House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChumpusRex

Multipoint Locking Problem

The multi-point locking mechanism in my uPVC front door has gone a bit wonky, in that it won't unlock and I can't open the door.

It was a bit funny this morning, and wouldn't close and lock, but after a bit of forcing I got it closed and locked. This evening, I opened it, closed it, and now it won't open again. The lock barrel will turn, but not all the way; regardless, the lock barrel isn't locked.

The problem seems to be the top and bottom gripper things won't retract when I push the door handle.

Any idea how much of a problem this will be to fix? I'll speak to the LL tomorrow, but I'm thinking this might not be an easy fix, and might require several visits and lots of parts. I would imagine that even a good locksmith might have a problem with this, as they won't be able to get to the screws and mechanism on the edge of the door, and may need to resort to drilling.

Probably be more likely the euro cylinder is farked rather than the door mechanism. If the lock has actually worked and released them you might be able to pull the top and bottom interlock bits down with a flexible plastic strip.

No. The Euro cylinder is fine. It turns fine, and starts to move the multipoint mechanism, but then won't go any further. It is only a single ended cylinder - it just has a thumb wheel on the inside, so it will turn freely anyway.

I've tried to move the interlock bits but they seem to be locked in position - as even using a piece of sheet steel and a hammer, I can't budge them.

Not sure if what you're describing is the same as happened to me last year. Lock basically fell apart.

I made an emergency call next door, who happens to be an employee of the agent(!) She fixed it up

to permalock that evening, so I had to use the back door. Next day she fixed up new parts and a new key from spares which - as an agent - she routinely carries around.

No. The Euro cylinder is fine. It turns fine, and starts to move the multipoint mechanism, but then won't go any further. It is only a single ended cylinder - it just has a thumb wheel on the inside, so it will turn freely anyway.

I've tried to move the interlock bits but they seem to be locked in position - as even using a piece of sheet steel and a hammer, I can't budge them.

TBH that wouldn't make me think it's definitely not the cylinder. They go all the time on shop doors, and similar, and it's invariably the cylinder rather than the internal mechanism. Always keep spares and instructions to fit ( 5 second job with a screwdriver) as was constantly causing a massive spend on locksmiths.

This technique will get the cylinder out and even if it still is the internal mechanism you may then be able to able more force to release it.

The multi-point locking mechanism in my uPVC front door has gone a bit wonky, in that it won't unlock and I can't open the door.

It was a bit funny this morning, and wouldn't close and lock, but after a bit of forcing I got it closed and locked. This evening, I opened it, closed it, and now it won't open again. The lock barrel will turn, but not all the way; regardless, the lock barrel isn't locked.

The problem seems to be the top and bottom gripper things won't retract when I push the door handle.

Any idea how much of a problem this will be to fix? I'll speak to the LL tomorrow, but I'm thinking this might not be an easy fix, and might require several visits and lots of parts. I would imagine that even a good locksmith might have a problem with this, as they won't be able to get to the screws and mechanism on the edge of the door, and may need to resort to drilling.

Simply phone the landlord :lol:

one of our doors just started to sit wrong...called LL and his man adjusted some screws all over the thing.

one of our doors just started to sit wrong...called LL and his man adjusted some screws all over the thing.

Yep.. can't offer any advice on doors, but we had it with a window in a rented flat and the landlord's odd job man came over and explained that it had just moved on it's hinges and was catching. He re-positioned it with a screwdriver and it worked great after that.

No idea what you would do if you couldn't get at the screws though.. :ph34r:

We had a similar issue. Had to call a locksmith to get the door open. The fault was a broken component in the gear box, nothing to do with the lock barrel (euro cylinder) itself. He had a replacement gear box in his van but he wanted £100 for it. I got a replacement from a local locksmith's shop for £30. It was very easy to fit.