House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agents Desperate Now ?

longgone

HOLA441
HOLA442

How old are you?

A good mate of mine, he is 45 now 46 in Jan 2015, just sold his business, sold house, now all post a messy divorce. He has around 550k cash sterling, they were quite well off. I was chatting to him via skype last week. He said he will never work again. He put the cash offshore,a measley 1% interest Gross, going travelling for a while.

I'm 32.

A bit complicated because I have kids, my son has Aspergers so a little vulnerable in terms of schooling really, so we've picked the right private school which happens to be somewhere that costs an effing fortune to live anywhere near. He's 12, so another 5.5 years before he leaves school. We've been in rented housing since he was born, we pay a fairly low rent for the property size but had enough of old decor, arrogant letting agents wanting to come round and inspect every three months, rules on pets, and all the rest - sick of it.

Daughter is younger, and she doesn't have special needs, but you don't really put one kid in private and the other in state if you can afford not to, IYKWIM, so still probably another £80k in fees for him and £150k for her, which is basically an investment in having a chance of having the earning power to be able to afford to buy an absurdly overpriced property when they are adults.

HOLA443

Agreed, Australia is insane.

But the following places:

Vietnam - Da Nang, Hue

Thailand - North Thailand

Malaysia - Melaka

Indonesia - Batam, Sumatra, dozens of others

Philippines - millions of islands

Cambodia

He could really live fantastically well for a very very long time.

I've seen people go to these places and things happen:

* get ripped off/house burns down, and lose everything

* die, at a young age due to poor medical care, tropical diseases and so on

* contracted brain cancer, had no health insurance (forgot to fill in the forms?) can no longer be treated at home in Europe, due to years away, now being treated with traditional herbs

* local cost of living is low, but that just makes other things more unaffordable - from Britain we can go on holiday anywhere in the world and not feel like we are being ripped off, whereas if you live in Asia then that option is kinda closed.

Also in a lot of these places you have to be fairly open to privations. Example: I was in Indonesia, needed Iphone update to run some software - in England, download in 15 minutes at home, update. In Indonesia, drove to a city (several hours drive), through horrible chaotic traffic, paid someone to update it, waited a couple of hours while he downloaded , came back.

Here: need a new tent, mobile phone, or whatever, just order online, it arrives tomorrow with Amazon Prime - there, you have to find it in a store, and if it's not something that's sold locally then get someone to import it for you.

Yeah IOS and new gadgets aren't what life is about, but when you get used to having that infrastructure, it can be frustrating to live without it.

And obviously middle-aged people in England lose their house and job and savings and what have you, but I don't think it's as common as those in Asia (partly I think because Asia is so chaotic - you can go and take drugs, or you can sleep with a different $10 whore every night, and drink too much alcohol, or cheat on your wife with both the maid and nanny at the same time, and it's just kind of part of the tapestry of life where you have millions of people living in real poverty with malaria and eating rats, and then billionaires driving past in their Mercedes, and nobody really bats an eyelid), and when it does happen in the UK you are still going to get social housing, access to healthcare, and a reasonable diet. When things go tits up when you are living in Bongo-Bongo Land, though, you can be really f***ed.

Not a criticism of the choice, just an observation, I think not a route for most people....

HOLA444
HOLA445

I've seen people go to these places and things happen:

* get ripped off/house burns down, and lose everything

* die, at a young age due to poor medical care, tropical diseases and so on

* contracted brain cancer, had no health insurance (forgot to fill in the forms?) can no longer be treated at home in Europe, due to years away, now being treated with traditional herbs

* local cost of living is low, but that just makes other things more unaffordable - from Britain we can go on holiday anywhere in the world and not feel like we are being ripped off, whereas if you live in Asia then that option is kinda closed.

Also in a lot of these places you have to be fairly open to privations. Example: I was in Indonesia, needed Iphone update to run some software - in England, download in 15 minutes at home, update. In Indonesia, drove to a city (several hours drive), through horrible chaotic traffic, paid someone to update it, waited a couple of hours while he downloaded , came back.

Here: need a new tent, mobile phone, or whatever, just order online, it arrives tomorrow with Amazon Prime - there, you have to find it in a store, and if it's not something that's sold locally then get someone to import it for you.

Yeah IOS and new gadgets aren't what life is about, but when you get used to having that infrastructure, it can be frustrating to live without it.

And obviously middle-aged people in England lose their house and job and savings and what have you, but I don't think it's as common as those in Asia (partly I think because Asia is so chaotic - you can go and take drugs, or you can sleep with a different $10 whore every night, and drink too much alcohol, or cheat on your wife with both the maid and nanny at the same time, and it's just kind of part of the tapestry of life where you have millions of people living in real poverty with malaria and eating rats, and then billionaires driving past in their Mercedes, and nobody really bats an eyelid), and when it does happen in the UK you are still going to get social housing, access to healthcare, and a reasonable diet. When things go tits up when you are living in Bongo-Bongo Land, though, you can be really f***ed.

Not a criticism of the choice, just an observation, I think not a route for most people....

Only half joking, then they ought to get them selves off to Middlesbrough.

Cheap living - check.

Exotic food - check (parmo).

£10 under age whores - check

Lots of cheap drugs - check.

Not a word of English spoken - check

Plus the NHS and broadband.

You can get a cheap flat, hey, you can find an easy squat. and sit out the world for a year or two.

And you might as well be at the other end of the world cos noone will visit you. Ever.

HOLA446

Lots of emails with overpriced properties being sent to me , funny since they never bothered to send me anything at the start of the year !

They know i am a cash buyer , i wonder if the new lending rules are screwing up selling to existing gullible folk ?

incidentally they keep sending new overpriced 300k flats in woking to me .

i replied to their email stating if the asking price ever drop to 150k let me know

Anything is for sale at a price.....fools and their money/borrowed money if they can get it are easily parted......wait long enough one will surely bite......some homes are permanently on the market for sale......technically to most they are unsaleable.

HOLA447

Told him to stay away from Australia. 2200 per month at 1.8 to 1 would not go anywhere here.....

Bad but not quite that bad, Most Aussies live on that or less for a month, even couples, we do. A single could do well on it provide he was not a big drinker/smoker etc. If you can live on it in Aus then the rest of the world barring a few exception would be a life of luxury.

ps I cut my own hair now with a $15 set of clippers (had no style to maintain anyway). Shop at Aldi's etc etc dont drink but save enough for some serious overseas travel every year and a few local'ish trips.

HOLA448

Anything is for sale at a price.....fools and their money/borrowed money if they can get it are easily parted.......

my free thoughts and my integrity isnt...nor my childrens futur3. there is no m9ney 9n earth can buy my self respect.

the important things in life have no price.

not one man has taken his earhly poss3sions with him to the non existent otger side.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Bad but not quite that bad, Most Aussies live on that or less for a month, even couples, we do. A single could do well on it provide he was not a big drinker/smoker etc. If you can live on it in Aus then the rest of the world barring a few exception would be a life of luxury.

ps I cut my own hair now with a $15 set of clippers (had no style to maintain anyway). Shop at Aldi's etc etc dont drink but save enough for some serious overseas travel every year and a few local'ish trips.

Are steve99 did not realise you were also in Oz, where about's are you? Are you a Pom migrant or an Ozzy born here in Oz migrant? I am currently in Brisvegas for now. Might move on soon to a more coastal region, cheaper to live?

I know the average take home pay is around $800.00 bucks aweek in Qld at a guess? So that's 1925 pounds sterling per month at 1.8 to 1. But the exchange rate really skews the number as 2.5 to 1 really reflects the true cost of living here in Oz. That figure 2.5 to 1 would put it more at a more realistic level of 1385 pounds sterling per month, which sounds about right if you compare costs in the UK to Oz. 19,800 pounds sterling per annum, I bet that is a true reflection of the real average wage in the UK at present.

My original comment was more so regarding my outgoings, I guess I am not the norm, as I invest $200 bucks a week in the beverage commodity alone, big on commodities me. Luckily I do not smoke or gamble, as then I would really be financially embarrassed. What I waste on my rent is $400.00 per week, Electric, travel costs, phone and internet $50.00 to $70.00 aweek, food, well $120.00 to $150.00 per week, a few takeout's etc., no restaurant's, terrible quality for cost, leaves me around $100.00 to $130.00 aweek to invest in hookers lol, only joking. So yes I have a reasonably comfortable lifestyle, no kids and no woman that needs feeding and clothing. My mate would invest more than me in the beverage commodity and demand a higher quality of rental. So 2200 pounds per month would not be enough for him. But I get what your saying. Oz is expensive though, more so than the UK.

Edited by Panda

HOLA4411