House Price Crash Forum

Inconsequential Things That Annoy Me Intensely

5 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Back on topic.

Inconsequential things that annoy me intensely?

Self appointed forum policemen.

Room 101

Frank : So what's winding up Sledgehead?

SH : kids who wear their trousers half way down their arses

Frank : So what's winding up Duncan?

Duncan : ketchup that all comes out in one slap of the bottle

Frank: So what's winding up Bruce Banner?

Bruce Banner: that children still go to bed hungry.

Frank: Well Sh, as much as there is enough material in the world to cover kids arses, it's fashion and it's what they want to wear. As for ketchup Duncan, you can now buy it in squeezy bottles, allowing you to put out as much or as little as you like. But the thought of little children, with their big sad eyes, going hungry, saddens me to the bottom of my heart, and for that reason, it's Bruce's choice I'm going with. Childhood hunger is going in Room 101

At which point Bruce leaps to his feet, pulls his t-shirt over his face and runs about the set chanting "one-nil, one-nil, one-nil, one-nil ...."

On 13/05/2018 at 20:56, Will! said:

I was recently rejected as a volunteer with my current local branch (Brighton) of the Samaritans. 

I was a volunteer, but almost didn't do it as beforehand I imagined they must be incredibly empathetic and loving superbeings and how would I as a normal person measure up to that? After a while I found they were actually normal people as well with all the good and bad traits that normal people have. I was at that branch for many years and on the whole I found that the other volunteers were, as you might expect, a lot less assholeistic then the general population and I enjoyed my time there. On this occasion you got unlucky and got on the wrong side of someone with influence. I hope this doesn't put you off caring about others and that you do something else that helps people.

On 11/05/2018 at 18:41, Dogtanian said:

A perpetual slight annoyance of mine are people who stand at pedestrian crossings but don't push the green man button.  It's just something I notice all the time... Sometimes the same pedestrians don't even cross when the coast is clear (i.e they are waiting for the green light).  Worst by far is when it's busy and nobody presses on either side just stands with blank faces waiting.  First world problem for sure.

A lot of the time the button doesn't do anything - people who are regulars in the area know this so don't press it.

Companies that have been spamming my email account with multiple emails begging me to agree to them keeping my details on their database because unless I do, after the 25th, they won't be able to continue to pester me.

Well, guess what, I ignored the lot of them, and today, the 26th, many are just carrying on like it never happened :rolleyes:.

Critters (most likely foxes) using my flower beds as an al fresco knocking shop.

Largely I let nature take its course when it comes to flower beds, and I think that looks best. Trouble is the animals seem to agree. I'm guessing if critters had smart phones they'd be giving my flower beds 5 stars on trip advisor. I've now put some short pointy sticks in the soil to spoil their fun, but the damage is already done. Now the beds look as unkempt as they actually are. Bother!

6 hours ago, Funn3r said:

A lot of the time the button doesn't do anything - people who are regulars in the area know this so don't press it.

Weird, a fake button!  My favourites are the crossings that after a set period of time instant!  And for the record I never press the button if the coast is clear, and if quiet then will deliberately wait to save unnecessary stops - I actually think of it more as environmentally friendly action rather than avoiding the ire of some random driver!   However if it's cold raining/ in a hurry and busy traffic it's annoying seeing people standing there gormless obviously not able to cross until somebody Else presses said button. 

msm media and clickbait that describes reactions or opinions of "The Internet" ....to me for some reason it always come's across as alluding to "The Internet" as a distinct collective identity and not just "People".   Could be just me though!

The notion that seemingly every new product must have a back-story. I really don't want to know that the  toilet tissue was inspired by the entrepreneur's world-record breaking sized piles: just tell me softness is the supposed usp, and I'll make up my own mind thanks.

On 24/05/2018 at 11:09, Bruce Banner said:

Actually, I do this all the time. I have a bee in my bonnet about people who press the button and then cross before the green light, if the coast is clear, leaving the traffic to stop for no reason a few minutes later. So, I never press the button if I can see a break in the traffic I'll wait for it and cross on the red. If I do press the button, I will always wait for the green light even if there is no traffic at all. 

So, which is more annoying, seeing someone standing by a pedestrian controlled crossing, waiting for the green light, or having to stop at a pedestrian controlled crossing when there is no pedestrian in sight?

What about the dithery old dears who still don't cross when the green man shows?  They look ditherily (or suspiciously)  here and there, as if convinced that it's some fiendish trick perpetrated by the splat-a-wrinkly brigade.  Eventually they dither across, just as the lights  are about to change again. 

11 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

What about the dithery old dears who still don't cross when the green man shows?  They look ditherily (or suspiciously)  here and there, as if convinced that it's some fiendish trick perpetrated by the splat-a-wrinkly brigade.  Eventually they dither across, just as the lights  are about to change again. 

Oh the humanity!

On 26/05/2018 at 11:18, Funn3r said:

I was a volunteer, but almost didn't do it as beforehand I imagined they must be incredibly empathetic and loving superbeings and how would I as a normal person measure up to that? After a while I found they were actually normal people as well with all the good and bad traits that normal people have. I was at that branch for many years and on the whole I found that the other volunteers were, as you might expect, a lot less assholeistic then the general population and I enjoyed my time there. On this occasion you got unlucky and got on the wrong side of someone with influence. I hope this doesn't put you off caring about others and that you do something else that helps people.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll find something.  But first...

19 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

I'm intensely annoyed by people (usually 60+ or Mediterranean tourists it seems to me) who stand with one foot on a train that's about to leave and one foot on the platform while they try to decide whether they want to board the train or not.  Not a tenable position!

OAP women who queue with a friend in coffee shop... Nattering until they reach the front. Then look surprised when asked what they'd like... And THEN start looking at the menu... After 5 mins ask their friend what they're having. Finally ask for "just a coffee". When asked which size, start looking at size of cups on the counter.

Men, on the other hand have chosen before they enter the store, and have the correct change ready to go.

The phrase "Nothing burger" and the -gate suffix.

They're so...I don't know. It take longer to type and read "Nothing burger" than simply "Nothing"...which kinda defies the point of the word.  Burger is hardly a natural following word to nothing so it actually takes a brain cycle or two to work the stupid ******ing expression out.

TL;DR ****** lazy journos

Edited by chronyx

On 05/06/2018 at 05:22, Guest said:

OAP women who queue with a friend in coffee shop... Nattering until they reach the front. Then look surprised when asked what they'd like... And THEN start looking at the menu... After 5 mins ask their friend what they're having. Finally ask for "just a coffee". When asked which size, start looking at size of cups on the counter.

Men, on the other hand have chosen before they enter the store, and have the correct change ready to go.

People who think coffee shops are supposed to be an exercise is efficiency.

When did we suddenly forget that coffee shops are about whiling away the time?

What next? Pit-stop pubs?

People who, when losing an argument resort to "you must be right, mustn't you?", as if it's actually a fault.

Houston: "Come in Apollo 13. Gotta small thing we might need to worry about. Bill down in technical is saying we might have a  problem with one of the oxygen tanks. Something to do with the calculations being done on his self-appointed day of whimsy."

On 14/09/2018 at 14:33, Sledgehead said:

People who think coffee shops are supposed to be an exercise is efficiency.

When did we suddenly forget that coffee shops are about whiling away the time?

What next? Pit-stop pubs?

There's a balance. I get as annoyed with excessive dawdlers as a lot of people, but it's nothing compared to my contempt of the idea that everything must be fast and "efficient". Let's all slow down life a bit! That goes beyond "inconsequential" though.