House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Tory Mp 'talks Out' Bill To Protect Tenants With Hour-Long Speech

HOLA441

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/11/landlord-tory-mp-blocks-law-to-protect-tenants-with-hour-long-speech/

Hopes of blocking landlords from evicting tenants who complain about problems in their home were dashed today — after a Tory MP used an hour-long speech to ‘talk out’ the Tenancies (Reform) Bill. Protections against retaliatory eviction now stand little chance of becoming law, despite enjoying cross-party and government support.

Inevitable really. What a twunt.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Scum is the only word. Also shows that he must have worried to pull a stunt like this?

Scum is most definitely not the ONLY word. But the HPC swear filter will overheat if I start using more appropriate words.

When an MP does this, they show complete and utter contempt for the democratic process. Is it any wonder people are turning away from the mainstream parties in droves?

We need political reform, full stop.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Did he not say the bill was rubbish and what we need is longer tenancies not s21s?

What's wrong with that?

Nothing, but that doesn't take an hour. You've just done it in about 3 seconds.

Regardless of whether one thinks the bill itself is good or bad, filibustering is just undemocratic. It shows contempt for the political process because it is done solely to prevent debate.

Edited by Bear Goggles

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Any West Yorkshire HPCers around that could canvass against this vile creature next May?

Might have helped if more MP's had turned up to vote.

My West Yorkshire MP had to attend a dinner the night before at the Huddersfield Civic Society (aka NIMBY's) and was doing a round of school appearances today

HOLA4413

Philip Davies seems to have had some support from yet another UKIP/landlord.

Why is it every member of UKIP appears to be a landlord?

Here is her Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/AlexandralSwann

http://www.alexandraswann.co.uk/

swann.JPG

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4414

Philip Davies seems to have had some support from yet another UKIP/landlord.

Why is it every member of UKIP appears to be a landlord?

Here is her Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/AlexandralSwann

http://www.alexandraswann.co.uk/

swann.JPG

Strange really, Ms Swann and Mr Davies might have strong things to say about the importance of a stable home life. But only if it doesn't impair the short-notice crashpad options for the landlord.

"I should be able to evict with a month's notice for any reason"

No you bloody shouldn't.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Strange really, Ms Swann and Mr Davies might have strong things to say about the importance of a stable home life. But only if it doesn't impair the short-notice crashpad options for the landlord.

No you bloody shouldn't.

I've heard many a landlord argue they have little rights to evict tenants because they have to go to court to secure an eviction, even though this process can be fast tracked and that an end of a fixed term is the only reason required to evict a tenant.

They often argue they should be able to evict more easily because they've maybe had a problem with a tenant that didn't pay their rent and it cost them a little to go to court. But the thing is, the vast majority of tenants pay their rent regularly, on time and in full. Otherwise the entire private rented industry would ground to a halt. But that doesn't happen does it. They seem to be making a lot of money.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I've heard many a landlord argue they have little rights to evict tenants because they have to go to court to secure an eviction, even though this process can be fast tracked and that an end of a fixed term is the only reason required to evict a tenant.

They often argue they should be able to evict more easily because they've maybe had a problem with a tenant that didn't pay their rent and it cost them a little to go to court. But the thing is, the vast majority of tenants pay their rent regularly, on time and in full. Otherwise the entire private rented industry would ground to a halt. But that doesn't happen does it. They seem to be making a lot of money.

It's funny how the argument about serving notice is always turned into a proposition about dealing with blatant breaches of contract rather than what rights someone ought to have to turf out people who are paying rent and honouring their commitments.

What good is an S21 if you are really dealing with people who are not going to move out unless forced anyway?

the fact the eviction process for blatant nonpayers may be deficient is not good enough reason to turf out people who pay on time. Worth remembering that politicians will instinctively defend mortgage payers in arrears, but ******o Davies wants to reserve the right to sling the same people as he sees fit, if they rent.

Swann is a child psychologist, apparently. Jesus wept.

@cheeznbreed · 11 mins11 minutes ago

@AlexandralSwann Does a stable home (or lack thereof) play any part in a person's psychological development, in your view?

Edited by Joan of The Tower

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It's funny how the argument about serving notice is always turned into a proposition about dealing with blatant breaches of contract rather than what rights someone ought to have to turf out people who are paying rent and honouring their commitments.

What good is an S21 if you are really dealing with people who are not going to move out unless forced anyway?

the fact the eviction process for blatant nonpayers may be deficient is not good enough reason to turf out people who pay on time. Worth remembering that politicians will instinctively defend mortgage payers in arrears, but ******o Davies wants to reserve the right to sling the same people as he sees fit, if they rent.

Swann is a child psychologist, apparently. Jesus wept.

Swann has that slightly thicko privileged caught in the headlights look about her, is she?

HOLA4422

...Swann is a child psychologist, apparently. Jesus wept.

Completely off topic, anecdotal and just because it bothers me, but in my experience many child psychologists are simply sanctioned experts in f#cking up children; 1. Physically threatened and hurt his wife then left her with two children (one severely disabled) for another woman; 2. Gave the daughter the family adopted as a baby back to social services because she found knowledge of the child's terminal hereditary disease difficult to deal with; Some others. Conclude that despite all reports (including their own) detailing concerns and needs for neglected and abused kids, they and social services have done everything they could and <whatever predictably happened next> was completely unpredictable and nothing to do with them. It's particularly great when they refuse to sign their own reports.

To any child psychologists reading this, yes some are also brilliant. Unlike politicians, who all seem to be sanctioned experts in f#cking things up for others.

HOLA4423

No you bloody shouldn't.

Surely it's all about what the agreement is between the landlord and you, his customer.

I always make sure that I have between six and eighteen months unexpired tenancy agreed at any given time, ie I agree another year when the existing agreement gets down to six months. As long as you have everything in writing, emails should be fine, you pay the rent on time and do not wreck the place, it would be extremely difficult for a landlord to obtain an eviction notice before the end of the agreed term. If I chose to rent on a month by month basis, I would expect to be given two months notice if, for whatever reason, the landlord wanted his house back.

HOLA4424

I may be right wing, but the conservatives have just lost my support

Yep.

About where I am (and have been for a while actually).

No alternative either.

UKIP are a party of NIMBYs and landlords.

We've lost our party in the same way real old Labour workers lost theirs to Bliar.

I honestly despair.

HOLA4425
As long as you have everything in writing, emails should be fine, you pay the rent on time and do not wreck the place, it would be extremely difficult for a landlord to obtain an eviction notice before the end of the agreed term.

That's a bit of a moot point though I'd be interested to see a breakdown of how people get evicted. I'd have thought refusal to renew a tenancy at the end of a fixed term would be a big one. The reason might be because the landlord refuses to do repairs or it could be that the tenant has rent arrears but neither of these things would be relevant when it comes to court. The end of the fix term, results in the eviction of the tenant. That's the problem in my opinion.

This is not about the ability of landlords to obtain eviction notices before the of the agreed term, this about the absolute power landlords behold to evict tenants at end of terms without having to give any reason other than the term is coming to an end.