House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Moving To Norway?

I was offered a job in Norway a couple of years back. I did a lot of research and ended up passing because apparently it's a very difficult country to integrate into.

I was very surprised to learn that a GP appointment in Norway costs £20, private school fees are capped at £2k and there isn't much of a salary difference between the lowest and highest paid state workers. Interesting country.

I keep being offered IT contracts there but, because it is so expensive to live there, the money is actually not good after you have taken into account the costs you would have as a self-employed person. Oddly enough, if they were offering the same as a permanent salary and you were prepared to make a commitment to living there then it would be perhaps worthwhile.

They culture is both different and yet somewhat similar to the UK. Norway has benefitted from a small population and enormous oil reserves - win win. They need to spend more money on defence though - i.e. they complain about the Americans and don't want NATIO forces permanently stationed in Norway... but keep quite about the enormous US Marine Expeditionary Forces underground bases equipped with enough kit for 20,000 men. In other words, they can be politically correct left-wingers about the military yet they know that the Yanks are ready to come and protect Norway if the Russians decide to go on an away day.

Bergen has one of the highest amounts of daily rainfall in the world. Rains almost every day or something like that.

Norweigan women are gorgeous.

Hasn't it made enough dosh from its oil reserves, that it could pay each of its residents a £1 million pounds?

No. I think it's more like about 65k.

Norway will go through a recession with the oil price. Salaries are higher, but the cost of living is higher too.

People are generally friendly, but reserved IMO and nowhere near as exuberant as Aussies or Americans (IMO a good thing). My guess is language is the greatest barrier to integration. It's probably made worse by the fact most people can speak english, so you have to try harder to learn the language for social interaction.

People are generally friendly, but reserved IMO and nowhere near as exuberant as Aussies or Americans (IMO a good thing). My guess is language is the greatest barrier to integration. It's probably made worse by the fact most people can speak english, so you have to try harder to learn the language for social interaction.

Part of the culture is that it is considered wrong to boast or show-off - complete opposite to most Brits. Tellig everyone about your house price or new car would be looked down upon in Norway.

Part of the culture is that it is considered wrong to boast or show-off - complete opposite to most Brits. Tellig everyone about your house price or new car would be looked down upon in Norway.

Really? That's absolutely not what I was led to believe. They're a very materialistic nation and spending on credit is actively encouraged and culturally ingrained.

I was thinking of buying a small nightclub in Lillehamer and employing the local neo-nazi hells angel's chapter to provide security using my witness protection money I got in the Fred Goodwin trial.

Really? That's absolutely not what I was led to believe. They're a very materialistic nation and spending on credit is actively encouraged and culturally ingrained.

Maybe we both were lied to?

I was thinking of buying a small nightclub in Lillehamer and employing the local neo-nazi hells angel's chapter to provide security using my witness protection money I got in the Fred Goodwin trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemark_Battalion

Since the summer of 2009, there have been several instances of soldiers from the unit spray painting a Punisher skull (in part inspired[5] by the character from comic books and movie – the Punisher) on houses and property belonging to Afghans whom soldiers suspected of having ties to the insurgency. The purported purpose was to "send a message",[6] to leaders of the insurgency, that the Norwegian soldiers would not allow them to continue their offensive.

In September 2010, Verdens Gang reported that some soldiers were still using a Punisher skull that had been prohibited by the leadership of Norway's military.[7]

that has probably changed. Norwegians have become qiyute disliked in sweden because the norrbaggar travel there being all loud, buy cheap booze and behave like berks.(in expensive caravans and cars :))

that has probably changed. Norwegians have become qiyute disliked in sweden because the norrbaggar travel there being all loud, buy cheap booze and behave like berks.

I have a very good Swedish friend and I've heard her have a go about the Norwegians more than once. Most memorable was that awful case where a woman on a cruise ship became ill, and the Norwegian rescue crew managed to drop her over the side into icy water - she later died.

My friend's comment: 'Well, that's the Norwegians for you - you just can't trust them.'

In the circs I really shouldn't have cracked up, but I did.

I went to Norway once, a few times! Everything was shut, like Germany!