House Price Crash Forum

Buying A Suit / Jacket

libspero

HOLA441
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Got my first suit last year aged 36 for a wedding. I just wear decent trousers and tieless shirt with a tank top to work

Got from tm lewin - seems ok quality but what would I know. They always have 'half price' on - but I think that's more or less their standard price anyway.

I got a slim fit blue job - luckily I must be like a mannequin - as off the peg looks like its made for me. I doubt most are as lucky.

Never tried their suits but the shirts are impossible to iron!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Anyway, prompted by this thread, I thought I'd check out some threads (sorry). Is it just me and my faulty memory - or are suits really, really cheap compared with 10 or 15 years ago?

Dunno about 10 or 15 years ago, but clothes in general are incredibly cheap by historical standards.

Except shoes. RIP those nice-but-cheap Polish-made sandals.

HOLA448

Question about this. I've got suit trousers that touch my shoes when standing, however they do look a little half-mast-y when walking (not helped by my fast and unusual gait). Now I've also read that trousers shouldn't 'pool' on your shoes either. Which is correct? Are my trousers too short?

It's just not made for that goose-step!

HOLA449

I've always put it down to penny-pinching. I have yet another riveting anecdote in which I purchased some boxers from Matalan that were just too damn small, even the XL size.

Isn't that down to funny-shapes?

I had a slightly similar experience buying shirts from Peacocks. The L or XL were fine over the paunch, but I had to go up to XXL to find something that wasn't uncomfortably tight on the shoulders. And I'm not a large man :wacko:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm lthinking of buying a formal suit and a semi formal jacket.

There seems to be a huge choice from Tesco £65 off the peg to a full tailored affair for £xxxx.

Am I a bit old fashioned buying a suit? They seem to be a bit out of vogue these days.

Does anyone else ever buy them, do you like tailored or off the peg? is there anything you particularly look for or any special recommendations?

What are people's thoughts on them?

debenhams used to do a fitting service, so you could buy and the in-store tailor would adjust as required.

they did have some quite good pierre cardin wool ones for about £200.

I wouldn't bother with the cheap ones, they're a nylon mix and the sheen on them is awful once theyve had a couple of washes.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Archived