• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Absolutely disgusting that this happens in the UK

There should be plenty to go around ...

Morrisons rejected 10,000 Cornish pasties because delivery was 17 minutes late, hunger report told

Morrisons turned away thousands of pasties because the delivery van turned up to the supermarket a quarter of an hour late.

The shocking revelation emerged in a damning report exposing the scale of food wastage in the UK. The report reveals that a food bank in Cornwall was offered the pasties after they were rejected by the giant supermarket chain.

It was a fraction of the 4.3 million tonnes of surplus food produced in the country each year – much of which goes to waste even while increasing numbers of families turn to charity to feed themselves.

Don Gardner, the manager of the Camborne, Pool and Redruth Food Bank, told the inquiry: “I had 9,864 Cornish pasties [offered to me] because the lorry was seventeen minutes late to Morrisons.

“That shouldn’t happen. I was offered 30,000 spring greens the other day because they were going to be ploughed back into the field.

“I couldn’t have them because I didn’t have anywhere to put them. I was offered 10 tonnes of tomatoes from Kent because they were too big for Tesco.”

A spokesperson for Morrisons said the supermarket would investigate but could not confirm his testimony.

“We are puzzled by this claim because it’s our policy not to turn away fresh food from our depots,” he told the Daily Mail.

“We’d very much like to look at this further but it’s difficult when the report has no record of the time or location of the delivery, nor details of the supplier.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/morrisons-turned-away-10000-cornish-pasties-because-delivery-was-late-hunger-report-told-9909540.html

HOLA443

Absolutely disgusting that this happens in the UK, it wasn't that long ago that a local Tory said their was no poverty in the UK!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30323682?ocid=socialflow_twitter

I'm suprised that these kids don't get together and start doing real damage to Britains infrastructure.

I'm 52 and I've also got nothing to lose. I would rather destroy a few comms boxes or transformers than throw myself under a train or starve.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm suprised that these kids don't get together and start doing real damage to Britains infrastructure.

I'm 52 and I've also got nothing to lose. I would rather destroy a few comms boxes or transformers than throw myself under a train or starve.

Indeed. Always seems such a waste when people commit suicide without taking an MP or six with them.

HOLA446

They're not actually starving tho. Sure it's tough, but one of the complaints was that she couldn't afford the ingredients to make a nice vegetable risotto.

Poverty is a very relative term.

Vegetable risotto is poverty food, even by third world standards: rice, onions, butter and vegetables. If you can't afford to cook vegetable risotto you're pretty close to the breadline.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA447

This is just anti Tory propaganda. Pure B.S. Go round and offer to do garden work for free at older peoples houses, tell the local police you are doing it beforehand, and ask anyone suspicious to phone the local cop shop to back up your story. Doing this will keep you warm and you are bound to get offered coffee and food, and you will hear some interesting tales into the bargain. I have been doing some work recently with people (much younger than me in many cases) who have pretty nasty degenerative diseases, believe me any day you can jump out of bed and walk around your town/city without support workers doing everything for you (toilet, food, put to bed, emotional comfort, changing the TV channel etc. etc.) is a blessing, don`t waste it bemoaning your lot in life, just feel the miracle that we have been given and get out there and try.

HOLA448

Vegetable risotto is poverty food, even by third world standards: rice, onions, butter and vegetables. If you can't afford to cook vegetable risotto you're pretty close to the breadline.

Tasty and nutritious though if you do it right? I would rather eat like that than support the corrupt nonsense of a consumerist system we call a society.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's also not true. The rest of what you said seems to underscore the gist of the article.

I didn`t read the article in great detail TBH because it is just a generic "Bad Tories" piece IMO. How much is the girl receiving in benefits that she can`t buy vegetables? I am assuming that her housing costs are paid by us?

HOLA4411

I just placed my second order of the year from http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

They sell out of date, dented tins etc. like you used to find 'down the market' at a fraction of the shop price.

Some nice anton Berg chocolate there today and because I ordered £30's worth I got a whole case of hot chocolate for 10p - that's 50 sachets.

HOLA4412

I didn`t read the article in great detail TBH because it is just a generic "Bad Tories" piece IMO. How much is the girl receiving in benefits that she can`t buy vegetables? I am assuming that her housing costs are paid by us?

Are they trick questions, or did you really just say you didn't read it and knowingly summarise it at the same time?

On the other bits, don't know about you but I find it hard to envy a 19yr old living in a YMCA and receiving whatever benefits that entails. And I certainly don't blame them, from any political angle.

HOLA4413

Quite right the lovely Tory's are offering 50 million for football. If she can't kick a ball she deserves to die.

HOLA4414

Are they trick questions, or did you really just say you didn't read it and knowingly summarise it at the same time?

On the other bits, don't know about you but I find it hard to envy a 19yr old living in a YMCA and receiving whatever benefits that entails. And I certainly don't blame them, from any political angle.

No tricks, just two very simple questions.

1) How much does she get in benefits, and why can`t some of this buy vegetables.

2) Are we paying her rent.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So the DWP say that "sanctions are used in a Tiny minority of cases."

63,000 over the past month.

Of course people are being punished by the Tories (Lab too if they get in) for not getting work......you can just see IDS having a good old master bation session over this.

Edited by council dweller

HOLA4417

So the DWP say that "sanctions are used in a Tiny minority of cases."

63,000 over the past month.

Of course people are being punished by the Tories (Lab too if they get in) for not getting work......you can just see IDS having a good old master bation session over this.

Punish the Tories (and LieMore) by voting UKIP. Saw that oily little snake Chukka whatever on Marr or something recently, couldn`t answer a straight question if his life depended on it. Sick making (if you`ve eaten that is)

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Strange post, did you take your meds...or did you take too much maybe?

Sill on my meds TBH got a bit of a cold find ginger wine quite nice.

I call myself left wing however the Tories have been better than labour so I really should STFU

HOLA4420

You mean like this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7542148/Tens-of-thousands-without-broadband.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/21/bt_glasgow_cable/

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/1339529.print/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2459400/guns-vandals-and-thieves-data-shows-us-networks-under-attack.html

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2010/07/16/airport-fire-damage-estimated-at-800k

Gives a whole new meaning to internet 'hacking'

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4421

No tricks, just two very simple questions.

1) How much does she get in benefits, and why can`t some of this buy vegetables.

2) Are we paying her rent.

I obviously have no idea on her benefits or rent. Many YMCA's are not very nice places, often for difficult cases (such as drugs or homelessness speaking from family experience), and if they're a problem it's as a representative symptom not a cause. The problem existed before this government and will exist after it. Some things don't have to be about picking an ideology, and I think not blaming kids and young people for their elder's choices is one of them. Finding it hard to afford vegetables is another.

HOLA4422

It's strange that we live in times where younger people are being shafted left, right and centre, yet they're more likely to vote for their favourite cabaret act in the X-Factor than in a local election.

HOLA4423

Nonsense

Beans on toast is much much cheaper

HOLA4424

I obviously have no idea on her benefits or rent. Many YMCA's are not very nice places, often for difficult cases (such as drugs or homelessness speaking from family experience), and if they're a problem it's as a representative symptom not a cause. The problem existed before this government and will exist after it. Some things don't have to be about picking an ideology, and I think not blaming kids and young people for their elder's choices is one of them. Finding it hard to afford vegetables is another.

My problem is with the article (that I didn`t bother to read) Typical bbc propaganda unit pish by the sounds of it. They want you to feel emotions like - Bad Tories! I`m going to vote for that idiot Milipede, or, Wow, some people have it bad, I`m so glad banker man lent me the money to buy a 500k slavebox near a slip road.

HOLA4425

Sill on my meds TBH got a bit of a cold find ginger wine quite nice.

I call myself left wing however the Tories have been better than labour so I really should STFU

My cure for a bad cold/flu is as hot a bath as you can stand, and a litre of sherry, sipped or downed doesn`t matter, the effect is about the same, you sweat like f*uck and generally feel much better. Best to give the liver a few days grace afterwards though.