House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Winkie Revealed In Real Life

Here she is!

0BEB3F2700000578-0-image-a-1_14180350593

Speaking at the launch of the report, the Conservative peer - who is married to Conservative MP Bernard Jenkin - said hunger stemmed in part from the disappearance of the knowledge needed to create cheap and nourishing meals.

"We have lost our cooking skills," she said. "Poor people don't know how to cook.

"I had a large bowl of porridge today, which cost 4p. A large bowl of sugary cereals will cost you 25p."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30379431

It was badly expressed. Maybe it would've been too wordy to say "Noone should go hungry. You can eat very well on the dole or on minimum wage if you can cook, and have enough left to enjoy a lifestyle beyond the means of the majority a couple of generations ago."

Cooking helps even more if you have a lot less than the dole or minimum wage, as was my situation in 2002-3[1,2]. Dunno how widespread that is today.

[1] And a couple of years earlier, but savings (my would-be house deposit) sustained me.

[2] And 2004, but my income was rising, and with more than half the dole I felt positively rich by comparison.

It was badly expressed. Maybe it would've been too wordy to say "Noone should go hungry. You can eat very well on the dole or on minimum wage if you can cook, and have enough left to enjoy a lifestyle beyond the means of the majority a couple of generations ago."

Cooking helps even more if you have a lot less than the dole or minimum wage, as was my situation in 2002-3[1,2]. Dunno how widespread that is today.

[1] And a couple of years earlier, but savings (my would-be house deposit) sustained me.

[2] And 2004, but my income was rising, and with more than half the dole I felt positively rich by comparison.

Personally I actually find this sort of stuff insulting. Look, she has saved 21p on her breakfast. Big deal.

People are not, in general, stupid. They see their money pouring out on sky high rent costs and extortionate levels of council tax for getting your bin emptied twice a week if your'e lucky, gas and electricity bills keep going up, so once you've seen the flood of money go out on stuff that you cannot control you're unlikely to be that bothered about paying an extra 21p for your breakfast.

Personally I actually find this sort of stuff insulting. Look, she has saved 21p on her breakfast. Big deal.

People are not, in general, stupid. They see their money pouring out on sky high rent costs and extortionate levels of council tax for getting your bin emptied twice a week if your'e lucky, gas and electricity bills keep going up, so once you've seen the flood of money go out on stuff that you cannot control you're unlikely to be that bothered about paying an extra 21p for your breakfast.

Tosh.

That is to say, if you listen to the meeja - which seems to suppose you're going to pay more on gas in a month than I would in a year - you need some counterbalance to that "regardless of the cost" attitude.

Tosh.

That is to say, if you listen to the meeja - which seems to suppose you're going to pay more on gas in a month than I would in a year - you need some counterbalance to that "regardless of the cost" attitude.

Are you deliberately missing the main expenditure lines?

As a RL example a house adequate for a family of four down here (similar part of the world to you) costs £800 - £1000 a month, add £150 council tax and you're up to c. £1,100 every sodding month before you actually expend anything discretionary.

When successive government policies have caused this legitimised theft which prevents most people with families from saving anything it is incredibly patronising to say you could take your £200 a month food bill down by 50% if you could only be bothered to cook.

Look, my breakfast costs 4p. And I live in a mansion.

Sounds about right....Tesco no frills porridge 1kg is 75p.

Meanwhile since the wife insists on turning into watery gruel, she basically like it nearly all water and thin as hell....I reckon 4p covers my daily bowl of porridge each morning.

A bit of thrift going on in the kitchen units there...1980s cathedral cupboard doors, 1970s kitchen tiles.

Hope you don't mean me, 'cause nothing like me.....beans don't agree with me anyway.

To cook you need a place to cook, something to cook on and something to cook in....that is before the ingredients to cook with. ;)

They allow us to retain sufficient income for a bowl of gruel and still we complain.

Bloody peasants!

Hope you don't mean me, 'cause nothing like me.....beans don't agree with me anyway.

To cook you need a place to cook, something to cook on and something to cook in....that is before the ingredients to cook with. ;)

Indeed you do.

No, I meant the other winkie :ph34r:

So she's in the house of 'lords'? She should have spoken to the people who order in the champagne, you can do a jug of tap water with a squirt of lemon juce for 4p you know.

So she's in the house of 'lords'? She should have spoken to the people who order in the champagne, you can do a jug of tap water with a squirt of lemon juce for 4p you know.

Exactly. People in glass houses....

Nowt wrong with that. I'm guessing you've never drunk red wine out of a pint glass either?

There were no other clean glasses, honest!

She's a member of the Refreshment Committee in the Lords. Probably the most important body in the place..

Just because you dont "see" hunger doesn't mean its not going on. I have lost count the number of times I have taken food parcels to folk in the past couple of years. First of all there is a serious social stigma to going hungry, many many people are going without because they wont "admit" they have no food. The entire UK ******** culture is based on "showing off" when you maybe have a fiver in the bank. I know all the signs now and sometimes I have to drag it out of folk but many more are going hungry than you may realize. There is a huge amount of shame in a country where food is so abundant that you cannot afford the basics.

I have done it myself, I went without evening meals so my kids could beat better when I was in the shit.

This is patronizing ******** food isnt expensive and many can cook a meal but the reason people go hungry is because they have nothing I know how to stretch out a lidls 40 quid shop for ages but if I dont have 40 quid because my entire wages were used on bills and rent. Not ******ing sky tele either. I was using change behind couch cushions to buy bread.

This is more blaming the young and saying they are ******ing idiots and there problems are cause they are on the dole and eat takeout every night. Of course the young going hungry is because the older generation have raped the economy to suit themselves. I know a lot of young folk caught in benefits traps who have had to be bailed out by family too and non of this makes the stats. God ******ing help us though if old people didnt get there pension or heating allowance while sitting in a house worth hundreds of thousands.

There are no jobs, the young are being ******ed and old people are riding there backs until the collapse.

bring it on

Nowt wrong with that. I'm guessing you've never drunk red wine out of a pint glass either?

Just the right size! :blink::mellow:

From what I read in the papers, members of the house of lords, should be revealing at lot less of their winkies in real life.

Just because you dont "see" hunger doesn't mean its not going on. I have lost count the number of times I have taken food parcels to folk in the past couple of years. First of all there is a serious social stigma to going hungry, many many people are going without because they wont "admit" they have no food. The entire UK ******** culture is based on "showing off" when you maybe have a fiver in the bank. I know all the signs now and sometimes I have to drag it out of folk but many more are going hungry than you may realize. There is a huge amount of shame in a country where food is so abundant that you cannot afford the basics.

I have done it myself, I went without evening meals so my kids could beat better when I was in the shit.

This is patronizing ******** food isnt expensive and many can cook a meal but the reason people go hungry is because they have nothing I know how to stretch out a lidls 40 quid shop for ages but if I dont have 40 quid because my entire wages were used on bills and rent. Not ******ing sky tele either. I was using change behind couch cushions to buy bread.

This is more blaming the young and saying they are ******ing idiots and there problems are cause they are on the dole and eat takeout every night. Of course the young going hungry is because the older generation have raped the economy to suit themselves. I know a lot of young folk caught in benefits traps who have had to be bailed out by family too and non of this makes the stats. God ******ing help us though if old people didnt get there pension or heating allowance while sitting in a house worth hundreds of thousands.

There are no jobs, the young are being ******ed and old people are riding there backs until the collapse.

bring it on

Yes, mostly.

Although the house value is irrelevant if all you want to do is live in it; a house in the South-East may have gone up twentyfold or more since they bought it but there's no way of unlocking that money without selling the house you may have lived in for forty years.

I own a house and intend staying in it; I bought one I liked, am happy in it, and do not intend moving so house prices can double or halve tomorrow and it will not affect me one iota. As a long term HPCer I think halving is more likely and would welcome this for the overall improvement that lower housing costs would bring to people's lives.