House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Buying A Suit / Jacket

I'm lthinking of buying a formal suit and a semi formal jacket.

There seems to be a huge choice from Tesco £65 off the peg to a full tailored affair for £xxxx.

Am I a bit old fashioned buying a suit? They seem to be a bit out of vogue these days.

Does anyone else ever buy them, do you like tailored or off the peg? is there anything you particularly look for or any special recommendations?

What are people's thoughts on them?

I always buy off the peg, I'm reasonably tall and wide shouldered so, um, suit suits without needing to have tailoring. If you're shorter then tailoring is the route.

If you just want a dark suit for occasional wear then something from Matalan or Tesco is fine, try it on of course and don't buy something too tight on the assumption you'll lose weight. Also make sure the trousers are not too short, you want them on your shoes. Buy their most expensive suit, which will still be only about £100, as it will look much better than the cheapo and more importantly feel it. A decent suit will be supremely comfortable, a lot of people were put off suits at an early age because they bought cheap stiff, polyester suits that may have lasted well but scratched and made you sweat.

If you want something really nice without paying the earth then look out for for sales in places like Moss Bros, this time of year is a good one. The sales are genuine - usually half price, and a suit with original price £400 - £600 will look really really good. Far better than the Matalan / Tesco one if you are looking to impress rather than just have "a suit".

Don't worry about getting a "washable" suit, you get cloths impreganted with dry cleaning fluids that you put in a hot tumble dry with a bag and they clean your suit better than any dry cleaners. Sponge any stains beforehand.

M&S washable suits are very good. Worth having at least one if you ever go out drinking heavily after work.

Ah the good old days of getting plastered in a suit after work :-)

There seems to be a huge choice from Tesco £65 off the peg to a full tailored affair for £xxxx.

Am I a bit old fashioned buying a suit? They seem to be a bit out of vogue these days.

Does anyone else ever buy them, do you like tailored or off the peg? is there anything you particularly look for or any special recommendations?

What are people's thoughts on them?

Smart never goes out of fashion.

That said to me there is a difference between going out smart and work smart. For example for work a matched cloth or pinstrip suit is fine, but I find that a bit formal for going out. If I want to go out smart I will normally wear a jacket and trousers, but difference colours. I have a nice grey kind of ridged (maybe like courds but less thick) Calvin Klein jacket that is great for going out in but is not what you would call work attire. Then again I have another Calvin Klein jacket that is classic black, but thicker than a normal suit that does fine for both work and going out. Or it did until the moths had a chew on it.

Sizing depends on the place you go to. I find I need more discrimination than just "36". "36S" fits me fine usually. Tailor made of course being the way to go if you want the best fit.

M&S washable suits are very good. Worth having at least one if you ever go out drinking heavily after work.

This is true - M&S have had cracking value on suits for a couple of years now, plus an in house alteration service which means you can adjust to your personal fit.

If you are going to wear the suit a lot, two pair of trousers always good, to rest them in cycle.

Avoid anything with a shiny polyester fabric, natural fabrics are nicer, avoid a dry cleaning only label....wash or freshen low temp, gentle wash, in washing machine and never iron directly, hang until almost dry and always iron using a damp tea towel steam press. ;)

Can't remember the last time I wore my dinner suit....

M&S is always good for quality off the peg... Boxing days sales (best time to buy at M&S) is less than a Month away..

libspero, on 29 Nov 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

I used to travel overseas a lot with work and ended up ditching the suit and took to wearing a decent, subdued sports jacket instead; it was easier to keep smart, more practical to travel with and more in keeping with the local sensibilities in some other countries. Eventually, I ended up wearing it even when back in the UK, for exactly the same reasons.

Sports jackets/ blazers last for ever as well. I amassed a fair collection of orphaned, useless suit jackets in my time, even when I bought them with two pairs of trousers.

I doubt that decent, well made suits will ever go entirely out of style. Whether they're suitable or not depends on what message you want to be sending out to the world.

I went to a wedding in Italy a few years back. A not so well off relative of mine who grew up on an estate in East London was marrying into a well to do Italian family. The Italian guests were all done up like peacocks, suits and all. Three of the English guests turned up in England Football shirts. They weren't taking the mick or making any kind of conscious statement. They were wearing the nicest the clobber they had. Fair play to them afaic.

I got a suit out of the cupboard the other day, a nice Burberry number. First time in a decade. It was for an interview at a private school my son is going to next year. Wife wanted me to look like a respectable professional rather than an unemployed layabout.

I had to shave too!

I've only ever bought one suit! I was acquitted.

I needed a suit for a wedding a few weeks back, didn't want to go far so went to a nearby outlet centre. They had an M&S outlet with a few suits. The cheapest was like £60 jacket and £30 trousers but polyester. The place had a suit store as well, with some of those brands that you only see in outlet stores, a lot of which seemed expensive for the quality of the fabric and the noticeable abberations in the check patterns etc. After umming and ahing I went back to the M&S outlet and got a jacket, trousers and skinny silk tie for £110. Pure wool suit, one of their "Performance" range. Good fit, seems well made, but the pattern wasn't my first choice (mid-grey with light-grey pin dots all over - think this is called Nailhead) but I wanted wool over polyester or a blend of the two.

Edit: actually I think the pattern is closer to Birdseye than Nailhead, not that it matters at all

Did you opt for a tie or cravat MrP?

The time for cravats were over post 1967, and I didn't work for the BBC!

MrP was wearing a zoot suit.

Now that's much more my style, er, in 1940 something!

Indeed, this is what the typical Lexus driver aspires to:

01550B-Black-and-White-Zoot-Suit-Costume

I'm still not a Mason!

Its a tricky subject. If you have one nearby I reccomend Slater Menswear. Decent gear at pretty much outlet prices along with generally knowledgeable staff.

Avoid chain store off the peg unless you're of absolutely average build. I have a suit shop where I buy mine and they describe me as 'German build' shorter and stockier than the average Brit and pick me suits to fit.

On the subject of quality, many years ago I had a Dolce and Gabanna suit I picked up in a rare genuine sale. I grew out of it pretty quickly so I handed it on to my cousin. Him and his friends wore it to every single formal occasion for the next 10 years. 3 of his friends were married in it. It took some serious hammer, held up superbly and never went out of fashion.

Wear one every day I' am in the office, just off the peg Asda/Tesco ones, never had a problem. If you where them with regularity get a second pair of trousers.

Wear one every day I' am in the office, just off the peg Asda/Tesco ones, never had a problem. If you where them with regularity get a second pair of trousers.

Obviosly you could dispense with the trousers, if you just sit at a desk!

Got my first suit last year aged 36 for a wedding. I just wear decent trousers and tieless shirt with a tank top to work

Got from tm lewin - seems ok quality but what would I know. They always have 'half price' on - but I think that's more or less their standard price anyway.

I got a slim fit blue job - luckily I must be like a mannequin - as off the peg looks like its made for me. I doubt most are as lucky.

I do own suits - but can't remember the last time I wore one. I got sick of the whole fancy dress thing at work and, one day, just stopped. With a brief interlude at university, I'd worn a tie practically every week day since I started school aged 7. It was a blessed, almost physical, relief to rip it off and chuck in the bin one evening. As the workplace is a bit old fashioned and very much into the suit thing, I was expecting someone to "have a word in my ear". But no, nothing. Not even when I did a presentation to the visiting uber-boss CEO. Only bloke in the room not being strangled by a tie.

Anyway, prompted by this thread, I thought I'd check out some threads (sorry). Is it just me and my faulty memory - or are suits really, really cheap compared with 10 or 15 years ago?