House Price Crash Forum
spyguy

Fat Fergus Bans Namesakes From Renting

" "I plan to appeal the orders on the basis that the forms I was sent were impossible to understand and that Maidstone Borough Council said the properties were unoccupied for more than one month which is not the case."

Ignorance of the law is no defence. Ignorance of the forms is probably no defence either.

He added that he is keen for legislation to be passed that requires landlords to collect council tax from tenants and thinks this will prevent future issues.

Good luck with that Fatty Fergy

" "I plan to appeal the orders on the basis that the forms I was sent were impossible to understand and that Maidstone Borough Council said the properties were unoccupied for more than one month which is not the case."

Ignorance of the law is no defence. Ignorance of the forms is probably no defence either.

And just plain ignorance, stupidity and arrogance isn`t either...I think Kentonline love publishing his stupidity and he thinks he is just being listened to.

Fergus isn't really in control anymore though, is he?

Some of his lending has been subject to forbearance and without knowing what has gone on behind the scenes, the sooner UKFI take a stand and start to seriously put the screws on the Wilsons in the absence of a buyer for his portfolio, the better.

The portfolio has been up for sale for years, no one is taking it. Time to start winding it down piecemeal and offer some homes for sale to normal people when they become vacant naturally. The last few years have been wasted.

Slightly off topic but just think how much council tax would be collected if it was the responsibility of landlords to pay it? Especially if a household of students were not exempt.

I'd love to see people like Fergus get hit with a huge tax bill even if they'd just try and pass on the costs by raising rents but then, might just be worth strengthening legislation on rent increases to prevent that from happening in an unfair way.

Some of his lending has been subject to forbearance and without knowing what has gone on behind the scenes, the sooner UKFI take a stand and start to seriously put the screws on the Wilsons in the absence of a buyer for his portfolio, the better.

The portfolio has been up for sale for years, no one is taking it. Time to start winding it down piecemeal and offer some homes for sale to normal people when they become vacant naturally. The last few years have been wasted.

I would not mind betting they (UKAR) have already started to drip feed them on to the market already and thats why he was shouting from the roof tops about all the foreign investors queuing up to buy the lot

Isn't the problem that the valuation of the portfolio is to model and when they try to sell any properties it shows how much lower the market ie true value of the portfolio is.

As far as I know most ex BTL properties always sell for below the price of those sold by owner occupiers.

Who thinks they had 10 properties let to people named 'Wilson' who then went on to not pay their council tax?

Not likely is it.

Actually, it seems very plausible to me.

He's got 800 properties, and been letting them for 10 years - so probably 4000 sets of tenants. Wilson is a very common name, with about 1% of the population of Kent being called Wilson.

So, perhaps 40 sets of "Wilson"s over the last few years, and probably a similar number of "Wilsons"s. About 10% of the population default on at least 1 bill over.

So, his claim is certainly not ludicrous. That doesn't mean that it's true or unexaggerated. As someone who has been harassed incessantly over other people's debts, you should not underestimate how disruptive such a false claim can be.

Of course, as a professional LL, this should be built into your cost/time structure - but it is a cost that could be reduced by changes to the tax system.

So, to sum up.

Wilson says he has a defence,

a The forms were impossible to understand. No he didn't ring the Council for clarification.

b. It wasn't him, it was some big boys also called Wilson who ran away.

c. He had his day in court but was too busy to attend and offer his wonderful explanations.

d. Any suggestion that he hasn't got the money is beyond the pale, unthinkable, not true, a lie.

e.He is not going to pay, he is going to appeal. Yeah.

I believe with the psyche of Wilson that when the chips are finally down and he has no where else to run he will suddenly become ill, and not be able to attend any bankruptcy hearings.

Not only that he will accuse the government via UKAR of persecuting a successful business man and making that successful businessman ill.

I have not checked the Maidstone Borough Council but many councils changed their empty property discounts on council tax. For them the Council records may have been naff. Or the unintended consequences of their policies maybe the tenants did not understand they had to pay council tax ? (Edit Thougg the surnames are Wilson) Or maybe the properties were empty and they missed the changes.

I think the council tax is normally in the rental aggrement so the contract may provide a method to sort non-payers ?

Edited by Ash4781