Channel 4: Property Boom` -- Merged

HOLA441
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

This?

Swallow it down hpc softheart excusers. It's a market, not a multi-decade game of excuses and awarding victimhood for buyers who choose to outbid others by fortunes.

HOLA443

For more info, it's Monday 1st December @ 20.00.

"House prices are rocketing across the UK, with huge consequences for people buying and selling their homes. But who are the winners and losers in the British property boom?"

At least the tag line isn't advertising entirely how wonderful this is. I'll reserve judgement until tomorrow.

HOLA444
HOLA445

This?

Swallow it down hpc softheart excusers. It's a market, not a multi-decade game of excuses and awarding victimhood for buyers who choose to outbid others by fortunes.

Another 'shoeshine boy' moment perhaps? A classic indication of a market top about to occur? Always seems to me that by the time programme makers get to making progs about some social topic they are usually late to the party.....

HOLA446
HOLA447

Reminds me of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Pound_Property_Experiment

"Million Pound Property Experiment was a television series in 2003–2004 which aired on BBC Two in the United Kingdom in which designers Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan bought, renovated and re-sold properties for a profit. This, as they gambled with a £100,000 loan from the BBC, with the ultimate goal being a sale of a property for £1 million."

The whole hting should have collapsed in 2005, the natural peak, but they kept it going, ponzi-style.

HOLA448

Just saw an advert for it.

Threw up.

The ads have been on for a few days. One I saw had the boss saying "There is NO NEGOTIATING on price, ever", or something like that. The sales team, no doubt hungry to pay their own mortgage, looked caught between ruthlessness and creeping fear, a difficult emotional place to be I assume. This will be car crash awful IMO, laughable and anger inducing as well. I can visualise some of their viewings; "We don`t negotiate on the price....ever."...."Bye".... I am guessing many EA`s don`t throw up much these days, they are too hungry :lol:

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA449

Reminds me of this:

"Million Pound Property Experiment was a television series in 2003–2004 which aired on BBC Two in the United Kingdom in which designers Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan bought, renovated and re-sold properties for a profit. This, as they gambled with a £100,000 loan from the BBC, with the ultimate goal being a sale of a property for £1 million."

The whole hting should have collapsed in 2005, the natural peak, but they kept it going, ponzi-style.

Is this the basis of the BBC's VI? :mellow:

HOLA4410

IMO the bbc`s VI is just protecting the status quo, keeping control (they don`t have this power any more IMO, but don`t seem to have cottoned on yet, they will just beam out the message hoping that enough people tow the line) Many did what was expected and borrowed to the max for property, that this is good will be upheld by the bbc until it all just collapses, then they will try to appear "horrified". It is all just bad mind-control panto really.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Reminds me of this:

"Million Pound Property Experiment was a television series in 20032004 which aired on BBC Two in the United Kingdom in which designers Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan bought, renovated and re-sold properties for a profit. This, as they gambled with a £100,000 loan from the BBC, with the ultimate goal being a sale of a property for £1 million."

I thought this was a sham, with lots of unaccounted for cash, fees etc, and arbitrary upgrades from property to property, without the net profits from the previous one being sufficient for it to work

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I thought this was a sham, with lots of unaccounted for cash, fees etc, and arbitrary upgrades from property to property, without the net profits from the previous one being sufficient for it to work

There is a lot of competition - however that programme was up there at the top. Just completely made up fiction from start to finish.

Buy for 100k , do up , sell for 130k , 10k profit = buy next one for 200k....

Something missing there - but can't quite put my finger on it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Shame Adam Curtis hasn't done one of his 90 minute documentaries on the property boom with the trademark stock footage and eclectic soundtrack. A slow motion zoom into Krusty's laughing face, set against Brian Eno could really work.

Maybe, having made his name and fortune in making those various well known 'conspiracy theory'/alternate viewpoint modern social history documentaries, he himself is also mortgaged up to his eyeballs???? ;)

HOLA4420

The ads have been on for a few days. One I saw had the boss saying "There is NO NEGOTIATING on price, ever", or something like that. The sales team, no doubt hungry to pay their own mortgage, looked caught between ruthlessness and creeping fear, a difficult emotional place to be I assume. This will be car crash awful IMO, laughable and anger inducing as well. I can visualise some of their viewings; "We don`t negotiate on the price....ever."...."Bye".... I am guessing many EA`s don`t throw up much these days, they are too hungry :lol:

Well looking at the drop in volume of sales this year around my neck of the woods( lower than 08/09/10) they will be negotiating hard next year or eating jam whilst claiming JSA

Check out the volumes in your area with the MAP function (top middle of the page) on Evictes (from on here) site https://houseprices.io/

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4421

Tonight's Dispatches investigates the consequences of rapid house price rises, for buyers and sellers, and asks how 2014's property boom will change the face of our towns and cities.

Am hoping that they highlight the destruction high housing costs are having on the country's economy.

Thanks mods for merging this.

Edited by Blod

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Well looking at the drop in volume of sales this year around my neck of the woods( lower than 08/09/10) they will be negotiating hard next year or eating jam whilst claiming JSA

Check out the volumes in your area with the MAP function (top middle of the page) on Evictes (from on here) site https://houseprices.io/

Just had jam with rice pudding actually, pretty tasty, wouldn`t be so hot without the rice though, and with the JSA :lol: Will use the volumes thing, cheers.

It`s England and Wales only unfortunately :(

Edited by dances with sheeple