House Price Crash Forum
brixnmorta

Where To Invest 5K A Year Over 15 Years ?

I have a little place which I rent out (bought well before they even called them 'Buy To Let') which brings in just over 5k a year.

As we moved to Australia (trust me it is not the utopia that the TV would have you believe) and have a 2 year old girl I considered selling, but previous changes to the capital gains tax and the drop in GPB vs AUD have me not so keen to do that.

As such, I would like a create a little nest egg for my daughter to use when she is old enough to travel back to the UK (even study there her Father [me] hopes).

So any advice on where to invest approximately 5k a year for the next 15 years would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Brix.

Google JISA (junior ISA) and judge for yourself if this investment vehicle is suitable.

JISA locks you in until the child is 18, but for some this discipline can be beneficial.

Personally I find stockbrokers AJ Bell very good so long as I avoid their "funds universe" and the associated extra charges.

Just one £9.95 dealing charge each tax year if you invest the whole yearly JISA allowance (£4,000 at present), plus accumulated income, in one go.

Low risk might be, for example, a low cost FTSE-100 tracker ETF and/or some UK index-linked gilts.

Note: I am not a qualified IFA and the above is just information, not advice.

I have been very impressed with FUNDSMITH 25% increase over the last year and 22% the year before. Terry Smith who runs the fund put 25 million of his own money into the fund so if you lose he loses.I will put up a video but gooogle some more.

Hi Spaniard & gf3,

Many thanks for your replies and for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I will DYOR (still amazed no one posted that yet) but at least I have somethings to research on now.

Oh, and apologies for my poor grammer...... I just realised that my original post sounds like I have a 2 year old daughter I considered selling..... and that is another reason why I would like there to be a healthy study fund waiting for her in 15 years time...... maybe I should stipulate that she studies English just so she can help her old man out on his future internet posts.

Cheers,

Brix.

10% going into bullion coins might be fun for her. She could help you choose which coins to get each year plus she gets to see her collection grow over the years.

brixnmorta - Have you paid off any mortgage you have on your buy to let property? If so, well done!! I'm looking into buying my first buy to let property.