House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Leodhasach

Imflationary Pressure

Well, the cynic in me says that the "basket" of goods from which CPI is calculated is very much under GB's thumb - and therefore contains only DVD players, chinese powertools and CDs by people who came second in "X-Factor". But if it does still contain useful things such as postage and travel costs, who needs oil prices to drive them up???

post 1st class post up 6.6%

rail Scottish rail fares up 10% - which will undoubtedly set the standard for other operators in the UK

The posties are also demanding hefty wage increases.

Apparently the shops are having a better Christmas than we were lead to believe. I'm confident that IR cuts are already off the agenda due to the Fed and ECB - but is there just the sniff of a rise in March/April?? Am I fantasising B)

Take a look at the latest CPI release

Page 11 gives a break-down of categories in the CPI. Eg. rail transport annual inflation +4.3%.

Not sure where stamps come in - maybe "Other services" where annual inflation is +7.2%?

These don't have big weightings in the CPI though (see page 15)

I read somewhere recently that the cost of drugs/equipment charged to the NHS goes up at least 10% each and every year and not because they are ordering more!

If that isn't a conspiracy I don't know what is!

No wonder NHS authorities are all going into budget deficit and closing wards - that's the real 'hidden' reason!

Mr Hanbury etc will not be pleased about me mentioning that! Inform your MP NOW!

I read somewhere recently that the cost of drugs/equipment charged to the NHS goes up at least 10% each and every year and not because they are ordering more!

If that isn't a conspiracy I don't know what is!

A friend of mine lost his hearing a few years ago and had to have NHS hearing aids. He discovered just how poor the NHS was. Basically, despite digital aids coming out years ago the NHS was still handing out nalogue hearing aids and, worst, they were paying MORE money for analogue aids than digital ones when they bulk bought.

This allowed the firms who make the digital aids to charge prices to end customers here in the UK of SEVERAL THOUSAND POUNDS for a pair of digital hearing aids. The NHS simply did not use its clout as the biggest buyer of hearing aids to drive down the cost - simply, the people in charge were a bunch of tossers, IMPO, not up to the job and for years they kept buying out of date technology but paying prices as if they were buying the latest kit.

This resulted in people going over to France, Holland, the US, etc, and spending a lot of money themselves on buying their own digital hearing aids... but still cheaper than buying in the UK... Problem is, hearing aids need to be regularly 'tuned' and people who bought outside of the UK were finding that no one in the UK would then tune their aids X times a year.

Scandalous! Incompetence! A waste of our money! A blight on people's lives!

Yep, round here first busses have just anounced a 23% increase in there fares and thats after a 20% increase earlier this year and they were already bloody expensive to begin with. At this rate it wont be long before getting a taxi is cheaper than the bus. I'm just glad I never use the bus anyway.

Edited by 50:50