House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Pound Shops Have No Brand Image

Missed out on a3 for 2 offer in pound world

Went back to the till, no massive deal as it was only a quid difference, and asked them to fix my receipt and refund me the pound

To my amazement the supervisor said they couldn't contra it and I'd have to suck it up. Problem being that if they did anything their inventory would be down (?). So I just walked off and thought it's their reputation which is worth more than the pound they ripped off me. But then I thought I don't even know the difference between the various pound shop chains so do they really give a toss?

Went back to the till, no massive deal as it was only a quid difference, and asked them to fix my receipt and refund me the pound

To my amazement the supervisor said they couldn't contra it and I'd have to suck it up. Problem being that if they did anything their inventory would be down (?). So I just walked off and thought it's their reputation which is worth more than the pound they ripped off me. But then I thought I don't even know the difference between the various pound shop chains so do they really give a toss?

Ours would normally tell you at the till and make you go and get another item...

Although I don't know whether that's £world, £shop, £somethingsomething

There are many things in the pound shop I would not pay 50p for....a few things are worth paying £1.50 for......slective purchasing......the bottles and packaging are shrinking big time, much stuff can be bought elsewhere where you can get twice as much for 50p more.

There are many things in the pound shop I would not pay 50p for....a few things are worth paying £1.50 for......slective purchasing......the bottles and packaging are shrinking big time, much stuff can be bought elsewhere where you can get twice as much for 50p more.

Poundland are a bargain for Kodak branded alkaline batteries that win best value reviews consistently.

Poundland are a bargain for Kodak branded alkaline batteries that win best value reviews consistently.

Interesting. I googled a properly instrumented comparison of batteries, their actual energy content, which seemed to say all batteries are similar value and various major alkaline brands at pound shops do not measure up to higher spec versions ( with identifying names like ultra etc), having said that you identified the Kodak brand which I don't think were compared. You use them for your science?

Interesting. I googled a properly instrumented comparison of batteries, their actual energy content, which seemed to say all batteries are similar value and various major alkaline brands at pound shops do not measure up to higher spec versions ( with identifying names like ultra etc), having said that you identified the Kodak brand which I don't think were compared. You use them for your science?

On a price for power basis, and on cursory research, the Poundland Kodak Xtralife alkaline batteries are a good, easily obtainable, buy. The Ikea Alkalisk always seem to be the cheapest in any comparison. But I can walk to the Poundshop in 10 mins.

Just googled and here's a review

cpah_large_1000mA.png

Strand Europe, who distribute Kodak brand batteries, used to be big in blank CD/DVDs and associated cases/racks etc. I would think almost all their business was private label to large retailers. Moved into batteries in a big way when blank media went into decline.

I'm pretty sure Poundland is the biggest retail battery account, in any case, but I do know they do massive business on Kodak batteries.

I don't know for certain but, I don't think you could guarantee consistency of manufacture source across different pack sizes. At the end of the day it's just a licensed product like any other - might be alright to go in the remote of your Polaroid branded flatscreen TV.

In fairness plenty of big proprietary consumer brands do the same. Ikea will be better because they're not paying a distributor to get some random brand you've vaguely heard of on Hyundai, Memorex etc.

One thing to consider as well is the pound shops have much faster stock turn.

Having sold batteries, for years, cheap deals online, like ebay, have put a big dent in sales to a demographic a bit more computer savvy/organised than the average pound shop punter. TBH any genuine Duracell, even if manufactured in some funny place, for some funny export market will cream the pound/discount store for quality/value.

Yes their batteries are good especially the cell replacement batteries for watches and scales etc.

Also USB cable two metres for £1 excellent value.

Strand Europe, who distribute Kodak brand batteries, used to be big in blank CD/DVDs and associated cases/racks etc. I would think almost all their business was private label to large retailers. Moved into batteries in a big way when blank media went into decline.

I'm pretty sure Poundland is the biggest retail battery account, in any case, but I do know they do massive business on Kodak batteries.

I don't know for certain but, I don't think you could guarantee consistency of manufacture source across different pack sizes. At the end of the day it's just a licensed product like any other - might be alright to go in the remote of your Polaroid branded flatscreen TV.

In fairness plenty of big proprietary consumer brands do the same. Ikea will be better because they're not paying a distributor to get some random brand you've vaguely heard of on Hyundai, Memorex etc.

One thing to consider as well is the pound shops have much faster stock turn.

That is pretty much all I use them for, low power devices, and so long as you remember 'they are what they are'.

I still buy cheap zinc carbon batteries for some uses.

The stock turnover is another consideration to weigh up over buying in bulk to get a good price and then having them hanging around on the shelf.

Above all the store is 'handy'

How does that work then? They had it advertised at 3 for £2 on offer in the shop but then charged you three quid at the till? If so they're massively taking the mickey, Trading Standards would butthurt them for that. If it was an offer where you could have had three but only picked up two then they're not breaking the law, but they're taking the mick from a customer service perspective.

I once went into an independent but quite professional looking pound shop in Lewisham who I'd previously seen had USB PC keyboards for a quid. Back in the day the very cheapest keyboards used to be 80p on Ebuyer so that didn't seem unreasonable, and then my existing keyboard broke. Got it to the till and they told me it was a fiver! So I walked out and observed the big banners in their window: "Everything's a pound" etc. I should have taken that up with TS but couldn't be bothered in the end.

I used to work in retail and constantly had customers threatening us with trading standards if we wouldn't honour an obvious price mistake or whatever. So of course I got to know the regulations and learned that they are in fact entirely reasonable. That's why it really cheeses me off when people flout them!

Only took 2 of said items to the till misunderstanding the offer. After the transaction I realised my error and asked if I could get another.

I concluded rapidly that the supervisor was fick and it wasn't worth ruining my day explaining basic till reversals to her.

Only took 2 of said items to the till misunderstanding the offer. After the transaction I realised my error and asked if I could get another.

O.K. well just poor customer service then rather than outright fraud. Still I cannot fathom why they'd risk losing a customer for life rather than saying "sure no probs, grab the third". TBH if it was me I'd have been inclined to just take the third and if necessary argue it out with the security guard; but on the flip side I am scrupulously honest the other way. A couple of months ago I saw a rucksack in one of the discount supermarkets reduced from £19.99 to £9.99, and stuck it on my shoulder as my basket was full. I completely forgot about it as I put the rest of my stuff on the conveyor belt; the checkout girl didn't notice and it wasn't until I was unloading the rest of the shopping into the boot of my car that I noticed. I could simply have driven off but I walked back in, queued up for another 5 mins and paid for it.

O.K. well just poor customer service then rather than outright fraud. Still I cannot fathom why they'd risk losing a customer for life rather than saying "sure no probs, grab the third".

I just fathomed she was thick. She said I couldn't have another one since their inventory would be down. So I said reverse my previous transaction and put it through again on the offer. She said no even then the inventory would be out. I left.

I would like to never go there again but since I don't really know one pound shop from another that's unlikely.

It is correct it fooks up the inventory. Staff generally will be strongly discouraged from not scanning all 3 items in 3 for 2 offers as, with enough of it, there's a strong possibility it's misinterpreted as a genuine shrinkage problem.

Have had to completely remove any sort of 3 for 2 or BOGOF deals from online as, customers moaning they bought two, on a 3 for 2, and surprise, surprise, only received 2 and that some minimum wage distribution centre worker didn't know off the top of their head the product was on 3 for 2.

Mistake in the shop was explaining the situation with logic and reason. Should have just said 'my wife's just phoned and has already bought these two so can I get a refund'. Then just go back and buy 3 with the refund. Always play the refund card first as they won't want to do anything to help after you've infuriated them with your polite lah-di-dah middle class logic and reason.

Also staff don't really do nuance so if there's been a recent memo or area manager store visit stating 'all 3 for 2 must be scanned properly' you're on to a loser. Similarly if you send a memo saying they're giving too many refunds for unresaleable stuff that's not actually faulty they'll just automatically stop giving out any refunds at all.

Such a relief the robots are in sight now, frankly.

May be just £1, but they still get shoplifters ...

Pound-Shop-Is-Victim-To-Thief.jpg

Probably a tin foil hat wearing HPCer hoping to stay under the radar with an untraceable transaction while prepping for the econolypse. Poundland's fault as they don't take bitcoin yet. Cash is, of course, no good because everyone knows even pound coins have built in tracking devices.

...Cash is, of course, no good because everyone knows even pound coins have built in tracking devices.

All of my pound coins have a tracking device.

It's called Mrs XYY...!

:(

XYY

Probably a tin foil hat wearing HPCer hoping to stay under the radar with an untraceable transaction while prepping for the econolypse. Poundland's fault as they don't take bitcoin yet. Cash is, of course, no good because everyone knows even pound coins have built in tracking devices.

Visited one of the pound style stores...bought something for a pound, offered my debit card and was refused the sale......the minimum purchase to be made using a card is £3...costs them a high percentage of the pound to transact with plastic......no sale.