House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Profumo Affair's Mandy Rice-Davies Dies At The Age Of 70

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30547066

Former model Mandy Rice-Davies, one of the main figures in the 1960s Profumo affair, has died from cancer at the age of 70, her publicist has said.

She - along with Christine Keeler - was at the centre of the scandal which threatened to bring down Harold Macmillan's government.

Rice-Davies lived with Keeler, whose affair with war minister John Profumo prompted his resignation in 1963.

However, she never met the politician herself.

Keeler was also said to be having a relationship with Soviet defence attache Yevgeny Ivanov, while Profumo denied having an affair with Keeler in the House of Commons.

A huge scandal at the time.

I remember the profumo scandal. I was in a pedal car my dad bought me! I was in the snow and waiting for Sunday Dinner! The pedal car looked like a Mark 2 Ford Zodiac! The words were lost on me, as I was too young!

One for the women you wouldn't thread

article-0-1B4EDAA100000578-66_634x598.jp

If only she could have "blacked up a bit" and put some weight on her bottom! Maybe you don't like blondies?

If only she could have "blacked up a bit" and put some weight on her bottom! Maybe you don't like blondies?

Are you sure she's blonde Mr Pin?

Apart from being dead she actually aged better than Christine Keeler, here's Christine at Poundland this morning

Christine+Keeler+unrecognizable+71+DCksi

and back when she was turning heads of cabinet ministers and Russian spies

christine-keeler-in-spain-colour.jpg

Surely more relevant to HPC: wasn't she once Peter Rachmann's floozy?

Indeed, an excellent property investor, who made "fine homes" for many. :blink: Except they weren't!

Being an oik, I thought I'd look up where Cliveden house is on their handy map facility.

And I just had a quick peek at their handy history of Cliveden page.

No mention of the (alleged) pro-Nazi aristocratic japes in the 1930s, funnily enough

wiki: Cliveden set

On the list of reasons *not* to have done the business with MRD, the chaps she was associated with in the early 1960s didn't exactly go on to live long, healthy lives - Ward, Rachman, Astor.

Yes, we arrived by helicopter and were taken to the terrace by limo. A quick river trip and back for lunch (£££ service charge per head). They were the days! Old money, (LSD) but still £40 a shot for the brandy!

Remember it well! Not a mushy pea in sight!

Well, you would, woudn't you? ;)

(You might need to know the story to get that one)

Those were the days when a gentleman simply had to deny the accusations of a tuppeny-ha'penny trollop and that would be the end of it as far as a policeman was concerned. Whatever the truth of the matter.

Those were the days when a gentleman simply had to deny the accusations of a tuppeny-ha'penny trollop and that would be the end of it as far as a policeman was concerned. Whatever the truth of the matter.

Whereas now with Bird and Bolter it's the other way round....

Those were also the days of posh trollops who knew when to keep their lips tightly shut (and when to open them)...

15clppw.jpg

Duchess of Argyll

Yes, we arrived by helicopter and were taken to the terrace by limo. A quick river trip and back for lunch (£££ service charge per head). They were the days! Old money, (LSD) but still £40 a shot for the brandy!

Remember it well! Not a mushy pea in sight!

I shall make sure chips and curry sauce are on the menu next time!

She has her place in history, not to mention an entry in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations:

<'Mandy Rice-Davies

English courtesan

"He would, wouldn't he?"

At the trial of Stephen Ward, 29 June 1963, on being told that Lord Astor claimed that her allegations, concerning him and his house parties at Cliveden, were untrue. >

('Courtesan sounds so much better than tuppeny ha'penny trollop, doesn't it?).

Those were also the days of posh trollops who knew when to keep their lips tightly shut (and when to open them)...

15clppw.jpg

Duchess of Argyll

She spent the first 14 years of her life in New York City, where she was educated privately at the Hewitt School. Her beauty was much spoken of, and she had youthful romances with playboy Prince Aly Khan, millionaire aviator Glen Kidston, car salesman Baron Martin Stillman von Brabus, and publishing heir Max Aitken.[3] In 1928, David Niven seduced the 15-year-old Margaret Whigham, during a holiday at Bembridge on the Isle of Wight.

So, should we exhume David Niven and put him on trial?

Best dig up Niven's old flat-mate, Errol Flynn and retry him as well whilst we're at it

The Duchess of Argyll affair is miles more entertaining than the Profumo business and possibly the best s3x scandal ever imho...

Also introduced to the court was a list of as many as eighty-eight men the Duke believed had enjoyed his wife's favours; the list is said to include two government ministers and three royals. The judge commented that the Duchess had indulged in "disgusting sexual activities". Lord Denning was called upon by the government to track down the "headless man". He compared the handwriting of the five leading "suspects" (Duncan-Sandys (Minister of Defence); Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.; John Cohane, an American businessman; Peter Combe, a former press officer at the Savoy Hotel; and Sigismund von Braun, brother of the German scientist Wernher von Braun) with the captions written on the photographs.

Apart from being dead she actually aged better than Christine Keeler, here's Christine at Poundland this morning

Christine+Keeler+unrecognizable+71+DCksi

and back when she was turning heads of cabinet ministers and Russian spies

christine-keeler-in-spain-colour.jpg

Oh, come with old Khayyam, and leave the Wise

To talk; one thing is certain, that Life flies;

One thing is certain, and the Rest is Lies;

The Flower that once has blown forever dies.

While you're at it, how about the paedophile 4th century Bishop of Myra, who is much celebrated in this season?

In 1928, David Niven was 18. (Assuming the IOW holiday was after his birthday, March 1st.) Age of majority at the time was 21 so they were both minors.

('Courtesan sounds so much better than tuppeny ha'penny trollop, doesn't it?).

You prefer "Courtesan" over "Socialite"?

Hafta say, I agree. But I did wonder if that was anything more than a mild preference for francophone over 'merkin influences in linguistics in the absence of an indigenous equivalent.