House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

North Korean Cyber Attack - Act Of War?

The NK government has directly launched an attack upon a foreign corporation in order to force it do what it wants, and not for the first time.

If it had gone out and shot a few executives this may be viewed as an act of war; this is equally damaging.

Time for some international retaliation, or do we let NK continue to lay waste any company they don't like?

I'd hardly say they've laid waste. I think they've done us all a favour, some of those hacked emails are hilarious and terrifying in equal measure. The rotten heart of Hollywood laid bare.

That would be the same Sony that's been systematically laying off techies this year.

Hmmm, maybe it should have bought some fax machines in at the same time.

I find this very hard to believe - hacking requires not just technical skill but flair and imagination. You have to have an expressive mind... or be somewhere on the austic spectrum... and I just can't see how people born and raised in NK could ever think outside of the box.

I suspect that this was more to do with poor IT security on the Sony end - it has been reported that lots of systems had 'password' as the password.

Occam's razor - I suspect whoever did this is also responsible for all the naked s*e*x photos of Hollywood actresses appearing online during The Fappening.

OK, the Chinese may have done it for the NKs but the NKs? Really? Come on, look at all those photos of their glorious leader sat next to state of the art computers... from a decade or two back.

OK, the Chinese may have done it for the NKs but the NKs? Really? Come on, look at all those photos of their glorious leader sat next to state of the art computers... from a decade or two back.

the high tech military nuclear facility did look like it was being powered by commodore 64's with a couple of CRT oscilliscopes attatched to it.

highly amusing.

the high tech military nuclear facility did look like it was being powered by commodore 64's with a couple of CRT oscilliscopes attatched to it.

highly amusing.

By the looks of it I think their top man is in charge of shuffling the floppy disc. Their top man.

48-North-Koreas-secret-weapon.jpg

I find this very hard to believe - hacking requires not just technical skill but flair and imagination. You have to have an expressive mind... or be somewhere on the austic spectrum... and I just can't see how people born and raised in NK could ever think outside of the box.

I suspect that this was more to do with poor IT security on the Sony end - it has been reported that lots of systems had 'password' as the password.

Occam's razor - I suspect whoever did this is also responsible for all the naked s*e*x photos of Hollywood actresses appearing online during The Fappening.

People may mock NK, but they have history...They've targeted the South Koreans before (as well as other governments), and they're smuggling in Western equipment from China...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/quiet-digital-revolution-under-way-north-korea-140608632.html#c4W0zUM

Since then, North Korean IT firms have quietly developed software for banks in the Middle East, applications for cell phone makers in Japan and South Korea and even video games for Nintendo and Playstation, said Paul Tjia, a Dutch IT consultant who has been working with North Korean companies for years.

I keep up to date with http://www.northkoreatech.org/ fairly interesting stuff..Much like the Russians, but they're more fanatical..

Guest Jemmy Button

The NK government has directly launched an attack upon a foreign corporation in order to force it do what it wants, and not for the first time.

If it had gone out and shot a few executives this may be viewed as an act of war; this is equally damaging.

Time for some international retaliation, or do we let NK continue to lay waste any company they don't like?

I dunno about this N Korea thing but I do think that the overthrowing of a legitimate Government in Ukraine by the CIA to be more of an act of war.

I always love the 5 people taking notes wherever Jong-Un visits, as if he's some kind of polymath troubleshooter :lol: .

Before enjoying having mates round for a viewing of The Fappening.

140513-mong-north-korea-kim-jong-un_c3dd

that one is clearly photoshopped.

the flatscreen telly is a bit of a giveaway! :P

that one is clearly photoshopped.

the flatscreen telly is a bit of a giveaway! :P

You're right!

Hilarious.

Note that he has binoculars at hand in case the photoshopped monitor isn't big enough.

Edit: And yet.... the picture seems to pass basic Error Level Analysis, which should highlight most photoshopping.

Perhaps the odd lighting around/of the monitor is due to flash photography. It looks odd, but basic forensic analysis of the picture suggests that it has not been manipulated.

Maybe the Norks can get their hand on the occasional flat screen monitor after all.

You're right!

Hilarious.

Note that he has binoculars at hand in case the photoshopped monitor isn't big enough.

Maybe the Norks can get their hand on the occasional flat screen monitor after all.

WIth a VGA input.

it takes a long time to comprehensively hack an entire system.

It is reported that terrabytes of data from the web site, to sales systems and payroll have all been hacked.

It is reported this would have taken months to do without inside help.

Far longer than it took to make and publicise this film.

It is reported that Sony are actually investigating sacked ex employees, many of whom could have provided bits of info to carry out the hack as a whole.

Sony have apparently made thousands redundant.

However, having NK the hacker is convenient for lawmakers in the US who try time and time again to get regulation of the internet. Not that current regulation actually makes what happened illegal...they just need to make it even more illegal to prevent this stuff.

The US Gubmint apparently regards the Sony hack as a National Security issue.

So Sony is part of the Gubmint, I assume. The propaganda arm?

Isnt Sony Japanese?

The US Gubmint apparently regards the Sony hack as a National Security issue.

So Sony is part of the Gubmint, I assume. The propaganda arm?

Sony was, of course, distributor of the CIA torture-friendly, historical accuracy not so friendly Zero Dark 30, which not accidentally gave the misleading impression that torture helped apprehend bin Laden.

I couldn't help noticing that George Clooney is the celeb making the biggest fuss about the hack. That would be Council on Foreign Relations member George Clooney who set up his own humanitarian (sic.) surveillance satellite over the Sudan (rich in both human suffering and oil), who is married to Julian Assange's lawyer, who produced and starred in the CIA-friendly Syriana, and who also produced the CIA-friendly Argo which starred Ben Affleck. Ben Affleck also starred in the CIA-friendly The Sum of All Fears, and is married to Jennifer Garner who starred in five seasons of the CIA-Friendly Alias. She also appeared in a CIA recruitment video in 2003 as a freebie.

CIA media liaison officer Chase Brandon is credited with providing technical assistance to both Alias and The Sum of All Fears. He also took time out from liaising with CIA-friendly movies to help with Enemy of the State which puts the shaft into the NSA, good and hard. Must try harder with your media liaison NSA.

AMC - the biggest cinema chain in the US - is apparently now owned by the Chinese.

Sony Pictures is owned by the Japanese.

According to what I heard on the BBC AMC did not want to screen the film over security / safety fears.

Hmm...