House Price Crash Forum

Nearly 50% Take Prescription Drugs

interestrateripoff

HOLA441
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

No money in killing or curing your customer.

Do you think they know the cure for cancer but wont put it out there as cancer is meant to be a fungus and if caught in the early stages it can be healed with bicarb of soda.

The cancer charities make far to much money so they ignore the natural cure.

I have heard this alot now, i dont know what to think about it. The above is not my opinion, just what i have heard.

HOLA443

Do you think they know the cure for cancer but wont put it out there as cancer is meant to be a fungus and if caught in the early stages it can be healed with bicarb of soda.

The cancer charities make far to much money so they ignore the natural cure.

I have heard this alot now, i dont know what to think about it. The above is not my opinion, just what i have heard.

Have no idea.....but I do feel doctors are often over prescribing and not reviewing as much as they could do...not an easy job.

HOLA444

What are statins for? Do they reduce your colesterol, or do they correct the underlying problem? What if elevated cholesterol is your body's way of mitigating the harm done by the underlying problem - how would just reducing the cholesterol help? Might it be harmful?

HOLA445
HOLA446

There's a bounty now for diagnosing dementia as well as a few other things

http://

theday.co.uk/health/fury-at-gps-bounty-for-dementia-diagnosis

It's getting more and more like the bounty hunters and the fugitives and apparently they keep amending the criteria for diagnosis to capture more and more people within the medical guidelines.

http://

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_hunter

e248.jpg

HOLA447

What are statins for? Do they reduce your colesterol, or do they correct the underlying problem? What if elevated cholesterol is your body's way of mitigating the harm done by the underlying problem - how would just reducing the cholesterol help? Might it be harmful?

Statins are drugs to reduce cholesterol in the blood. They work by preventing the body from making its own cholesterol, so the body tissues scavenge the cholesterol from the blood.

The main cause of heart disease and strokes is atherosclerosis ("furring" of the arteries). In this condition, cholesterol gets deposited on the internal surface of arteries, and causes them to narrow, and eventually get blocked, resulting in the organ being supplied being starved of blood and injured by the lack of blood flow.

Reducing the cholesterol slows the progression of atherosclerosis. It may even reverse it. Statins do significantly reduce the cholesterol in the blood, and they do seem to significantly reduce the rate of 2nd heart attacks/strokes in people who have already had one. This seems to be the case, whatever the blood cholesterol level.

Current recommendations suggest that the risk of heart attack/stroke can be reduced by about 25% by taking a statin. The catch is that the benefit is dependent on the risk, in the first place. Someone who has already got artery disease and had a heart attack is at high risk, and has a lot to gain. Someone fit and well may be at low risk, and therefore have little to gain.

So for example, someone who has already had a heart attack, may have a risk of 10% of having another heart attack in the next 5 years. With a statin, that is reduced to about 7.5%. From a population perspective, out of a population of 1000 people, 25 heart attacks are prevented, or about 1 in 40 patients are saved from a 2nd heart attack. The numbers don't look anything like as good, if someone only has a 1% risk of heart attack in the next 10 years.

In this latter group, the side effects become a more significant consideration - and statins do have significant side effects. Some recent studies have suggested that they have historically been underestimated - but severe tiredness, muscle aches and pains are common.

The decision to start statins therefore needs to be based on determining the baseline risk of heart attack/stroke, and ideally, treating any aggravating problems first.

HOLA448

Give up smoking, exercise, have non materialistic hobbies, eat fresh food, not processed junk, limit alcohol consumption. Etc

They feed us crap in the supermarkets, and make us scared, depressed in the media we get unhealthy, we have to take drugs.

HOLA449

The power of drug companies to buy influence over every key group in health care—doctors, charities, patient groups, journalists, politicians—has clearly shocked a UK parliamentary committee (p 855). It should shock us all. Can we console ourselves that companies' lavish spending on research and marketing, which far outstrips spending on independent research and drug information, leads to truly innovative treatments? No, says the committee's report. Can we rely on regulatory bodies to keep the industry in check? No, again.

What we can rely on, says Slattery-Moschkau, a former drug rep and creator of a hard hitting new film on the industry (p 911), is that drug reps are “armed and dangerous,” selected for their ability to seduce and persuade rather than their scientific skills, and armed with, among other things, details of your prescribing behaviour.

http://www.bmj.com/content/330/7496/0.8.full

HOLA4410

I would urge you to read "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Uwe Ravnskov, a medical researcher and GP in Denmark who has made an extensive study. The link between cholesterol and atherosclerosis is rather more tenuous than you might think.

If your fish tank overflowed, you probably wouldn't be surprised to find gravel on your floor. Our veins are full of cholesterol, so it's not a surprise to find it in atherosclerosis.

And those with the highest cholesterol levels are apparently the least likely to have a fatal heart attack, although they may be at higher risk in the first place.

Cholesterol is not some bogey man. It is a natural part of our body's defence and repair mechanism. If medical science could invent a drug that reduces our cholesterol by half, we would die.

My mother took statins for 5 years and I watched her get worse with all sorts of side effects. Then I read Ravnskovs book and talked her off them. She now eats saturated fat like it's going out of fashion (I believe her heart problems were caused by decades of margarine) and her doctor says she has the heart of a 50 year old. She's 75.

HOLA4411

I would urge you to read "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Uwe Ravnskov, a medical researcher and GP in Denmark who has made an extensive study. The link between cholesterol and atherosclerosis is rather more tenuous than you might think.

If your fish tank overflowed, you probably wouldn't be surprised to find gravel on your floor. Our veins are full of cholesterol, so it's not a surprise to find it in atherosclerosis.

And those with the highest cholesterol levels are apparently the least likely to have a fatal heart attack, although they may be at higher risk in the first place.

Cholesterol is not some bogey man. It is a natural part of our body's defence and repair mechanism. If medical science could invent a drug that reduces our cholesterol by half, we would die.

My mother took statins for 5 years and I watched her get worse with all sorts of side effects. Then I read Ravnskovs book and talked her off them. She now eats saturated fat like it's going out of fashion (I believe her heart problems were caused by decades of margarine) and her doctor says she has the heart of a 50 year old. She's 75.

This.

Cholesterol is extremely protective, especially if you value your brain which is a ball of cholesterol and water. With heart disease its not so much cholesterol that is the bogeyman but the lipo proteins that transport it around the body, and there has to inflamation for them to be able to fly tip the cholesterol there causing blockages .

Anyway I'm not a Doctor and would urge you to do your own research.

HOLA4412

Should I be on statins?

I'm several years older than my dad was when he had a big heart attack that would've killed him if he'd been alone with noone to ring the ambulance. He recovered, and 40 years (of pills and low-cholesterol diet) later is very well for his age.

I don't know whether you should be on statins. Perhaps you should ask your GP to measure your cholesterol levels.

In any case, I'll take numerous properly conducted scientific trials over any theories, most of which are crackpot.

HOLA4413

What do they do with pipes and sewers choked up with fatty deposits ? Use pressure to blast it through. I imagine regular intense exercise may do just exactly the same for our arteries.

Keeps things ticking over - so to speak.

But hey what would I know - not a doctor or scientist being funded by who knows what.

HOLA4414

I don't know whether you should be on statins. Perhaps you should ask your GP to measure your cholesterol levels.

In any case, I'll take numerous properly conducted scientific trials over any theories, most of which are crackpot.

Especially the scientific trials conducted by the statins drugs companies!

HOLA4415

What do they do with pipes and sewers choked up with fatty deposits ? Use pressure to blast it through. I imagine regular intense exercise may do just exactly the same for our arteries.

Keeps things ticking over - so to speak.

But hey what would I know - not a doctor or scientist being funded by who knows what.

That is just nonsense I'm afraid

HOLA4416

Yep, get a water distiller and drink purified water instead. I've got one and there's brown stuff left behind after each distillation cycle - if people could see that a lot more people would be put off of tap water.

Hmmm - I wonder what that brown stuff is. I suspect a mix of iron, calcium, magnesium, sodium and pottasium

HOLA4417

In this latter group, the side effects become a more significant consideration - and statins do have significant side effects. Some recent studies have suggested that they have historically been underestimated - but severe tiredness, muscle aches and pains are common.

Is there such a thing as "muscle aches and pains"? I thought pain was the body's way of telling you there is a problem. Surely the problem is some kind of underlying tissue damage; the pain the manifestation of that?

HOLA4418

I had a grandmother who loved meat fat - she actually preferred it to the lean. I hated fat as a child (still do) and she would say 'I'll have that,' when I cut it off mine, and eat it with relish. She was never overweight and lived to be 89.

HOLA4419

Is there such a thing as "muscle aches and pains"? I thought pain was the body's way of telling you there is a problem. Surely the problem is some kind of underlying tissue damage; the pain the manifestation of that?

There probably is some sort of underlying muscle function alteration as the cause.

A rare side effect of statins is muscle inflammation and damage. However, vague pain without any other objective muscle abnormality is common.

It us not fully known whether these are varying severity of the same thing, or whether they are different processes or why some people get muscle damage and some do not.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

That is just nonsense I'm afraid

Is it ? I have seen programmes on TV with folk that do this for a living in blocked up pipes in houses /business etc.. - and this is exactly what they do.

Unless I missed something !!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yes I've seen shows on TV that equate saturated fat oozing around the blood stream with fat from Takeaways oozing around London's sewage system (causing a blockage), but the two things are not even remotely comparable!

It was a very high level comparison.

If you have tubes that are blocked up - by whatever means - regular high pressure is going to help clear them.

Would you argue with that basic logic ? And if so why ?!

When you exercise your blood pressure rises. Who knows - maybe nature is pretty smart and knows exactly what its doing .

Exercise makes your blood pressure rise in the short term - but drop in the long term.

HOLA4424

Depression (which I have suffered and been medicated for in earlier life) and Anxiety Disorder (likewise my fiance) are only partly mental conditions in my view - there is a cultural element as well.

We live in a culture that seeks to create a sense of disatisfaction and insecurity in order to create consumption - not only is that part of the reason so many become dialled in to constant consumption of drugs to control anxiety and depression, it is at least partially responsible for causing the underlying conditions IMO

HOLA4425

I wonder how many of them actually take or use them all. I know I have mentioned before the friend of ours who had 60 odd prescription items stockpiled in his bathroom. They were gone last time we visited - another friend who was an ex nurse made him chuck them all out.

I doubt very much that he's the only one.

That's the sort of thing that will happen when they give them away for free:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/free-or-reduced-cost-prescriptions

Archived