House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Daily Veg

Humans (particularly kids) rarely seem to have any natural inclination to eat vegetables, so how did humankind ever become dependent on vegetables as a source of nutrition, especially as our early ancestors must have gone six months of the year without any fresh veg at all being available? And where do carnivores get all their essential vitamins and minerals from?

Humans (particularly kids) rarely seem to have any natural inclination to eat vegetables, so how did humankind ever become dependent on vegetables as a source of nutrition, especially as our early ancestors must have gone six months of the year without any fresh veg at all being available? And where do carnivores get all their essential vitamins and minerals from?

Nuts, oils, fruit and lentils. ;)

Plenty of winter veg (no idea what but I know there is, the allotment perverts will be able to advise more) and I suppose you have to take northward migration into account (near/after farming?)

What's more we probably need more veg now for the same nutrient ratio due to GMO/depleted soil quality etc.

Other carnivores tend to have vastly different digestive systems so don't need the same nutrient profile - most hunters will get their 'veg' nutrient from the gullets of whatever was in the prey.

Anecdotal - the new kitten was stealing carrots out the stir fry the other day, probably as they still had some crunch she thought they were biscuits, make of that what you will!

Women.

I was married to a vegetable for some years! :blink:

Plenty of winter veg (no idea what but I know there is, the allotment perverts will be able to advise more) and I suppose you have to take northward migration into account (near/after farming

Brassicas in particular can sail through the winter.

Currently in the plot and being eaten - chard, kale, parsnips, mizuna, red mustard, radicchio, chicory, endive, cauliflower, cabbage, sprouts, salsify, leeks, still a few beetroot left, brocccoli, plus the broad beans are up and running for the spring.

The stuff that's arguably iffy from an adaptive PoV is our relatively recent reliance on grains.

Don't carnivores eat all the innards of herbivore prey first, including their stomach full of green stuff? I have seen lions chilling next to a big antelope that was their dinner - they had eaten nothing but its insides. (We were only a couple of yards away and the car got stuck - the bloke I was with wanted me to get out and push, but that's another story...)

Truth of the matter is that we are simply not meant to be this far north, or south, of the equator.

Lots of animals eat bones - something we don't do any more - to get minerals and they also eat gravel, earth or even rocks to get minerals when needed.

Most of us have grown out of eating nuts and we simply no longer fill up on fruits and veg in the summer as we used to have to do so.

To answer your question - how did humankind ever become dependent on vegetables as a source of nutrition - we simply, when apes, ate loads of fruit and veg and nuts. If we got hold of protein, such as meat or fish, we would eat it but there must be countless times in our history when we were unable to catch that deer or find fish or sea-food... so we resorted back to fruit, veg, root crops.

What I find more interesting is how you can still see in male and female behavioural patterns the very things that must have developed back in our hunter-gatherer past. For example, women being far more talkative and communicative whilst men often being less talkative. You didn't want to be chatter-boxes when hunting the latest game, or even the enemy tribe, whilst, back at the caves, the women would need to bond with other women for mutual need such as birthing, child-care, etc, etc.

Even now, hundreds of thousands of years later, you find that women are more likely to have a salad or vegatable meal whilst, for the blokes, it is all about big steaks, burgers, lots of meats. Think back to our hunter-gatherer days and the men would be out hunting for days on end... whilst back at the base the women would be collectively gathering fruits, veg, root crops, nuts, etc, etc. The female activity was a communicative one whilst the male one was also communicative but one mostly done in silence.

Truth of the matter is that we are simply not meant to be this far north, or south, of the equator.

Lots of animals eat bones - something we don't do any more - to get minerals and they also eat gravel, earth or even rocks to get minerals when needed.

Most of us have grown out of eating nuts and we simply no longer fill up on fruits and veg in the summer as we used to have to do so.

To answer your question - how did humankind ever become dependent on vegetables as a source of nutrition - we simply, when apes, ate loads of fruit and veg and nuts. If we got hold of protein, such as meat or fish, we would eat it but there must be countless times in our history when we were unable to catch that deer or find fish or sea-food... so we resorted back to fruit, veg, root crops.

What I find more interesting is how you can still see in male and female behavioural patterns the very things that must have developed back in our hunter-gatherer past. For example, women being far more talkative and communicative whilst men often being less talkative. You didn't want to be chatter-boxes when hunting the latest game, or even the enemy tribe, whilst, back at the caves, the women would need to bond with other women for mutual need such as birthing, child-care, etc, etc.

Even now, hundreds of thousands of years later, you find that women are more likely to have a salad or vegatable meal whilst, for the blokes, it is all about big steaks, burgers, lots of meats. Think back to our hunter-gatherer days and the men would be out hunting for days on end... whilst back at the base the women would be collectively gathering fruits, veg, root crops, nuts, etc, etc. The female activity was a communicative one whilst the male one was also communicative but one mostly done in silence.

We ate dinosaurs, and now they are extinct we are suffering from a dinosaur-deficient diet.

Root vegetables requires cooking, that's why apes don't eat any. If you want to eat a "Paleo" diet you should probably eat far more insects. Snails and shellfish appear to have been a huge thing for paleolithic humans, far more so than mammoth steaks (or dinosaur casseroles).

Fresh veg out of the ground tastes completely different to the stuff you buy packaged, washed and sorted, stored for up to 12 months and or stored in climate controled conditions in a high production high yield food manufacturing processes...... There is nothing to compare the taste and flavour of fresh out of the ground........ Also kids nowadays have easy access to processed cheap sweet and fatty foods, as well as bland and tasteless vegetables..... On top of that many parents do not know how to buy or cook healthy foods be it because they are uninterested, unaware, unable or can't be bothered.

When you're a hunter gatherer you're not picky. In woodland, say, there is very little that is edible so you will eat any leaves or roots that won't actually cause you harm.

A lot of tree leaves are edible - lime, beech - you can eat the young leaves in a salad or sandwich.

Brassicas in particular can sail through the winter.

Currently in the plot and being eaten - chard, kale, parsnips, mizuna, red mustard, radicchio, chicory, endive, cauliflower, cabbage, sprouts, salsify, leeks, still a few beetroot left, brocccoli, plus the broad beans are up and running for the spring.

The stuff that's arguably iffy from an adaptive PoV is our relatively recent reliance on grains.

why not just add a spoonful of manure to your meat stew?

Sprouts.

Prehistoric man survived entirely on sprouts.

you are just gassing about that.

Good answers. A plusses all round (except for bloo loo. you'll have to report to pin for the usual punishment)

Would it be fair to say, that Vikings probably didn't get a lot of fresh leafy greens during the snowy season, and remained reasonably healthy?

And do liver and offal count as one of my 5 a day?

Good answers. A plusses all round (except for bloo loo. you'll have to report to pin for the usual punishment)Would it be fair to say, that Vikings probably didn't get a lot of fresh leafy greens during the snowy season, and remained reasonably healthy?And do liver and offal count as one of my 5 a day?

Worth bearing in mind that Vikings were actually farmers and only got into the rape and pillage as a sideline...

http://www.danishnet.com/info.php/vikings/farming-152.html

http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/the-surprisingly-sufficient-viking-diet

I also suspect that they looked happier and healthier going into winter than coming out

Edit: I'm sure I've mentioned this before but, because of its hardiness and nutritional qualities, kale was once an important part of north European diets. It's still worshipped in some burghs...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr√ľnkohlessen

Worth bearing in mind that Vikings were actually farmers and only got into the rape and pillage as a sideline...

http://www.danishnet.com/info.php/vikings/farming-152.html

http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/the-surprisingly-sufficient-viking-diet

I also suspect that they looked happier and healthier going into winter than coming out

Edit: I'm sure I've mentioned this before but, because of its hardiness and nutritional qualities, kale was once an important part of north European diets. It's still worshipped in some burghs...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr√ľnkohlessen

Even got a daytime TV slot...The Jeremy Kale show....shows how you look if you dont get yours.

Perhaps they would if they came in funny shapes?

We have all done that! :blink:! Although I bow to "ccc";s experience! :o