House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Nuts In May. On At 10. Bbc4

Better than Oasis, but still cringe worthy. Recording it in case there is some female nudity.

See what you think when you've watched it.

Tip.

It isn't a musical.

And you wouldn't have wanted to have been Keith's neighbour in Surrey in 1974.

Already recommended it once today. It's very good.

Sorry missed that.

I am cackling myself stupid here.

Love Keith Pratt.

He's awesome.

I think Mike Leigh owes Roger Sloman so much.

See what you think when you've watched it.

Tip.

It isn't a musical.

And you wouldn't have wanted to have been Keith's neighbour in Surrey in 1974.

Probably be a couple of days til I watch it, got to work to pay the (cheap) rent and all that, but I will be sure to post my considered opinion.

The 2012 film 'Sightseers' has a bit of a Nuts in May vibe about it. It's one of those dark comedies where a lot of people either laugh a lot, or not at all. The nsfw trailer includes a couple of good lines...

This was definitely Mlke Leighs 'breakthrough' work so you may have a point

It would be very easy for the parts to hammed as caricatures by the actors but Sloman is always completely convincing as Keith even when his frustrations spill over into those almost cartoon attempts to impose his order on the world by violence.

It was real tour de force..

The 2012 film 'Sightseers' has a bit of a Nuts in May vibe about it. It's one of those dark comedies where a lot of people either laugh a lot, or not at all. The nsfw trailer includes a couple of good lines...

Ha! You beat me to it with 'sightseers' nuggets.

'Nuts in May' harks from the golden era of regular UK TV drama slots such as 'play for today' and 'the Wednesday play' which developed writers including John Osborne, Dennis Potter, Stephen Poliakoff, David Hare, Willy Russell, Alan Bleasdale, Arthur Hopcraft, Alan Plater, Graham Reid, David Storey, Andrew Davies, Rhys Adrian, John Hopkins and jack Rosenthal. Several prominent directors also featured, including Stephen Frears, Alan Clarke, Michael Apted, Mike Newell, Roland Joffe, Ken Loach, Lindsay Anderson ... Etc etc.

Now if you search iplayer under 'drama', you find only episodes of EastEnders, casualty and holby city. It's a bloody tragedy.

Luckily much of the 70s stuff is still available on YouTube.

Check out 'the comedians', 'land of green ginger', 'the fishing party', 'blue remembered hills' or 'the flipside of Dominic Hyde'. drama of that quality is now inconceivable on UK TV.

'Nuts in May' harks from the golden era of regular UK TV drama slots such as 'play for today' and 'the Wednesday play' which developed writers including John Osborne, Dennis Potter, Stephen Poliakoff, David Hare, Willy Russell, Alan Bleasdale, Arthur Hopcraft, Alan Plater, Graham Reid, David Storey, Andrew Davies, Rhys Adrian, John Hopkins and jack Rosenthal. Several prominent directors also featured, including Stephen Frears, Alan Clarke, Michael Apted, Mike Newell, Roland Joffe, Ken Loach, Lindsay Anderson ... Etc etc.

Now if you search iplayer under 'drama', you find only episodes of EastEnders, casualty and holby city. It's a bloody tragedy.

Check out 'the comedians', 'land of green ginger', 'the fishing party' or 'the flipside of Dominic Hyde'. drama of that quality is now inconceivable on UK TV.

Surely some mistake.

According to Channel 4 1970s TV was all sexist and racist with undertones of paedophilia. They could not be distorting the truth could they ?

Sorry missed that.

I am cackling myself stupid here.

Love Keith Pratt.

He's awesome.

No apology required, I meant in "RL" not on here!

No apology required, I meant in "RL" not on here!

Ah good.

Still chuckling this am.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR PHOTO TAKEN WAYYYY??????!!!"

I read some tweets last night saying that Keith started off as a Green, and ended up UKIP in the space of two days.

Check out 'the comedians', 'land of green ginger', 'the fishing party', 'blue remembered hills' or 'the flipside of Dominic Hyde'. drama of that quality is now inconceivable on UK TV.

I remember seeing this on TV in the 80's. Barry Foster was excellent in it.

Had a drum kit and massive pron stash as far as i can recall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_in_the_Gardens

That was great, you're the first person at the time or since who has even mentioned it. I thought I was the only one who liked it!

There was also Artemis 81, another cracking play. Sting was in it.

Stop dragging up these old programmes, from the time when the TV licence was "worth it"! :wacko: