House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Any More News Of The Probe On That Comet?

They wanted to move the probe to a better location on the comet, but they couldn't afford the difference now that cometary property values have gone up so much.

I am the official misery guts on this issue.

There has been little extra release on the science results. Basically I think so far the drill did not work and did not return a sample, but the spectroscopy instruments did manage to sniff the atmosphere and saw some organics, which was interesting.

Other failures include the hammer breaking (although it did send back some info), the APXS cover did not apparently come off properly.

I believe they have still not found where it landed, so it is hard for them to tell whether or not it will wake up - lets hope it does.

I think that failure of a lot of the surface experiments was pretty much inevitable given the chaotic nature of the landing. To be fair the landing is first attempted and was always bound to be difficult. What hacks me off is the way they big the whole thing up in the media to be tremendously successful, when in fact a lot of the stuff failed. This is the nature of difficult space missions.

There has been little extra release on the science results. Basically I think so far the drill did not work and did not return a sample, but the spectroscopy instruments did manage to sniff the atmosphere and saw some organics, which was interesting.

Other failures include the hammer breaking (although it did send back some info), the APXS cover did not apparently come off properly.

I believe they have still not found where it landed, so it is hard for them to tell whether or not it will wake up - lets hope it does.

I think that failure of a lot of the surface experiments was pretty much inevitable given the chaotic nature of the landing. To be fair the landing is first attempted and was always bound to be difficult. What hacks me off is the way they big the whole thing up in the media to be tremendously successful, when in fact a lot of the stuff failed. This is the nature of difficult space missions.

You need to learn how results can be bigged up.

For example:

Broken hammer = succesful test result confirming comet has a hard surface.

Were they sponsored by Silverline tools ?

Didn't the hammer break because they were trying to bounce it to another landing site?

I think it was a great success!

When they did the fly past they should have shot off 100 different coloured L-e-d's onto the surface. They could have then chosen the best site and directed the probe to the correct l-e-d.

They will know for next time, I'm sure.....

Did we have L-e-d's 10 years ago? :D

Forgot all about this, just like the media has, or maybe because it has.

How fickle we all are.