-curling in extremis.

And then there is the word "yummy".

You can use that word with the other one, but I can't bring myself to do so. And yet the backs of food products purporting to be 'healthy' are smothered in this condescending drivel. Do you really think you are getting me 'on-side'? Do I look five years old? Is this how the restof the public wish to be talked to? Is that the result of all your attempts to track us across the internet and understand us, your customers, better????

Another one I find particularly annoying is where weather reports refer to the "feels like" temperature rather than the heat index or wind chill factor.

HOLA4416
14 hours ago, FedupTeddiBear said:

Another one I find particularly annoying is where weather reports refer to the "feels like" temperature rather than the heat index or wind chill factor.

Talking of heat, what about those ads on the shopping channels that sell electric heaters that are "100% efficient". ?

Wot? Sold out of "100% fat frees, zero calorie" bottled waterr have we?

Can't say which part of this I find most annoying: the peeps who fall for the marketing, the manufacturers who make the stuff, the marketers who write the briefs, the copywriters who string the words together, the lawyers who rubber stamp the form of words, the presenters who read it out, the channels who broadcast it or the regulators who let them get away with it. All I know is a whole lot of people are being paid a whole lot of money for a whole lot of rubbish that will ultimately be found wanting and end up littering the place up.

HOLA4417

People calling things 'awesome' or 'amazing', referring to a nice meal or a 5km run or something. Really, no. Awesomeness only really begins when you complete your first marathon, scale the Matterhorn, make a million etc.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 06/02/2019 at 09:52, Bruce Banner said:

TV chefs must really annoy you.

Strangely enough I like Rich Stein despite his hyperbole. I think he really does find these things amazing, and he finds amazingness in things I too would find amazing. Like when he was having fish and chips in the bar on a cross channel ferry, fact was he was off on his travels enjoying himself and yeah it was simple fresh, uncomplicated, amazing, happy, great context etc. As opposed to paying £50 for a steak which isn't.

HOLA4421
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422

People who say "There are two types of people in life: those who [fill in a supposed discrete aspect of an imagined, homogenous, group of people, trait_#1], and those who [fill in the diametrically opposite aspect of  'trait_#1', trait_#2]"

One of these aspects is always and axiomatically, 'a good thing', at least from the point of view of those who use these expressions. The other, its antithesis, is always and obviously a bad thing. Whether trait_#1 or trait_#2 is the desirable one, one thing is always true: the person postulating the nonsense always possesses the favoured aspect.

The implicit message is also always the same: no matter what other merit those without the favoured trait possess, they are irredeemably 'other' and unworthy. No aspect of character or behaviour in those possessing the trait, no matter how extremely expressed, can possibly exclude them from the supposed club of the 'chosen' ones.

Of course, those who use this phrase often disagree with the deciding trait, immediately casting doubt on the validity of such assertions. But perhaps most damning of all is the disposition of those who use such words. Invariably immature, they see the world in binary choices, black and white: you should really feel sorry for them. That doesn't make them any less annoying.

HOLA4423

Black and white is nice and simple, people like nice and simple. It's the pigeonholing thing I've gone on about from time to time, the same sort of reasoning that idiots give to say that if you don't like a lot of something you shouldn't have anything to do with any of it, and go to the opposite extreme. I would say ignore them but it's rather hard when they make up a significant proportion of humanity.

"There are two kinds of people..." worked in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Easier to get away with it when you're pointing a gun at someone I suppose.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived