House Price Crash Forum
spyguy

Suprise Stamp Duty Saving!

I'm not posting the link as I think the people involved are victims. Idiot victims sure, but victims all the same.

'Xmas comes early for young couple as they save 4,500 from stamp duty changes etc etc.'

Mr Dork - 'Its incredible, we are blown away.'

Found the house of their dreams .... 275K!!!!

This is ~13 times the median average wage.

'big issue had been stamp duty at three per cent, an eyewatering £8,250.'

'lot of help from family' So, its not just these two who are going down then.

So the house at 275K is OK then????

WTF this house was for sale at 275K FFS.

WIFS they bought it is another thing.

I would guess this most be a pre-MMR mortgage as there's no way this would go through now.

Both Charity workers. I googled him and found a recent, desperate letter begging for more money 'or the group would fold'. So secure income then.

Mr Dork is 30.

Mrs Dork is 28.

I'm sure both have realise that they will have to carry working for the next 20 year, no kids or anything, no IR rises.

Now the couple will donate some of the surprise savings to charity, before squirreling away the rest for a rain day.

Hmmmm ?

Stamp duty saving.. 'It was just surreal. We couldn’t believe it. It felt like Christmas had come early.'

had looked at 30 to 40 houses before finding “the house of our dreams” in Paul’s Dene Crescent for £275,000.“We had a lot of help from our families and really stretched ourselves to the upper limit,” said Alex. “We never expected to buy anything for that amount.”

Victims of what exactly? Year after year, decade after decade, always with hpi-forever parents and family.

Need to follow this one up. I'm expecting January update to be something like "Mr and Mrs Dork gutted as dream house purchase shattered by seller upping price by £4,500 to £279,500 at last moment. Mr Dork said 'if only the banks would lend us the difference we could start our lives again'. Mrs Dork said 'we're desperate now as our mortgage offer only lasts to the end of the month and the bank has said with MMR we will only be offered enough to buy a house at £150,000 if we reapply.'"

Edited by ElPapasito

It's been done up a bit since it was bought in 2005 for £229,500 - but still incredible sums (imo) then - lot of people believe the more they pay means the more they are worth.

Edit: correct link: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=8187248&sale=31192655&country=england

Edited by Venger

"really stretched ourselves to the upper limit"

Guess they've got their fingers crossed hoping we don't get an interest rate rise in the coming months / years!

So ...

Stamp Duty gains encourage people to pay more for property.

Stamp Duty losses encourage people to pay less.

Stamp Duty gains are aimed at the middle to lower end of the market.

Stamp Duty losses are aimed at the upper end of the market.

Buyers with moderate incomes are paying more for their property.

Buyers with higher incomes are paying less.

Was that what they meant to happen?

I'm not posting the link as I think the people involved are victims. Idiot victims sure, but victims all the same.

'Xmas comes early for young couple as they save 4,500 from stamp duty changes etc etc.'

Mr Dork - 'Its incredible, we are blown away.'

Found the house of their dreams .... 275K!!!!

This is ~13 times the median average wage.

'big issue had been stamp duty at three per cent, an eyewatering £8,250.'

'lot of help from family' So, its not just these two who are going down then.

So the house at 275K is OK then????

WTF this house was for sale at 275K FFS.

WIFS they bought it is another thing.

I would guess this most be a pre-MMR mortgage as there's no way this would go through now.

Both Charity workers. I googled him and found a recent, desperate letter begging for more money 'or the group would fold'. So secure income then.

Mr Dork is 30.

Mrs Dork is 28.

I'm sure both have realise that they will have to carry working for the next 20 year, no kids or anything, no IR rises.

Sold at £275K http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=32407665&sale=53151353&country=england

My family and friends are victims... renting for years, saving... well-paid professionals finding others outbid them year after year by ever crazier serious amounts of money/debt... including charity-workers.

I'll listen to it when house prices, you know, actually fall hard in value... then post how sad I am for the owners/buyers - so sad, too bad.

I notice there are two homes on market now in that postcode, both asking way over £300,000, with one Sold STC.

rs_560x415-131104124556-1024.theres-some

:D

Sold at £275K http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=32407665&sale=53151353&country=england

My family and friends are victims... renting for years, saving... well-paid professionals finding others outbid them year after year by ever crazier serious amounts of money/debt... including charity-workers.

I'll listen to it when house prices, you know, actually fall hard in value... then post how sad I am for the owners/buyers - so sad, too bad.

I notice there are two homes on market now in that postcode, both asking way over £300,000, with one Sold STC.

:D

isn't their home a three bed mid-terrace?

isn't their home a three bed mid-terrace?

I was ready to concede that point, hoping that accounted for the difference with the asking prices (and one Sold STC at much higher asking price), until I checked again...

They all appear to be semi-detached, including theirs, which has benefit of an extension whereas others have lean to car-point.

Mr Dork is 30.

Mrs Dork is 28.

So seven years ago, they were 23/24 yrs and 21/22 years in early 2008... seven years ago, when I was on HPC hoping for HPC... and so much financially better positioned for HPC than I am today (having saved into bubble 1.0... but still renting, savings attrition + now house prices way way in 2015).

It's just a bit very bad Twilight Zone... when I want HPC, still regulary reading on HPC about buyers being 'victims' paying prices for type of houses I recoil from. My own family members crushed by the reflation and buying actions of others too. When I want all the HPI overstretchers to meet changed circumstances, all the thrilled HPI parent-HPI-backslappers to harvest their own organs to raise money into hard HPC.

Then again reading that Aunty thread again, 21 year old Scouts now getting the "media to blame and without HPI they'd have great jobs for society' as they happily choose to buy houses to HUTM-style do up (with help of a parent) in hope of flip and HPI profits, towards buying 2 more houses (one each).