HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger. Two of the greatest film-makers ever.

Despite being born thirty years after it was made, I think I could quite happily watch A Canterbury Tale on infinite loop for the rest of eternity. Is there a word for the kind of nostalgia you can get for times and places you never knew? If not then I will have to invent one.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Despite being born thirty years after it was made, I think I could quite happily watch A Canterbury Tale on infinite loop for the rest of eternity. Is there a word for the kind of nostalgia you can get for times and places you never knew? If not then I will have to invent one.

It's golden age romanticism. I'm not sure if there's a single word for it. If we were German we could jam all three together.

I'm also an 'Archers' fan and the affable actors/ characters they cast in their films. I have a nagging suspicion they were tripping on something when they made them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Yep, I`ve seen that many times, I`m not due to what that until next june (I try to keep a gap)

How about "the way ahead" ?

'The Way Ahead' is considered a pivotal UK WW2 film. I was just about to post about it because, like 'Millions Like Us' it was a British war film that depicted ordinary British people - the working class - fighting the war and their lives during the war.

By the time that 'The Way Ahead' was made British audiences were getting fed up with films that basically only depicted a bunch of public school upper class toffs fighting the war.

One of my big interests is the affect that Cinema had in WW2 - both on the Allied side and on the German side. Hollywood played a huge part in getting Americans on the British side even prior to Pearl Harbour. This was partly due to the dominance of Jewish Americans in Hollywood and also to the volume of British actors, writers, etc, who had already made it big in Hollywod. Cary Grant, for example, wanted to return to the UK to join up but the British Government decided that he was of more importance in Hollywood.

If you ever get a chance to read about the history of Cinema in WW2 it is fascinating. It is also fascinating how the films of people like Pressburger & Powell helped to make people in the UK aware that, unlike after WW1, when the war was won that things needed to change and that the people needed a government of the people. 'The Way Ahead' has some interesting things to say about that.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

'The Way Ahead' is considered a pivotal UK WW2 film. I was just about to post about it because, like 'Millions Like Us' it was a British war film that depicted ordinary British people - the working class - fighting the war and their lives during the war.

By the time that 'The Way Ahead' was made British audiences were getting fed up with films that basically only depicted a bunch of public school upper class toffs fighting the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0sbhWsEqGE

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Themroc. (1973)

Was the first movie shown in C4s 'red triangle' series. The increased viewing figures for these adult content films did a good job in quieting the Mary Whitehouse brigade.

I've seen it about 5 times and still don't understand the ending. btw there is no dialogue so subs not needed.

Movie starts at 30 secs.

Archived