House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Knightscope K5 Autonomous Data Machine Crime Fighting Robot

Holy f*cking Moly!

Matt Phillips @MatthewPhillips 1h1 hour ago

The company that makes this ominous looking, crime-fighting robot raised $5.2 million today. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/knightscope-closes-52-million-series-a-2014-12-02?reflink=MW_news_stmp

B34lXKACQAAg1Ws.png

Knightscope’s ADMs are fully autonomous robots with an array of onboard sensors used to monitor the surrounding environment and provide a physical and commanding presence in public places where security is needed. A single ADM is capable of generating over 90 terabytes of data per year. It communicates via a wireless network directly with the Knightscope Security Operations Center (KSOC), a browser-based user interface, to provide real-time alerts of unusual or suspicious activity.

Knightscope is making its first machine, the K5, available now for preorder on a MaaS (Machine-as-a-Service) basis to select customers in Silicon Valley at $6.25 per hour, per machine in 24/7 deployments for terms of one, two or three years. According to Knightscope, deploying K5 machines in outdoor environments on corporate campuses, around data centers, shopping malls and where private security guards are stationed will free humans to address strategic tasks while the machines handle the monotonous, computational heavy and sometimes dangerous tasks.

http://www.knightscope.com/about.html

It's a Dalek isn't it.

Holy f*cking Moly!

Matt Phillips ‏@MatthewPhillips 1h1 hour ago

The company that makes this ominous looking, crime-fighting robot raised $5.2 million today. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/knightscope-closes-52-million-series-a-2014-12-02?reflink=MW_news_stmp …

B34lXKACQAAg1Ws.png

http://www.knightscope.com/about.html

It's a Dalek isn't it.

Yes.

It looks like it can't climb stairs.

If they ever deploy these on public land I can forsee a new sport in destroying or disabling them. They look like they would fit neatly upside down inside a wheelie bin, perhaps full of water. The would disable them prettu comprehensively.

I reckon that in some parts of the States they would just get shot at.

I imagine that simply placing a bin liner over it would render it more or less useless.

You should tell Peter Cushing.

If they ever deploy these on public land I can forsee a new sport in destroying or disabling them. They look like they would fit neatly upside down inside a wheelie bin, perhaps full of water. The would disable them prettu comprehensively.

I reckon that in some parts of the States they would just get shot at.

In the Netherlands they would put a tyre round it and set it alight - quite right, too.

At $6.25 an hour, it's even cheaper than a security guard though, so it's like to catch on!

Yes.

It looks like it can't climb stairs.

ED-209 had a problem with that as well - I think we're headed to more of an OCP dystpoia than a whoniverse.

According to Knightscope, deploying K5 machines in outdoor environments on corporate campuses, around data centers, shopping malls and where private security guards are stationed will free humans to address strategic tasks while the machines handle the monotonous, computational heavy and sometimes dangerous tasks.

Its not clear from the blurb but they appear to be static and developed for use (initially at least) on private land as above.

That said, public space seems to increasingly being privatised to the extent in the future not much will happen in public spaces annyway.

Te public space one would probably need to be armed in some way.

Its not clear from the blurb but they appear to be static and developed for use (initially at least) on private land as above.

That said, public space seems to increasingly being privatised to the extent in the future not much will happen in public spaces annyway.

Te public space one would probably need to be armed in some way.

Without the potential for active involvement it is nothing more than a glorified CCTV camera.

Some people may not like the idea of a fully armed autonomous robot, but there could be an interim solution. Maybe it could have CS gas cannister launchers that can be deployed via a remote control human operator, or a 360 degree swivel machine gun mounted in the head that swivels along with a camera to allow operators in a remote command centre to suppress negative behaviour.

Without the potential for active involvement it is nothing more than a glorified CCTV camera.

Some people may not like the idea of a fully armed autonomous robot, but there could be an interim solution. Maybe it could have CS gas cannister launchers that can be deployed via a remote control human operator, or a 360 degree swivel machine gun mounted in the head that swivels along with a camera to allow operators in a remote command centre to suppress negative behaviour.

If deployed to a rough area, it would surely get disabled, stolen and stripped for parts. Arming something like this is just handing weapons to the people you're trying to oppress. Although that does seem to be policy in Iraq/Syria.

Well remotely operated drones are killing people on a regular basis so probably the next evolution.

Perhaps it will evolve into something more akin to a CIA spotter on the ground providing co-ordinates of unruly behaviour to sky drones or local ground police who can then take appropriate action.

It does seem geared to passively patrolling adn monitoring private 'campuses'. It is not armed.

If on private land, it is the landowner's prerogative if they want to create a sinister, oppressive atmosphere.

The moment such a machine is rolled out onto the streets in the UK, I will be ready with an iron bar and sledgehammer.

It does seem geared to passively patrolling adn monitoring private 'campuses'. It is not armed.

If on private land, it is the landowner's prerogative if they want to create a sinister, oppressive atmosphere.

The moment such a machine is rolled out onto the streets in the UK, I will be ready with an iron bar and sledgehammer.

not a sonic screwdriver?

Yes, but that would give it a right to defend itself surely.

I think it would be capable of resisting iron bars and hammer attacks. If I were to design one of these I would additionally make it resistant to acid attack and flamethrowers.

Yes, but that would give it a right to defend itself surely.

I think it would be capable of resisting iron bars and hammer attacks. If I were to design one of these I would additionally make it resistant to acid attack and flamethrowers.

Other than passive armour, it could only defend itself if it was weaponised.

If it was weaponised, then being a machine with no rights, it would be a legitimate target for attack simply for being a weapon on the streets, as it would pose a threat.

Other than passive armour, it could only defend itself if it was weaponised.

If it was weaponised, then being a machine with no rights, it would be a legitimate target for attack simply for being a weapon on the streets, as it would pose a threat.

something like this maybe?

dalek-fx-single-5.jpg

Anyone else thinking this is probably a bit of over-sold s**t?

The blurb hints at DARPA grade, autonomous behavioural analysis and human interaction algorithms plus state of the art sensor arrays, but it is cunningly phrased in such a way that it also describes a CCTV rig, perched on one of those robo vacuum cleaners, all skinned-up to look like an over-sized butt plug.

The Chinese knock-off version will probably come with a built-in LED torch and bottle opener.

One time, many moons ago, I took a job minding people dressed as Mr Men handing out fliers in shopping centres and other public places. The temptation to try and knock them over was irresistible to many folk. The costumes had no peripheral vision and once you went down you stayed down.

Having seen what 10 year olds are prepared to dish out to Mr Happy I give the Knightscope K5 Autonomous Data Machine Crime Fighting Robot (with optional LCD clock/radio facility) no chance

One time, many moons ago, I took a job minding people dressed as Mr Men handing out fliers in shopping centres and other public places. The temptation to try and knock them over was irresistible to many folk. The costumes had no peripheral vision and once you went down you stayed down.

Having seen what 10 year olds are prepared to dish out to Mr Happy I give the Knightscope K5 Autonomous Data Machine Crime Fighting Robot (with optional LCD clock/radio facility) no chance

You were Mr Happy's minder!

Given the recent revelations regarding many of our beloved '70's children's entertainers I note that you don't associate yourself with Mr Tickle - anything that Plod need to be informed of?

You were Mr Happy's minder!

On another thread someone mentioned a movie, set entirely in an Israeli tank in combat, which apparently communicates all the horror, claustrophobia, uncertainty and dread that experience entails.

The first thing I thought of was Mr Happy in an Arndale.