House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Sutton

Nationwide +0,3%

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/about/house-price-index/Nov_2014.pdf

The annual pace of house price growth continued to soften in November, falling from 9.0% in October to 8.5%, marking the third consecutive month where annual growth has moderated.

This is despite house prices increasing by 0.3% month on month in November.

It's actually up £55. In fact, it's moved up £500 over the last five months, which has been presented as four MoM rises and one fall. I also believe this is a new nominal peak? It seems Nationwide's calculator is broken and incapable of handling minus figures...

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/house-price-index/methodology#xtab:twistyitem1-what-data

'House price information is derived from Nationwide lending data for properties at the post survey approval stage.'

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/25/nationwide-uk-mortgage-lending-falls

'Building society says net mortgage lending slumped by £2bn to £3.6bn in the six months to the end of September.'

?

Al JaBeeba

The annual house price has been falling since June, when growth peaked at 11.4%. Now it's only 8.5% higher than this time last year. It's worth remembering that house price growth is coming off a low base as well. Property values (that's the average for the whole of the UK) only began to rise in the summer of 2013, as the effects of the Funding for Lending and Help to Buy schemes began to be felt.

Low base!!

Nice to see an admission that FLS and HTB were purely to boost prices...

Struck me today that the Market was better than usual for the end of November...two really bad times for the market...running into Christmas and running into the summer holidays. If you are getting any sales at all and stock isn't starting to pile up then the Market is surviving...about 25% of stock sold around Nottingham, should be about 10% during this falling off a cliff period. Could be because we are still getting a bit of a ripple off the London boom, may not be the case for other areas which might be washed out further south or not even seen the ripple further north.

Edited by crashmonitor

I'm amazed the nationwide figures haven't collapsed yet.

My personal conclusion, they must be up to their necks in it.

The year on year is falling. I think Nationwide mentioned it is a general slowdown being experienced across whole of country. Though there is Autumn statement next week so they would stay that!

I think even with a slowdown hpi can stay year on year positive for election. Some posters on here did some analysis on this.

The year on year is falling. I think Nationwide mentioned it is a general slowdown being experienced across whole of country. Though there is Autumn statement next week so they would stay that!

I think even with a slowdown hpi can stay year on year positive for election. Some posters on here did some analysis on this.

Annual stats can add gloss to a falling trend, the Halifax annual stat in particular is like trying to turn around a super tanker, their moving average is actually effected by 14 month old data not even in the year concerned.

Annual stats can add gloss to a falling trend, the Halifax annual stat in particular is like trying to turn around a super tanker, their moving average is actually effected by 14 month old data not even in the year concerned.

Yes this may explain why their rhetoric is different as they have spotted a slowdown in their internal data. The hpi report team are told to spin as it's just marketing ?