House Price Crash Forum

Russia Raises Irs To 17%

spyguy

HOLA441

Real interest rate of ~7%

Just goes to show that when an country/economy loses the market then its got a hard battle to fight, which it mainly fights with interest rates.

Just as well nothing like this has ever happened in the UK? A Rolls-Royce economy, cruising through the turbulent economic sea.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

interesting that commentators Ive been reading in the last few days say the Saudis refuse to turn the oil taps off. It is also interesting the Russians havent turned theirs off either...One would think they would if they were too concerned about the Ruble.

We appear to be in a war of the suits, Russia is aiming at the Western Banks which will blow up due to Margin calls (paid and unpaid more likely) on oil derivatives, while our side hope the collapse of the Ruble will be victory for us.

I think we have badly miscalculated....

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Bank Runs and food hoarding taking place as I type....

http://uk.businessinsider.com/price-inflation-in-russia-as-people-hoard-food-cash-2014-12?r=US

Going out on a limb an extreme action would be war - it serves to unite countries in times like these.

I understand that if OPEC drive oil to $50, Putin will have just one year of reserves left to fund the Russian State; there is going to be a lot of unhappy bears when they don't get paid.

The proverbial old Chinese "May you live in interesting times" curse springs to mind.............

A defacto war with Russia is already underway....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30289546

Why is Saudi Arabia using oil as a weapon?
Edited by geezer466

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

What's kind of interesting is as far as I can tell, that huge hike has made sod all difference to the exchange rates. They are continuing downwards.

If the rate hike was supposed to be a mighty show of force its failed dismally.

Has ramping up interest rates to this level ever stopped a currency from declining? The speculators clearly smell profit.

HOLA4417

Admittedly it's an extreme set of circumstances, but I wonder if a few UK people already maxed out on a 6x mortgage at 300 year low interest rates are starting to get a bit twitchy this morning?

Nah, probably not.

They'd have to be watching the news or reading a paper. Seems unlikely.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425