House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arpeggio

Online Reviews Vs Evidence Of Expertise

It's just research, if anyone is worried don't fill it in. Based on what I think might be mcbeth79's concern, If you're a lurker here with no posting activity the only thing I could possibly be offended at is your answers on the non-controversial survey, which isn't likely.

Interesting questions, are you going to publish results?

Yes certainly. It may be a while so that in the meantime the responses are individual and nobody is influenced by the others results.

Yes certainly. It may be a while so that in the meantime the responses are individual and nobody is influenced by the others results.

Why bother?

Your sampling precludes any meaningful inferences being drawn from your results. At least, anything more meaningful than you'd get from reading through a thread here on grumpygits.

Presumably the results will be split between those who wish to learn from a master, no matter how poor his communication skills, and those who want a great pedagogue and dont much care if their teacher is a superstar performer.

Presumably the results will be split between those who wish to learn from a master, no matter how poor his communication skills, and those who want a great pedagogue and dont much care if their teacher is a superstar performer.

There could be all kinds of reasoning including yours, and I’m sure there are various types of reasoning going on in people’s heads when they answer.

"Both would apply equally"

Perhaps it depends on your level of proficiency.

If you're a complete novice, you might be more reassured by reviews from other novices that showed how they got up to speed with the book. You'd probably assume the author knew what they were talking about.

At a more advanced level, you might even know who the author is and be reassured by that.

Just because someone is highly skilled at something doesn't necessarily mean that they're capable of imparting teaching to others successfully- lots of IT books fall into that category.

"Both would apply equally"

Perhaps it depends on your level of proficiency.

If you're a complete novice, you might be more reassured by reviews from other novices that showed how they got up to speed with the book. You'd probably assume the author knew what they were talking about.

At a more advanced level, you might even know who the author is and be reassured by that.

Just because someone is highly skilled at something doesn't necessarily mean that they're capable of imparting teaching to others successfully- lots of IT books fall into that category.

All good points, there are probably variables that the can't be specifically address without adding many more questions.

Someone may prefer a teacher to be qualified / experienced / skilled at what they are teaching as a prerequisite, or bolster, to peer assurance of their ability to teach, without which would need to be assumed through the qualification of the peers judgement.

That in itself may vary dependent on the complexity of the subject. With something like IT I would imagine that consumers would be generally more specifically knowledgeable and educated to make such a judgement, as opposed to something more mass market in which the consumers may be more laymen. Having built and upgraded my own PC's in the past I'm no pro but feel this way when reading customer reviews of computer parts for example.

I was wondering if anyone might know of anywhere else that might be worth posting this survey? If you do please tell me (you can PM if you like) and I can check it out. If you don't know anywhere that's OK, it was worth asking.

On an IT forum in the "books" section.

Clearly, IT doesn't relate to playing guitars.

It is however a highly technical area where knowledge transfer and training really need tailoring to the individual because people learn differently.

Same for anything, but some of the concepts are quite difficult to cram into a single chapter of a book to give sufficient "value" and the learner could be at one of any number of levels.

Though to be fair I think that you'd get the same result in almost anything, except perhaps "how to be a celebrity" where the author's stature and prominence probably matters much more given that the mark of celebrity is indeed prominence.