House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkie

The Power Of Vulnerability

I did watch this and got the feeling there is a fairly smart/smug woman telling a lot of people what everyone knows already.

There is something about TED that really puts my back up but I just can't work out what it is. I think I need to see my therapist.

I did watch this and got the feeling there is a fairly smart/smug woman telling a lot of people what everyone knows already.

There is something about TED that really puts my back up but I just can't work out what it is. I think I need to see my therapist.

As this is made in America....I think you will find quite a few people there are under therapy....therapy is big business, I wonder why that is? ;)

I know what you mean. She is a very engaging speaker, and I really enjoyed the talk. But her epiphany after 6 years of research (and a personal crisis) can be summarised as: To feel emotionally close to someone you expose yourself to the risk of being hurt by them. The practical upshot being: the more loving and nurturing a childs home environment is, the better their chances of enjoying good mental health in adulthood. Reallly, six years of research? Behold the surprise on no-ones face...

This may help (caution: contains swears, lots):

This may help (caution: contains swears, lots):

The Sarah Silverman TED talk they talk about is available on Youtube. I don't think they pulled it because she said something bad about TED, but more because it just didn't have a clear positive message, and jokes about adopting "retarded, terminally ill children" don't always go over so well with very earnest people who must be a substantial part of their demographic. Very funny set though:

The Sarah Silverman TED talk they talk about is available on Youtube. I don't think they pulled it because she said something bad about TED, but more because it just didn't have a clear positive message, and jokes about adopting "retarded, terminally ill children" don't always go over so well with very earnest people who must be a substantial part of their demographic. Very funny set though:

I've started to get the impression that Ted's primary raison d'etre is to stroke its well-heeled attendees by letting them into an exclusive clever people club in exchange for a paltry $8k a conference. Ditto for its growing number of corporate sponsors. That's going to dictate the content and tone of the material it puts out, big time.

Rupert Sheldrake and Graham Hancock's Tedx talks were put on the naughty step, and they didn't slag off Ted or handicapped children.

I still enjoy and refer people to occasional talks though.

The Onion enjoys taking the p1ss out of Ted talks so much it's done a whole series of parodies...

e.g. (more swears)