House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Jemmy Button

Apple

Guest Jemmy Button

Viewing the Panorama programme, I am so glad I have never bought an Apple product ever.

This has been known about for years. I don't think that Apple has just turned the blind eye. You could argue that the BBC - a huge purchaser, and some would say a huge promoter, of Apple products - has done the same IMPO.

Guest Jemmy Button

You stick to the ones that aren't made in China?

An obvious Apple user - shame on YOU!

Oh I see. Apple utilise unethical employment practices in the 3rd world

Surely not. What about all the right on lefties with apple products? What will they use to email each other with now?

Every so often there seems to be an expose that shows that clothing or footwear manufacturers buy from slave/sweat-shops.

But it doesn't seem to make any real difference to sales.

You can't even argue that we get trainers cheaply because of the labour costs. Partner wanted a pair for Christmas. Trainers, that is, just to clarify.

A hundred pounds. For some tat that either can't be worn outside, and/or that will be knackered in months.

I can't imagine Apple are any better or worse than any other Chinese electronic tat merchant.

I used to use a Psion Series 5, on the bottom were the mythical words "made in England"

Still have it, but the screen is dead.

I remember the IBM laptop ad, "cheaper than pencil and paper" (late 90s I guess). Could they run an ad like that today, or would people not understand?

The BBC seem to have an obsession with Apple and Twitter, I think they have figured out that adding these brand names to a programme will increase the number of readers, would you be as keen to watch a panorama programme titled "Tin mining in China" compared to one bashing Apple?

The heavy demand for Tin is a direct result of the EU ban on lead solder, many people consider this well intended law has actually made things worse - a small amount of lead (which is one of the most easily recycled elements) is better than a large amount of Tin.

"Replacing tin-lead with pure tin is turning out to have been a huge mistake. There are two significant differences between lead-free assembly and lead-based assembly.

"1. Lead-free assembly is not better for the environment, it is worse. The additional tin mining required to produce high-purity tin alloys, plus the mining of other precious metals required to alloy with tin in substitution for lead is a poor trade for the use of existing lead, much of which comes from recycled products. This information comes from a study conducted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The study undercuts the primary basis for RoHS.

"2. Lead-free assembly is less reliable than lead-based assembly. The E.U. environmental commission admits this point. That's why they grant exceptions for military and high-reliability applications that still use SnPb solder. (Ref. 3)

What amazed me was how labour intensive assembly is. You'd think that when you're knocking out a million or so phones a year you could buy some robots,

it all seemed antiquated to me.

I can't imagine Apple are any better or worse than any other Chinese electronic tat merchant.

Mr Pin, you're talking far too sensibly! Have another glass of the Christmas brandy, then you can spout opinionated nonsense like the rest of us!

Tim cook's remuneration last year was reportedly $350 million

The issue didn't directly concern me, but they advertise that they are on a mission to make peoples lives better. Depends on which people you're thinking of. Funny company mission considering how their factories work. Henry Ford wanted to change the world, and also treated his workers with respect, apparently.

What amazed me was how labour intensive assembly is. You'd think that when you're knocking out a million or so phones a year you could buy some robots,

it all seemed antiquated to me.

The film only showed the last stage - assembly, I bet that the manufacturing of all the components is much more automated and also where more environmental issues would be seen.

Mr Pin, you're talking far too sensibly! Have another glass of the Christmas brandy, then you can spout opinionated nonsense like the rest of us!

I've never talked sense in my whole life! See my other threads for proof! :rolleyes:

The film only showed the last stage - assembly, I bet that the manufacturing of all the components is much more automated and also where more environmental issues would be seen.

agreed but there's no way surface mount technology can be done other ways

I just mean plugs, screws, etc etc struck me that this assembly is close to the tipping point of full automation

Anyway, it isn't and the Apple process is the same as many other makers

agreed but there's no way surface mount technology can be done other ways

I just mean plugs, screws, etc etc struck me that this assembly is close to the tipping point of full automation

Anyway, it isn't and the Apple process is the same as many other makers

People are cheaper than robots I guess.