House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Papa Serf

I'd Like To Congratulate Myself And Banish The Demons

I’d like to congratulate myself for my exemplary driving this morning, despite coming under significate pressure from an ar5e hole in the car behind beeping his horn trying to make me squeeze through a tight gap and potentially blocking the road, I did not budge until it was safe to do so. Nor react.

I will not be influenced or intimidated by these sad pathetic bullying losers.

I now feel cleansed

Have you been driving in London again :)

I used to drive round Central London and still do sometimes, when I was younger, I didn't find it intimidating, but then I was rather, shall we say, sure of myself. A bit too much so, probably.

I don't find it intimidating now, but I don't exactly look forward to it.

I think anyone with a car up their chuff sounding his horn and waving his hands about intimidating, especially when he is totally irrational. A lot of nutters out there.

I do have a real problem with being told what to do by people that are wrong

Walking through a village facing oncoming traffic at the edge of the road as no pavements, 20 miles per hour zone...some idiot speeding through doing 30 odd, I was not the only pedestrian.... I look at them they look at me, they do not slow down, they rev the engine and speed up.....some people must have a big problem or problems.

I was in the cycle spot at some traffic lights on red once - and I felt a slight nudge. A BMW (yes, what a cliche) had gone into the back of me, and was driven by a huge guy was angrily gesticulating at me to get out of the way. I smiled and carefully drew the outline of a bicycle in air and then pointed downwards to my spot to remind him that I was perfectly within my rights. He continued his silent remonstrations, and I turned back to the front ignoring him completely.

As the lights went green, I moved off as slowly as I could while taking care to make sure he couldn't squeeze past for a good couple of minutes.

Thankfully, I'd judged correctly that he was a complete coward.

It was a satisfying and calming thing to do, and the beginning of my move towards becoming a zen cyclist.

I’d like to congratulate myself for my exemplary driving this morning, despite coming under significate pressure from an ar5e hole in the car behind beeping his horn trying to make me squeeze through a tight gap and potentially blocking the road, I did not budge until it was safe to do so. Nor react.

I will not be influenced or intimidated by these sad pathetic bullying losers.

I now feel cleansed

beta

beta

Not sure on your meaning but if its that .... oh I can't be ar5ed

Well…. I’ve looked up the definition of a Alpha and a Beta male (if that’s what you’re getting at) and I can categorically say I have been and will be showing tendencies to be either and neither in past and future situations but you’ll probably think that’s just like me, typical Aquarius.

Were my actions this morning one of an alpha or beta male. I just know he was a dick and I knew any form of communication with him would have just wound me up even further and so I’m patting myself on the back for biting my tongue and ignoring him.

If you step in poo there is no point getting up close and personal with it.

I hope that the gap really was too small to fit your car through, because people who don't know how wide their car is really wind me up. I reserve particular ire for people who burn me off from traffic lights and then slow to 2mph to get through 7' width restrictors. I drive a MkIII Mondeo estate which is hardly a narrow car and I'll quite happily stick it through a 7' restrictor at 30mph given a clear run-up.

I hope that the gap really was too small to fit your car through, because people who don't know how wide their car is really wind me up. I reserve particular ire for people who burn me off from traffic lights and then slow to 2mph to get through 7' width restrictors. I drive a MkIII Mondeo estate which is hardly a narrow car and I'll quite happily stick it through a 7' restrictor at 30mph given a clear run-up.

Yeah, I don't hang about, or take chances. Its a tight squeaze on a corner

Its also just after a primary school that is constantly grid locked because people just try to force their way through with no thought.

Width restrictor are taken at 30mph usually but thats safe as they don't suddenly move.

And the 6'6" restrictors?

Ironically named then.

Ha Ha! I have just been reminded of my "Special Edition, with real hair" inflatable Williams sisters! :blink:

Yeah, I don't hang about, or take chances. Its a tight squeaze on a corner

Its also just after a primary school that is constantly grid locked because people just try to force their way through with no thought.

Width restrictor are taken at 30mph usually but thats safe as they don't suddenly move.

O.K. fair enough then, failing to read the road ahead and charging into a potential gridlock situation is equally irritating!

And the 6'6" restrictors?

I don't think I've ever been through one, not sure there are any round here. But according to Wikipedia the Mondeo is 6' wide not including its mirrors, so I'd almost certainly be slow and careful through one of those- I can place the car very confidently to within 6 inches either side, 3 inches not so much. I'm a competent driver, not a stunt artist!

Once while driving an 8'6 wide bus at 28mph I had to pick my way through a gap between a car pulling out of a side road, and a car who thought they'd be able to turn in in front of me and then bottled it at the last minute. Can't have been more than 9' between them, it was a proper heart in mouth moment and I was frankly surprised to get through there without hearing bangs and scrapes! Buses are actually far easier to judge width in though, having completely flat sides.

A mate of mine at work tells the story of how when he was young and stupid he decided to do a 6'6 width restrictor with a long clear run-up in his Focus as fast as he could- reckons he had 80 on the speedo as he went through! :eek: He's my age (mid 30s) and he's not proud of it now! :lol:

I`ve got a Nissan Serena which is tall but narrow. (1.695 ?)

I often speed though narrow gaps......and then check in my mirrors to see if someone follows me.

I used to own a boat with a lift keel. I did not always resist the temptation to nip across Calshot Spit in 50 cm of depth when being followed by someone who should have been checking charts and depth more closely.