House Price Crash Forum

Inconsequential Things That Annoy Me Intensely

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

People who think Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi and Nickelback are borderline heavy metal.

People who get the rack and pinion steam train up Mount Snowdon in Wales and then won't even leave the visitor centre to venture onto the mountain proper when they get to the top. They stand at the edge of the paving with a look of terror on their faces.

Went up Snowdon with a group from university years ago. One of the lasses hadn't told us she was scared of heights, and we went up via Crib Goch. She seemed fine after that, kill or cure I suppose.

The ones who try to walk up Snowdon in trainers and t-shirts are probably more annoying, at least for the mountain rescue, but that's probably going beyond inconsequential.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

As seen elsewhere recently, people who aren't American talking of putting out 'milk and cookies' for Father Christmas. 

Heathens!!!!  The poor old bugger needs something to warm him up, not bloody cold milk on a bleak midwinter  night!  

Whisky,  sherry or brandy only - and a mince pie. Or two.  

HOLA443
HOLA444

Here's a real corker that spawned a whole internet debacle: colours.

My old Dad asked me to pick up some shoe polish for him, showing me his shoes. When I next appeared with the polish he declared the colour to be wrong: his shoes, he said, were dark brown. I had bought black shoe polish. I pointed out the sole, which we both agreed was black, was an identical shade to the leather bang-next to it. He would not accept this. I quickly lost my rag. Why?

It's obviously inconsequential, at least on the face of it. Why did I have so much trouble coming to terms with our disagreement?

The fact that the situation was akin to the proverbial "declaring black is white" scenario did not help.

I've pondered my reaction and the reaction over the famous blue-gold dress and have come up with this:

We are born from dirt and we assuredly return to dirt, geologically speaking, in the blink of an eye. We occupy an inperceptible speck of the Universe. In short, what meaning there is to our existence, we concoct all by our selves. To counter being overwhelmed by the sheer futility of our existence, we invent reasons. So we imbue the inanimate with meaning from the day we are born(that old teddy bear). We support football clubs and surround ourselves with others in grand celebrations of self-validation (football matches). We do all we can to protect ourselves from the truth: that nothing matters.

Hardly surprising then, that we find it such an assault to have our constructed realities threatened at the most fundamental level (that black might be brown, or vice versa).

I guess, in this sense, there is almost nothing that is truly inconsequential.

HOLA445
21 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

As seen elsewhere recently, people who aren't American talking of putting out 'milk and cookies' for Father Christmas. 

Heathens!!!!  The poor old bugger needs something to warm him up, not bloody cold milk on a bleak midwinter  night!  

Whisky,  sherry or brandy only - and a mince pie. Or two.  

Just tell them it's a well known fact that Greelanders, like Father Christmas, are all lactose and gluten intolerant, and that unless they want their chimneys to be pebble-dashed with diarrhea, they should cut it out and revert to mince pies and brandy.

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Sledgehead said:

We are born from dirt and we assuredly return to dirt, geologically speaking, in the blink of an eye. We occupy an inperceptible speck of the Universe. In short, what meaning there is to our existence, we concoct all by our selves. To counter being overwhelmed by the sheer futility of our existence, we invent reasons. So we imbue the inanimate with meaning from the day we are born(that old teddy bear). We support football clubs and surround ourselves with others in grand celebrations of self-validation (football matches). We do all we can to protect ourselves from the truth: that nothing matters.

Getting rather philosophical here. Anyway - nothing matters in absolute, universal terms isn't something that we should have a problem with. Accepting that frees you from the shackles of there being some absolute that you have to try to work towards. It does, however, bring a big responsibility, that of having to decide it for ourselves, and to find our own real, meaningful reasons. IMO people are pretty bad at that.

HOLA448
HOLA449
5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Thought Rudolph was the Irish one, rains in Ireland a lot and as Santa said to Mrs Claus "Rudolph the red knows rain, dear."

... we are of course in danger of reminding someone that "dreadful puns" annoy them intensely ...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Bucket-listers, esp those who tell you how "xyz is going on my bucket list".

It's stupid enough having a 'bucket list'. Please don't bore me by sharing yours! We all know you are just bragging. If you ever go to abc, it will be as a total tourist. If you ever do def it will be under instruction with full health and safety compliance.

Moreover these lists are always so damn predictable. They either concern over-filmed locations or some extreme sport / out-doorsie cack. All this stuff was valid for the adrenaline junkies that invented it. But what BLs fail to appreciate is that AJs are NOTHING like them. 

AJs don't make silly lists. They just DO. And they certainly wouldn't tell people about any silly lists, even if they made them. And AJs have no great need to embrace life, otherwise they wouldn't spend half their life locked in a tight embrace with oblivion.

Stop trying to be cool and stick to the day job.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

There's something uniquely nauseating about a person who can have a "meaningful connection" with a porpoise, whilst citing "unreconsilable differences" with a fellow human being.

Meanwhile, returning to my hatred of whodunnits, I am sorry to say I have clocked up another wasted 6 hours on this pathetic genre. The culprit? Informer.

This pile of poop didn't even care about motive. As the central character explained "why does anyone do anything?"

Okay....

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The assumption that we are all 'box-sets' bingers.

Why can't I watch one episode a week? Wasn't half the enjoyment of everyone viewing stuff on the same schedule the opportunity to discuss a show as it progressed?

Wasn't "on-demand" supposed to herald increased choice?

Why then are episodic shows now airing w/o the customary recap of previous episodes, forcing viewers to consume shows in a compressed timescale, lest they lose the plot. In short, we are given no choice but to binge. But I don't want to. Must I fashion my own recaps? Is there a market for that?

HOLA4416

Loo roll that doesn't tear along the perforations, but more infuriating still, ...

People who merrily use a loo roll when the two-ply has delaminated.

They just keep tearing sheets from two separate layers of the roll. Naturally the perforations from the two layers do not align, so you are left with sheets that are both two and single-ply.

What kind of moron happily keeps stripping pseudo-sheets from this arragement?

HOLA4417
On 23/11/2018 at 11:43, Sledgehead said:

Loo roll that doesn't tear along the perforations, but more infuriating still, ...

They just keep tearing sheets from two separate layers of the roll. Naturally the perforations from the two layers do not align, so you are left with sheets that are both two and single-ply.

Off topic for this thread, but you've reminded me of one of the best days of my life.

The loo roll holder at work had malfunctioned and was feeding paper from two rolls simultaneously. Everything was 4-ply. I felt like a king!

HOLA4418
6 hours ago, up2late said:

Off topic for this thread, but you've reminded me of one of the best days of my life.

The loo roll holder at work had malfunctioned and was feeding paper from two rolls simultaneously. Everything was 4-ply. I felt like a king!

Either you're easily pleased or there's one for Dragon's Den!

Anyhow, here's a topical ones:

10456986.jpg

Er, no. Having something on sale at a 40% discount, is not the same as saving 40%.

If you put 40% of your wages into long term savings and investments, yes that would justify a label such as that shown above. However, we all know that people who respond to labels such as this are actually SPENDING, not saving.

I pointed out this etymological b@rstardisation to a younger (and considerably poorer) Martin Lewis, when he was trying to stir up interest in his then-embryonic website. I told him, if anything, he was actually a money-spending expert. I told him to qualify for the title "money saving expert" he needed to be showing people how NOT to spend and where to put the savings. His reply was something along the lines of "who would be interested in that?"

It's that kind of frank acceptance of public fecklessness that separates multi-millionaires like him from the rest of us.

HOLA4419

TV sizes. I've currently got a 37" TV. I quite like the screen size and it occurred to me that a newer TV would have the same screen size but be overall quite a bit smaller (mine has quite a wide bezel around the screen). So I could get the same screen but have the thing take up less space. But nope, no-one seems to make that size any more. I could get a bigger screen in the same footprint but that's fairly pointless.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 23/11/2018 at 11:43, Sledgehead said:

Don't forget those who turn the roll so the paper falls against the wall and not the consumer... 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Not that I'm having a go at Mr B or anything, but people who don't effing well listen when you say, If you're going to the post office can you please get me two dozen 2nd class Christmas stamps (for the cards they know I've  purposely written nice and early, to post nice and early) - and they come back with 1st class stamps, 'Because I thought they'd be quicker.' 

Also people who come back from the shops with mince pies when they're supposed to be banned* in this house until 1st December, when I will make the first batch of 24, which will last approx 2 days.  I have made Delia's reputedly super-fantastic mincemeat this year, so they ought to be worth waiting for. 

*on grounds of limiting sheer piggery of course 

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived