House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sancho Panza

Costa Coffee Sales Continue To Climb

Yahoo/Sky News 11/12/14

'The owner of the Costa coffee chain has seen its total sales rise by 17% in the last quarter.

Whitbread (LSE: WTB.L - news) said in addition to total sales rising by almost a fifth, UK like-for-like revenue was up 5.2%.

The company added that it now remains confident of delivering full-year results in line with expectations.

The owner of the Premier Inns said it also saw good growth in the hotel chain division.

It said Premier Inns total sales were up by 15.4% and like-for-like up 8.5%.

The chain has been conducting a heavy rotation advertising campaign for its hotels in recent months.

The revenue per available room metric was up 8.6% in the period and occupancy was up two percentage points, to almost 85%.

Costa has seen rapid growth in recent years, in part because of a backlash against key rival Starbucks, over the US multinational's tax arrangements.

Protests erupted at Starbucks outlets in 2012 after it was revealed that despite operating in Britain for more than a decade it rarely made a profit.

Costa has also expanded globally and now employs more than 10,000 in 29 countries, operating around 5,000 outlets of varying size.

The company continues to roast its beans in Lambeth, central London, in premises used for the last 40 years.

It has also expanded its self-service outlets rapidly across the UK and now has them fitted in more than 2,700 locations.'

I think Costa is some sort of scam to relive half wits of their redundancy money.

There's one setup in the private girls school where my kids go swimming.

If you see the place as short term office hire or meeting place, the prices aren't that bad. Can I have 60 -70 minutes desk hire with free wifi internet usage? Certainly sir/Madam that'll be 2.60 per person. Oh, and we'll include a coffee with that too.

Getting a cheap cup of coffee on the high street now is getting pretty near impossible. The big coffee chains are now taking over the supermarket cafes, and even department stores like BHS.

Wetherspoons sell coffee.

Blue Mountain from the Clifton Estate is my favourite, but it is about £30.00 for a 250g tin.

Many regard Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee as the best coffee in the world and the Champagne of Coffees. It is sweet-toned, soft and has a delicate aroma with orange, floral and pungently buttery note ...

http://www.seaislandcoffee.com/jamaica-blue-mountain-coffee-clifton-estate

Edited by Errol

Time for a coffee tax?

exactly what I was getting at. It will come. I'm 50 year time coffee will be 80 tax and young people will be turning to beer.

The price of a coffee now is a joke. as the man above says whetherspoons do a surprisingly nice cup for around a quid.

whethersspoons is okay.

Guest eight

The top two topics when I came on here were "Costa sales rising" and "Britain living beyond its means". I had to laugh.

Guest eight

Pret do a nice 99p filter coffee which tastes better than their £2 plus frothy cappucino/latte et al nonsense.

I'm quite happy with a spoonful of instant. I think most people would be if they hadn't been led to believe it made them into some kind of Phyllis Tyne.

The top two topics when I came on here were "Costa sales rising" and "Britain living beyond its means". I had to laugh.

Me too.

On related tack, an ex colleague who is constantly bewailing how hard up she is told another ex colleague that she has her (fake) nails done every month for £30. She added that this was something she could not possibly do without.

As it's profiting from the starbucks tax backlash how much tax is Whitbreads paying?

Whitbread pays UK tax in full. When the Starbucks story was new, Costa was the big contrast to them.

Whitbread seems to be pretty canny as a big corporation. Those of us over thirtysomething will recollect they were a brewery and pubco in our youth. But they saw the writing on the wall, and moved from beer to coffee in about 2001/2002.

It said Premier Inns total sales were up by 15.4% and like-for-like up 8.5%.

Are you surprised? They offer a very good package: a decent, reliable room at a relatively-decent price. The deal Travelodge once appeared to offer before crumbling into a fleapit.

We badly need someone to do for rental flats what Premier does for hotels. A name that says a reliable deal at a moderate price.

Stayed at a Premier Inn recently. Whitbred have a nice little number going with the attached Beefeater Grill serving Costa coffee. Good night's sleep too. No power sockets anywhere near the bed though, which seemed a bit of an oversight.