House Price Crash Forum

Osborne Pledges £50M To Make English Football 'best In The World'

zugzwang

HOLA441

I can't see what the problem is. It's just a continuation of the policy of giving tax payers' money to idle barstewards who've already got mountains of the stuff and won't be paying any tax. Whatever you say about Osborne, at least he's consistent.

If he needs any advice on how to spend it here's my two penn'orth ............. build a dirty great walled penal colony somewhere with an icy wind (maybe Benbecula?) and lock up every English footballer earning more than £50k there with no TV, no entertainment and nothing to do but kick a ball around until it goes dark. Let them out on Saturdays for the match and then send them straight back. I reckon standards would improve no end. Oh, and anyone who dives for a penalty gets a week breaking rocks.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Meanwhile back in the real world player wages and values inflate to infinity on the back of Sky subscriptions and rising ticket prices - you could buy 1/2 a Gareth Bale for that money.

Genuinely baffled by this. Is this meant to be a vote winner ? Is there some practical reason why this has to happen ?

HOLA448
HOLA449

I agree, I don't really watch any sport nowadays and I don't support any teams. The last time I watched any sport (in a pub), I couldn't really understand why people got so excited. I did use to enjoy watching sports but can't remember what I thought was good about it now! I must be getting old! :P

Actually, I think it is more the case that I rather be trying to doing something myself, sport or otherwise, then watching someone else doing it!

Yes, I'm in the same vein.

There is too much money in sport now, most sports have been caught out fixing things, and corruption is rife. So much so Osborne wants to plough more money into it.

Still the great unwashed can sit in, overflowing their armchairs, swigging tinnies and stuffing their faces, when getting off their butts and doing something would be a better option.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

No chance of me voting Torie again now. I can't stand football, or rather can't stand being force fed football at every turn and now I'm expected to contribute to it?

My sentiments entirely.

My bank once sent me a Visa card with a picture of a football on it, no way was I having that, fortunately they managed to find me another one.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Archived