House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bear Goggles

Landlord Tory Mp 'talks Out' Bill To Protect Tenants With Hour-Long Speech

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/11/landlord-tory-mp-blocks-law-to-protect-tenants-with-hour-long-speech/

Hopes of blocking landlords from evicting tenants who complain about problems in their home were dashed today — after a Tory MP used an hour-long speech to ‘talk out’ the Tenancies (Reform) Bill. Protections against retaliatory eviction now stand little chance of becoming law, despite enjoying cross-party and government support.

Inevitable really. What a twunt.

Scum is the only word. Also shows that he must have worried to pull a stunt like this?

Scum is most definitely not the ONLY word. But the HPC swear filter will overheat if I start using more appropriate words.

When an MP does this, they show complete and utter contempt for the democratic process. Is it any wonder people are turning away from the mainstream parties in droves?

We need political reform, full stop.

Did he not say the bill was rubbish and what we need is longer tenancies not s21s?

What's wrong with that?

Nothing, but that doesn't take an hour. You've just done it in about 3 seconds.

Regardless of whether one thinks the bill itself is good or bad, filibustering is just undemocratic. It shows contempt for the political process because it is done solely to prevent debate.

Edited by Bear Goggles

That people vote for these idiots does parliament and democracy a great disservice.

That parliament permits this behaviour shames all MPs.

He now shares a flat in London with fellow MP Esther McVey.[51]

Nuff said.

Did he not say the bill was rubbish and what we need is longer tenancies not s21s?

What's wrong with that?

He said an S21 should be kept for when the LL fancies moving back in, among other things. Seems he espouses Labours proposals- a nameplate 3 year tenancy but with such lax S21 clauses it means jack all.

Ownership of BTL by MPs should not be permitted. I would actually argue that they shouldn't be allowed a second form of income (consultancy, work, being a rentier) while in office. And severe penalties if they breach this or get their immediate relatives to do it for them.

Any West Yorkshire HPCers around that could canvass against this vile creature next May?

Might have helped if more MP's had turned up to vote.

My West Yorkshire MP had to attend a dinner the night before at the Huddersfield Civic Society (aka NIMBY's) and was doing a round of school appearances today

Philip Davies seems to have had some support from yet another UKIP/landlord.

Why is it every member of UKIP appears to be a landlord?

Here is her Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/AlexandralSwann

http://www.alexandraswann.co.uk/

swann.JPG

Edited by aSecureTenant

Philip Davies seems to have had some support from yet another UKIP/landlord.

Why is it every member of UKIP appears to be a landlord?

Here is her Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/AlexandralSwann

http://www.alexandraswann.co.uk/

swann.JPG

Strange really, Ms Swann and Mr Davies might have strong things to say about the importance of a stable home life. But only if it doesn't impair the short-notice crashpad options for the landlord.

"I should be able to evict with a month's notice for any reason"

No you bloody shouldn't.

Strange really, Ms Swann and Mr Davies might have strong things to say about the importance of a stable home life. But only if it doesn't impair the short-notice crashpad options for the landlord.

No you bloody shouldn't.

I've heard many a landlord argue they have little rights to evict tenants because they have to go to court to secure an eviction, even though this process can be fast tracked and that an end of a fixed term is the only reason required to evict a tenant.

They often argue they should be able to evict more easily because they've maybe had a problem with a tenant that didn't pay their rent and it cost them a little to go to court. But the thing is, the vast majority of tenants pay their rent regularly, on time and in full. Otherwise the entire private rented industry would ground to a halt. But that doesn't happen does it. They seem to be making a lot of money.

Wow there is more. This is one mean piece of UKIP/Tory/Rentier sh*t.

swannn.JPG

Edited by aSecureTenant

I've heard many a landlord argue they have little rights to evict tenants because they have to go to court to secure an eviction, even though this process can be fast tracked and that an end of a fixed term is the only reason required to evict a tenant.

They often argue they should be able to evict more easily because they've maybe had a problem with a tenant that didn't pay their rent and it cost them a little to go to court. But the thing is, the vast majority of tenants pay their rent regularly, on time and in full. Otherwise the entire private rented industry would ground to a halt. But that doesn't happen does it. They seem to be making a lot of money.

It's funny how the argument about serving notice is always turned into a proposition about dealing with blatant breaches of contract rather than what rights someone ought to have to turf out people who are paying rent and honouring their commitments.

What good is an S21 if you are really dealing with people who are not going to move out unless forced anyway?

the fact the eviction process for blatant nonpayers may be deficient is not good enough reason to turf out people who pay on time. Worth remembering that politicians will instinctively defend mortgage payers in arrears, but ******o Davies wants to reserve the right to sling the same people as he sees fit, if they rent.

Swann is a child psychologist, apparently. Jesus wept.

@cheeznbreed · 11 mins11 minutes ago

@AlexandralSwann Does a stable home (or lack thereof) play any part in a person's psychological development, in your view?

Edited by Joan of The Tower

It's funny how the argument about serving notice is always turned into a proposition about dealing with blatant breaches of contract rather than what rights someone ought to have to turf out people who are paying rent and honouring their commitments.

What good is an S21 if you are really dealing with people who are not going to move out unless forced anyway?

the fact the eviction process for blatant nonpayers may be deficient is not good enough reason to turf out people who pay on time. Worth remembering that politicians will instinctively defend mortgage payers in arrears, but ******o Davies wants to reserve the right to sling the same people as he sees fit, if they rent.

Swann is a child psychologist, apparently. Jesus wept.

Swann has that slightly thicko privileged caught in the headlights look about her, is she?

...Swann is a child psychologist, apparently. Jesus wept.

Completely off topic, anecdotal and just because it bothers me, but in my experience many child psychologists are simply sanctioned experts in f#cking up children; 1. Physically threatened and hurt his wife then left her with two children (one severely disabled) for another woman; 2. Gave the daughter the family adopted as a baby back to social services because she found knowledge of the child's terminal hereditary disease difficult to deal with; Some others. Conclude that despite all reports (including their own) detailing concerns and needs for neglected and abused kids, they and social services have done everything they could and <whatever predictably happened next> was completely unpredictable and nothing to do with them. It's particularly great when they refuse to sign their own reports.

To any child psychologists reading this, yes some are also brilliant. Unlike politicians, who all seem to be sanctioned experts in f#cking things up for others.

No you bloody shouldn't.

Surely it's all about what the agreement is between the landlord and you, his customer.

I always make sure that I have between six and eighteen months unexpired tenancy agreed at any given time, ie I agree another year when the existing agreement gets down to six months. As long as you have everything in writing, emails should be fine, you pay the rent on time and do not wreck the place, it would be extremely difficult for a landlord to obtain an eviction notice before the end of the agreed term. If I chose to rent on a month by month basis, I would expect to be given two months notice if, for whatever reason, the landlord wanted his house back.