House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Another Impossible 'energy Invention' Company?

One for the techies here to cast their eyes over briefly......

http://www.linear-technologies.co.uk/#!wind/c1o40

The bit that makes me suspicious/sceptical is this quote:

"Initial research suggests that the captured kinetic

energy will be converted into electrical energy with

99% efficiency."

My physics is rusty but.......at the the macroscopic scale (i.e not at the atomic/molecular level of things) I didn't think any energy conversion process could be that efficient by a long shot? You know, 'losses' and all that jazz.......

One for the techies here to cast their eyes over briefly......

http://www.linear-technologies.co.uk/#!wind/c1o40

The bit that makes me suspicious/sceptical is this quote:

"Initial research suggests that the captured kinetic

energy will be converted into electrical energy with

99% efficiency."

My physics is rusty but.......at the the macroscopic scale (i.e not at the atomic/molecular level of things) I didn't think any energy conversion process could be that efficient by a long shot? You know, 'losses' and all that jazz.......

Is the get out clause "captured"? I.e it's already failed to capture 70% of the energy but readily converts the 30% captured.

Even so 99% is still ridiculously high. IIRC energy extracts by cars are about 20% from petrol and 30% from diesel.

Is the get out clause "captured"? I.e it's already failed to capture 70% of the energy but readily converts the 30% captured.

Even so 99% is still ridiculously high. IIRC energy extracts by cars are about 20% from petrol and 30% from diesel.

I was thinking along the same lines, not 99% efficiency of the total but of some already smaller number.

Not quite, cars transform only 20-30% of the energy from fuel into kinetic energy (movement), the rest is transformed into heat (and some electricity).

Electric cars have an efficiency of around 80%.

Electric cars have an efficiency of around 80%.

But was the electricity they use produced wth anything like that level of efficiency in turning the source fuel into electricity? It's all very well to say that electric cars are 80% efficient, but if they are using electricity that was produced by burning coal, only 20% of the energy therein was converted into electricity and the rest wasted as heat and smoke, then the real efficiency level is a lot lower.

But was the electricity they use produced wth anything like that level of efficiency in turning the source fuel into electricity? It's all very well to say that electric cars are 80% efficient, but if they are using electricity that was produced by burning coal, only 20% of the energy therein was converted into electricity and the rest wasted as heat and smoke, then the real efficiency level is a lot lower.

All I was trying to point out is that energy can be transformed with high levels of efficiency.

Your argument is beside the point in this thread.

This article concerns wind turbine efficiency which is covered by Betz Law which determines that the upper limit of efficiency of a wind turbine to extract energy from an air stream is 59%. Modern turbines are approaching about 0.75 of that limit.