House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Ukip General Secretary Roger Bird Suspended Over Sex Harassment Claim By High-Profile Candidate Natasha Bolter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-general-secretary-roger-bird-suspended-over-allegations-of-impropriety-9911433.html

Ukip has been plunged into a fresh crisis after one of its most high-profile female candidates quit the party over sex harassment claims against its general secretary.

Natasha Bolter, an Oxford-educated former Labour party activist, claims that she was propositioned by the party’s general secretary Roger Bird on the day she was interviewed as a prospective candidate.

She said that Mr Bird invited her to continue the interview at a London member’s club that evening. "I thought it was because I was nervous. [but] when I went I could see that he wasn’t really interested in what I had to offer as a politician," she told The Times.

Ms Bolter, 35, denies that any romantic or sexual contact took place. She claims that upon accepting the invitation to dinner, Mr Bird said she was not dressed smartly enough. She says Mr Bird bought her a £169 dress from Ted Baker, before approvingly telling her she "now looked like a girl who could get in a taxi".

After sharing a meal together, Mr Bird "leant over and tried to kiss me". "It was obvious that he wanted to sleep with me," she said. "I was quite adamant that I’m not going to sleep with him or anyone [in Ukip]. It’s hard enough for women. We shouldn’t have to sleep with people to get to the right place."

Does this story sound odd to anyone else? So you think he's invited you out because you where nervous in the interview and the meal was going to get you relaxed to impress and to help in this he bought you a £169 dress. Was she so offended she kept the dress? The article doesn't mention what happened to it.

Have I missed something here?

I think it's shocking how quickly UKIP have moved on this, suspending Bird and investigating the allegations the instant they are made. They dare to call themselves a proper political party?? Hogwash!!

If they were a proper political party like, say, the LibDems then they'd try to ignore it all and brush it under the carpet for months or even years before caving to media pressure and doing the minimum possible to make it all go away.

Interesting that the lady in question is a Labour defector but has struck whilst the iron is hot, so to speak, with the breastfeeding and congestion context-altering in full swing. I mean, she was only initially "harrassed" (allegedly) all the way back in September and again in October, according to the Telegraph. It's now December (and there's a couple of controversial stories running).

The 5th column is hard at work....

Guest Jemmy Button

The Independent newspaper probably garnered a few thousand more people into voting for UKIP with this article.

How many posh restaurants can you even do this?:

After sharing a meal together, Mr Bird "leant over and tried to kiss me". "It was obvious that he wanted to sleep with me," she said.

Meanwhile, he says they already had been seeing each other in a relationship.

One or both of these people have serious issues. She has that Connie Huq look, he has that Lord Longford look.

I blame the person who appointed him to interview female candidates - with a name like Roger Bird, what did they expect?

Rodger Burd... does what it says on the tin.

I blame the person who appointed him to interview female candidates - with a name like Roger Bird, what did they expect?

Deluded scrapper Bird? :)

I'm surprised such a Modern Woman allowed him to take her for dinner (I presume she was intending to pay half the bill) and allowed him to buy her a dress.

If leaning in to kiss someone (and obviously backing off if they're not interested) is a crime nowadays, I'd like to know what the state-approved method of signalling sexual interest is? Is there a form or something that I have to fill out?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-general-secretary-roger-bird-suspended-over-allegations-of-impropriety-9911433.html

Does this story sound odd to anyone else? So you think he's invited you out because you where nervous in the interview and the meal was going to get you relaxed to impress and to help in this he bought you a £169 dress. Was she so offended she kept the dress? The article doesn't mention what happened to it.

Have I missed something here?

My firs thought in seeing this story is that this is a dirty tricks campaign and she's a Labour party plant......

My firs thought in seeing this story is that this is a dirty tricks campaign and she's a Labour party plant......

That thought had crossed my mind too.

If leaning in to kiss someone (and obviously backing off if they're not interested) is a crime nowadays, I'd like to know what the state-approved method of signalling sexual interest is? Is there a form or something that I have to fill out?

No, you have to wait for the subtle body language first ...

loveactually3-11Mia.jpg

I'm surprised such a Modern Woman allowed him to take her for dinner (I presume she was intending to pay half the bill) and allowed him to buy her a dress.

Exactly. In what way is this harassment?

She voluntarily accepted the offer of dinner. She didn't have to.

The offer of the dress was probably because his club had a dress code. However, at that point she should have 'made her excuses and left'.

The Victorians had a name for women who accepted gifts from men. It was called 'casual prostitution' and a well brought up woman would have run a mile before accepting something like that.

The problem is some women today, esp uber-feminists, can't understand the concept of being asked out on a date or accept the idea that man they are not particularly keen on might be keen on them. They lack the confidence to politely refuse and seem to blow it all up into 'harassment'.

I wondered that but if you watch her UKIP conference speech she slags off Labour for gender tokenism and ingrained misogyny. I think it's just a case that whenever she doesn't get her way she cries foul that she's being mistreated due to her gender.

No, you have to wait for the subtle body language first ...

loveactually3-11Mia.jpg

In that film he should have just banged her, he got treated like he had

Reckon the leftie is doing a tour of parties and failing to realise it's her that's the problem

In that film he should have just banged her, he got treated like he had

Reckon the leftie is doing a tour of parties and failing to realise it's her that's the problem

I wondered this. A feminist activist in Labour would, I imagine, have a hard time fitting in with UKIP.

From what I know of UKIP, the women in it seem to be tough, independent types in the Maggie Thatcher mould rather than Millie Tant victim-culture types.

If he is serially doing this like that Liberal peer was doing then he ought to be kicked out of UKIP.

If however this story is the sum of it then she would have to be incredibly naive to think that his buying her a dress and an expensive meal was a continuation of the interview procedure rather than a date which she could easily have declined.

Although it does give an opportunity for the more unscrupulous interviewer "As part of our interview procedure we require our interviewees to wear a bikini".

I wondered this. A feminist activist in Labour would, I imagine, have a hard time fitting in with UKIP.

From what I know of UKIP, the women in it seem to be tough, independent types in the Maggie Thatcher mould rather than Millie Tant victim-culture types.

She'll probably have a hard time fitting in anywhere,

I don't have time for anyone who blames their colour or sex for lack of success, Am glad they suspended the bloke, seems to me to just be yet another pathetic smear attempt